Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Default PETA calls for boycott on Maple Syrup

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article...41/1003/NEWS02
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Unfrickenbelievable........too stunned to say anything else.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Wow. Stupid.

I mean, really now...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Hell if we can't sell our maple syrup all these vegan types sure are going to eat some bland pancakes.

Well with no use for the maple trees we may as well get tree to fell em all and turn em into hakapiks!

Canada produces more toilet paper than maple syrup. If these vegan warrior types were serious about causing economic harm to our great nation they would boycott single and double ply! Not only would they bring the economic engine of our country to it's knees, they would have the added benifit of gaining group recognition.

These high fiber warriors would be easy to identify: Skinny folks who smell like crap.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM

What gets me is it's always the same incorrect info these people spew, (1) we don't kill baby seals it's illegal to kill whitecoats (2) we ain't been using the Hakapiks for years (3) We don't club them
Also you never hear them mention the other countrys Namibia, Greenland, Norway, and Russia.. They don't even mention Quebec, Nova Scotia etc , are involved only Newfoundland is ever mentioned in the papers.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Seals are like gophers back east on the coast. I don't have a problem with a seal hunt. PETA should mind their own business.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Seals are still eating all the fish as well, hence contining the lack of a fishery!! More and more seals every year, less and less fish!

My uncle was just at a big seal dinner over the weekend! Ah the memories of my grandfather getting a big feed of seal flippers in the spring!
HAHA
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Default My 2 cents

Sarah Hinckley

As a proud Canadian it stuns me how poorly researched your article is. I myself am from western Canada and do not participate in the annual seal hunt, nor do I wear fur as a general rule of thumb, though I think my belt and shoes are leather. What shocks me is the horrendous lack of responsible journalism that is evidenced by your article! Is it not the responsibility of every journalist to research an article before publishing it and if possible to at least pay lip service to giving both sides to the story? If you had done so you would of realized that white baby seals are not ever harvested (it is illegal) as well they have not used the traditional hakapik to kill any seal in Canadian waters for many years as it as well is outlawed as a method of killing the seals during the tightly regulated harvest. You are only showing your own ignorance of the facts (which I know are not really a consideration in journalism these days it seems ...... especially American journalism) which in turn makes your whole body of published work suspect. I would suggest in the future instead of blindly believing everything a militant activist like Holly Beal, senior media coordinator for PETA says you should actually do some work and research your article before publishing some laughably false accusations.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Sarah Hinckley

As a proud Canadian it stuns me how poorly researched your article is. I myself am from western Canada and do not participate in the annual seal hunt, nor do I wear fur as a general rule of thumb, though I think my belt and shoes are leather. What shocks me is the horrendous lack of responsible journalism that is evidenced by your article! Is it not the responsibility of every journalist to research an article before publishing it and if possible to at least pay lip service to giving both sides to the story? If you had done so you would of realized that white baby seals are not ever harvested (it is illegal) as well they have not used the traditional hakapik to kill any seal in Canadian waters for many years as it as well is outlawed as a method of killing the seals during the tightly regulated harvest. You are only showing your own ignorance of the facts (which I know are not really a consideration in journalism these days it seems ...... especially American journalism) which in turn makes your whole body of published work suspect. I would suggest in the future instead of blindly believing everything a militant activist like Holly Beal, senior media coordinator for PETA says you should actually do some work and research your article before publishing some laughably false accusations.
Awesome!

Now can you re-word this slightly so I can send a well-written letter of too?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Default My 2 cents

oops

Last edited by Dakota369; 05-27-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Dble post
Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Awesome!

Now can you re-word this slightly so I can send a well-written letter of too?
feel free to edit it anyway you want and send it....
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
feel free to edit it anyway you want and send it....
I was just joking. It's very well written, and I couldn't have said it any better. From past experiances with reporters, they don't really give a hoot as long as it is sensationalism at it's best.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM

dam, I'm getting the urge to whip over to the local grocery store and pick up some maple syrup even though I can't have the stuff Oh he11, I'm sure I know someone that can use it!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Default And she said..........

Quote:
Sarah Hinckley

Cameron,
Thanks so much for sounding off on our profession and the article, I always appreciate feedback.
What you read was a preview to a protest and it has generated a lot of notes from 'proud Canadians.'
While I appreciate your critiquing of how poorly I did my job on that one, I feel your comments may be better directed at the people of PETA.
I do not support their claims, which is why they were attributed to a PETA spokesperson. I do not dispute that I could have researched this subject more... but frankly, I thought it slightly ridiculous to protest the purchasing of Canadian maple syrup to make a statement about seals.
That's just my opinion and I thank you for sharing yours with me.
Enjoy your day,
Sarah Hinckley
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Well as always the media steps up to the plate and takes responsibility for its mistakes
Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
What gets me is it's always the same incorrect info these people spew, (1) we don't kill baby seals it's illegal to kill whitecoats (2) we ain't been using the Hakapiks for years (3) We don't club them
Also you never hear them mention the other countrys Namibia, Greenland, Norway, and Russia.. They don't even mention Quebec, Nova Scotia etc , are involved only Newfoundland is ever mentioned in the papers.
I wrote the author as well and filled her in on the facts. However, I think your points 2 and 3 are incorrect. It's still used, and seals are clubbed with them. This from www.sealharvest.ca , a pro-seal hunting industry site:

Myth #3: The club – or hakapik – is a barbaric and inhumane tool that has no place in today’s world.
Reality: Hunting methods were studied by the Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada and it found that the clubbing of seals, when properly performed, is at least as humane as, and often more humane than, the killing methods used in commercial slaughterhouses, which are accepted by the majority of the public.
Clubs have been used by sealers since the onset of the hunt hundreds of years ago. Hakapiks originated with Norwegian sealers who found it very effective. American studies carried out between 1969 and 1972 proved that the club or hakapik is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely. A 2002 report published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal had results that parallel these findings.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM

If seal meats good for our once concidered Liberal Govenor General, then wip me up a seal steak and some potatoes on the barby. Summer never tasted this good, YUMYUM....
Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
gitrdun

Peta and it's membership should be forced to not eat meat (not an issue) nor vegies, drive cars and use any electrical appliance such as computers. Because all of these evil devices and those used for harvesting are powered through some form of either fossil fuel or atomic energy. In the meantime, I'm going to smoke some salmon into "indian candy" using real Canadian maple syrup....OH no!, I used the word "Indian"....that's a bad word, right?

git
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM

makes me wanna sink a hakapik into a can of maple syrup while "flipping the bird" to the camera, then send it to PETA!!
Cat