Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default New help Choosing Bow!

Im gonna be new to bowhunting and need to know what kind bow to get. I want one that I can use all all types of Big game from deer and elk to bear. Im about 6'1/6'2. Price is not an Issue.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM

The one that fits you best.....go to a good shop and see how they feel in your hand and what feels best for you......

I can tell you what I shoot well, but it wont make a lick of difference if it doenst 'fit' you well.....so the best thing to do is go and try them out and see what works for ya.

Depending on where you live, you can get a bunch of reccomendations of shops to visit. Personally if you're around Calgary I would try the CAC.

Trev
Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Where are you from? Save up about $400-600 minimum to get your set up. Go and try out some bows. Rackmastr hit the nail on the head. Every bow is different on each person. Remember you don't need a bow that will shoot 350 feet per second to kill any of the animals you listed.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
Where are you from? Save up about $400-600 minimum to get your set up. Go and try out some bows. Rackmastr hit the nail on the head. Every bow is different on each person. Remember you don't need a bow that will shoot 350 feet per second to kill any of the animals you listed.
$400-600 is most likely low if you're buying a full setup.

I would budget for $1000-1600 depending on what type of gear you want and what type of accessories you are looking for. Its quite easy to spend that much VERY quickly on a setup....even higher if you are buying a high-end bow with some high end equipment.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

Im In calgary, what kind of setup are you talking about exactly? when I look at bows from say cabelas or bass pro, they all come with arrows and point and everything else that I assume I need to shoot a bow. Whats a good make of bow to get? I want something thats durable and not gonna break and fail after a few years or a few days or bad weather.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM

I personally think you should head down to either the Calgayr Archery Centre or Jimbows and have a look.

I dont like the idea of buying a 'kit' setup. I think you can do better on picking the bow up bare and buying the accessories to go with it that YOU want. Arrows, etc as well.

Most/all bows are durable and wont be falling apart due to bad weather. If you buy from either of those shops, they will sell you quality gear and let you know what works for your uses....

As for brand...take your pick....

Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Darton, APA, Bowtech, Diamond, Bear Archery, etc, etc!!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Do yourself a favor, find a local archery club, go, check everyones rig out, shoot every demo bow you can get your hands on, talk to your local shooters. You will find quickly what you like, and don't like. Just remember to stick with a decent brand, don't get too cauight up in the hype (everyone has there favorites). Be weary of crappy tire/walmartish stuff, from what I have seen up here, and I would expect the same in cowtown, its not high quality stuff. Hope that helps some, good luck, archery is addictive
Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

Once again, Just like my turkey thread I am over whlemed with Info. Thank you very much for all the info it has helped me greatly!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
Im gonna be new to bowhunting and need to know what kind bow to get. I want one that I can use all all types of Big game from deer and elk to bear. Im about 6'1/6'2. Price is not an Issue.
Check out a PSE Xforce Dream Season 7"BH and will go to 31" draw length.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Seeing that you are a beginner i would look at a bow with a bigger brace height, Minimum 7",this will be a little more forgiving if your form isnt perfect and just easier to shoot overall. And seeing that you are a taller person you might benefit from a bow with a longer Axel to Axel such as 34" or greater. Good luck with choosing a bow, its alway fun shopping for new toys.. Cheers!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I personally think you should head down to either the Calgayr Archery Centre or Jimbows and have a look.

I dont like the idea of buying a 'kit' setup. I think you can do better on picking the bow up bare and buying the accessories to go with it that YOU want. Arrows, etc as well.

Most/all bows are durable and wont be falling apart due to bad weather. If you buy from either of those shops, they will sell you quality gear and let you know what works for your uses....

As for brand...take your pick....

Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Darton, APA, Bowtech, Diamond, Bear Archery, etc, etc!!
I agree with everything said here. The bows that I would recommend for a beginner right now (having tried a bunch lately), that would blend forgiveness and performance very well would be the Diamond Iceman, and the APA Viper. Both are rated around 320fps (real world 280fps with your draw length and a very forgiving 425gr arrow at 70#) and both have 7"+ brace heights and reasonable axle to axle lengths.
Go down to the Archery Center, they were always good with me.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM

goo shoot an apa viper and you'll fall in love with it...Super super smooth...I personally shoot a Ross but these days the companies are soo competitive your gunna get a quality product from about everyone....pick up a buyers guide and shoot some bows down at jim bows...He wouldn't steer you wrong..

Best of luck
Enjoy the sport

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.