Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM

Default Commander-in-Chief takes heat...

Commander-in-Chief takes heat over gutting seal, popping a chunk of raw flesh into her mouth and wiping her bloody hands on...

Gotta admit, I had a lot of reservations about her appointment. But I don't recall her ever failing us yet.

In Rankin Inlet she showed support for the Inuit way of life and by extension the seal hunt in general. Of course there was outrage from Europe and animal rights groups the world over. The EU is expected to ban seal products soon.

Asked whether her actions were a message to Europe, Jean replied, "Take from that what you will."

Some of our leaders need to learn how she grew her cohones................. this is so un-PC and so un-regal ......I like her for a political career next. Is she Con? I don't care for her husband at all though .

Hail to the Chief
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Thumbs up no worries!

I say hats off to her. She has done something that all politicians should do and that is support the people! What a great way to support the Inuit and the culture of the north.

If she was somewhere in Southern Canada and had a meal with some local folk would it upset everyone???

In my mind, she is doing a good job!

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM

two thumbs up. We are Canadian
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention Ehntr. I was/am of the same train of though in regards to her as you are, but this was an amazing gesture. Kudos I say. I have a sense that she has the intestinal fortitude to both withstand and triumph over any of the sanctimonious BS. Hats off to you madame!

Tree
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM

I saw this on the news this evening and it made me smile!

Screw you EU!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Good for her!

I've never thought much of the position of the Gov General; as to me its about as useful as mammaries on a bull. I'm happy she's at least added some cohones to the title though.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM

bought time we got someone important to "flip the bird" at those non-Canucks trying to tell Canada how to live (politically speaking of course )
Hail to the Chief X 2
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Good for her! Even though I think the GG posotion should be abolished as it's useless and a waste of money, she's a huge improvement over that bag before her, Adrienne Clarkson.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 AM

Good for her,

I had to laugh at this part though,

Quote:
Meanwhile, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals stepped up its campaign against Canada's commercial seal hunt by calling on Americans to boycott Canadian-made maple syrup.

But Simon Trepanier, a spokesman for the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, said he doesn't understand what seals have to do with maple syrup.
A boycott on maple syrup makes absolutely no sense, I'm half tempted to write PETA a letter stating I got the memo about the maple syrup, but since I need to have something on my pancakes and waffles, I will be buying bottles of seal bits to substitute.

What a bunch of out of touch morons.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 AM

I saw the clip last night. No, she didn't gut the thing herself, and she had a little nibble and that's it.

The homos on Global were clucking that she was 'as bad as Sarah Palin' (She is one of those evil hunters that shoots moose, dontchya know...).

My guess is that the outraged liberal lickspittles behind this will soon discover that GG Jean is black, female...and that will make everything OK and they will withdraw their objections in the interests of political correctness.

Pbbfbfbfft. Somebody wake me up is Canada actually does something truly ballsy like telling PETA and the 'anti-seal fur' Europeans to FOAD.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 AM

I agree with you guys. I don't see a need for the position and I'd like to see it go. It really bothered me how that one before her just flew all over the place...

But when I saw the news yesterday, just like you guys, I take my hat off to her!

Maybe next she can kill the long gun registry.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Default atta gal!

God bless her! I really had my doubts, but this clears all of them up for sure!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM

I know first hand what a wonderful woman she is outside the scope of her title and role in Canadian government.

Her actions supported a visible minority in Canada that deserves the support of our government to preserve cultural identity, just as all of our First Nations groups do. That doesn't mean special treatment mind you - but recognition and respect of traditions.

Her actions have drawn considerable heat from anti-hunting groups, anti-fur groups, and anti-culture groups across this country and I've been disgusted at the racially crass, ill-worded, and downright racist commentary from MANY Canadians. We need to be just a vocal in support of her actions, and the traditions of hunting for sustenance (meat and fur) to counter these vocal minority special interest groups.

It's long been said that the 'squeeky wheel gets the oil' and it is very true. Start squeaking folks, because without a voice, we'll be steamrolled by the vegan-anti-fur-soybean-and-hemp minority again.

Comment to your MP, your local fish and game club, the media, and anyone that will listen.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 PM

It amazes me how certain media perspectives link the GG's participation in a cultural event to support for the commercial seal hunt. Bravo to her for not being squeamish.

Just another event where PETA skirts the issues. Who actually cares about the GG's opinion on commercial hunting? She holds a symbolic post without any legitimate political authority. Even if she did weild true authority, eating a chunk of seal really has no connection to the commercial hunt.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Is it possible to get seal meat in Calgary. I'd love to throw a seal steak on the barby. I'd love to actually support the industry instead of just joining silly facebook groups.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Uh, let's see now - seals mean meat and food, right?
And the people "Up North" need to eat, right?
And , this PETA is against these people ( and anyone else) hunting and eating meat, fish, whatever?
Hookay, I've got it now!
Our GG eats a bit of seal meat and it's "Off with her head" screamed by a bunch of yahoos that want Canadians to throw away every thradition they have that involves critters!
I have a solution - NUKE 'EM!!
How dare they try and cry foul on us, our GG, and any people who still try and stick to their old hunting and eating ways.
There, I feel better - pass the maple Surpl pleeze! ( still haven't got my head around the connection!)
Cat
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

This is all political posing and bullschitt, the once-respected position of GG, who is NOT, as Jean said to Obama, when he visited, "The Chief of State", has been very deliberately politicized and corrupted by successive governments headed by, largely, Quebecers.

The GG is the REPRESENTATIVE of " The Queen of Canada" and that is bloody well ALL she is. This one is a nice looking and sexy wench, her predecessor was and is an arrogant and contempible woman and BOTH of them are foreign-born.

I happen to support the POSITIONS of separate "Head of State" and "Leader of the Government" in Canada and would like to see the GG be ELECTED by an ELECTED Senate and the Premiers of the Provinces/Territories on a five year, once-only basis. Such a GG would HAVE to be BORN in Canada and NO political activity, absolutely NONE would be allowed.

I also want to see the practice of having a "francophone" as every second GG stopped, the position SHOULD be open to ALL native-born Canadians and that means NO special status for the minority language called "French" here; we should stop "Official Bilingualism" while we are at it!

Last edited by Kutenay; 05-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post

I also want to see the practice of having a "francophone" as every second GG stopped, the position SHOULD be open to ALL native-born Canadians and that means NO special status for the minority language called "French" here; we should stop "Official Bilingualism" while we are at it!
X2
Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM

I heard tonight on the news that next time she would like to acually go on the hunt. This is after all the uproar by the antis! Good on her.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I know first hand what a wonderful woman she is outside the scope of her title and role in Canadian government.

Her actions supported a visible minority in Canada that deserves the support of our government to preserve cultural identity, just as all of our First Nations groups do. That doesn't mean special treatment mind you - but recognition and respect of traditions.

Her actions have drawn considerable heat from anti-hunting groups, anti-fur groups, and anti-culture groups across this country and I've been disgusted at the racially crass, ill-worded, and downright racist commentary from MANY Canadians. We need to be just a vocal in support of her actions, and the traditions of hunting for sustenance (meat and fur) to counter these vocal minority special interest groups.

It's long been said that the 'squeeky wheel gets the oil' and it is very true. Start squeaking folks, because without a voice, we'll be steamrolled by the vegan-anti-fur-soybean-and-hemp minority again.

Comment to your MP, your local fish and game club, the media, and anyone that will listen.
very good post, I agree completely
let's go out into the forums and make ourselves heard
Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Default Kudos

Kudos to her for trying to be a Canadian instead of suckholing to the European elite. But, frankly it's just another government position that is in place to provide a patronage appointment for some self-involved deep-thinking waste of skin. The position should be scrapped (along with a host of other gov't positions) and the money returned to Canadians (so we can buy more guns and 4x4's).
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=Kutenay;326762]This is all political posing and bullschitt, the once-respected position of GG, who is NOT, as Jean said to Obama, when he visited, "The Chief of State", has been very deliberately politicized and corrupted by successive governments headed by, largely, Quebecers.

The GG is the REPRESENTATIVE of " The Queen of Canada" and that is bloody well ALL she is. This one is a nice looking and sexy wench, her predecessor was and is an arrogant and contempible woman and BOTH of them are foreign-born.

/QUOTE]

I wondered where the "Commander in Chief" title came from as well!
And yes, I really disliked what the last GG was all about.
Cat
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Pants View Post
A boycott on maple syrup makes absolutely no sense, I'm half tempted to write PETA a letter stating I got the memo about the maple syrup, but since I need to have something on my pancakes and waffles, I will be buying bottles of seal bits to substitute.
LOL! Please do it! Then post PETA's reply. Should be hilarious.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I wondered where the "Commander in Chief" title came from as well!
And yes, I really disliked what the last GG was all about.
Cat
As de-facto head of state, the GG's always been C-in-C of the forces. But I think the C-in-C-ness of the Governor General's as symbolic as her position as Head of State.

I used to serve her and her husband coffee on St-Denis street in another life. Both extremely intelligent people. Nice, too. As for the office of the GG, I have no problem with it. I'd rather that than a president. Ultimately, I don't think that such a symbolic office matters one way or the other, though. And I personally *like* the fact that, unlike our southern neighbours, you don't have to be born here to be head of state.

To get this back on track, I support what she did as well. It was a choice to support her country rather than kowtowing to foreign sensibilities. I mean, Jeez: She was at a trad Inuit event. What was she supposed to do? insult her hosts to please the Euros?

Gimmie a break. Buy a bottle of syrup to celebrate.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.

Last edited by roadkill; 05-28-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
The position should be scrapped (along with a host of other gov't positions) and the money returned to Canadians (so we can buy more guns and 4x4's).
LOL! Touché.