Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Flag Flying ..Properly

I went out to Spruce Grove Gun Club on Saturday. The Swiss Rifle Club had another shoot and had a Swiss flag flying. Well..... That's just fine, but don't fly it on a taller flagpole than the Canadian flag. Out of all of their members someone must know, that not only is this insulting, but also illeagal.

If you fly a flag, I'm sure that you know the correct protocol......or should.

If this was just an innocent mistake (tell me no one in the club knows how to fly a flag), please correct it and don't have it happen again.

We may have problems in this country, but I'm a Canadian and proud of it. anyone that isn't, should get the **** out. I want my flag presented properly.

Sorry for the rant, but it is important to me.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 AM

The correct Canadian flag is the Red Ensign.

Last edited by Morbius131; 05-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 AM

While the Lieberals were in power, I flew mine upside down.
Grizz
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Just did a little google search on flying the Canadian flag. I could not find any "laws" about it. Lots of "flag etiquette" and suggested "rules" But no LAW.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM

it's a law duffy. There was a big stink over a ticket a cop wrote in NFLD for flying a US flag above the Canadian flag just after 9-11.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

I recall some flag handling ettiquette from back in my Air Cadet days and I've always adhered to them as I learned them. Never let a flag touch the ground, no flag shall fly higher than ours on Canadian soil (though no problems with having them flying at level elevations). Always have your flag in good condition with no tears or bad fading. Its better to fly no flag at all than to have one flown in a condition that would be considered disrespectful. I've phoned businesses to remind them to either put up new flags or remove them if they're going to fly them with 40% of the flag missing.

I'll be incorporating either a dedicated flagpole or a sturdy bracket on the 10" x 10" s on the front veranda of our new house we're presently building. The roof trusses are half up today
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Sharpedge

Default Flag etiquette

Here you go guys.

Please honour those who fought and died: By doing it right.

http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/pg.../index-eng.cfm

Sharpedge
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM

If it was flying above the Canadian flag, I would call the gun club owners and let them know that if it happens again, a few calls to the local media will follow.

I'm under the impression that 'etiquette' was not taken to law. Gives the 'free speach' bunch an opportunity to burn thier flags. I believe that the design is trademarked which gives the holder some clout.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM

I was at a horse show in Ft. Worth, where they had a detachment, from the local military base, parade the flag into the arena. Very impressive and not likely to happen here.
Grizz
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
it's a law duffy. There was a big stink over a ticket a cop wrote in NFLD for flying a US flag above the Canadian flag just after 9-11.
Any idea where that law would be ? Criminal code I would guess if it is law.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM

It's not a law:

Officially, there is no law that dictates the proper use of the Canadian flag. However, Canadian Heritage released guidelines on how to correctly display the flag alone and with other flags. The guidelines deal with the order of precedence in which the Canadian flag is placed, where the flag can be used, how it is used, and what people should do to honour the flag. The suggestions, titled Flag Etiquette in Canada, were published by Canadian Heritage in book and online formats and last updated in April 2003.[30] The flag itself can be displayed on any day at buildings operated by the Government of Canada, airports, military bases, and diplomatic offices, as well as by citizens, during any time of the day. When flying the flag, it must be flown using its own pole and must not be inferior to other flags, save for, in descending order, the Queen's Personal Standard, the Governor General's Standard, any of the Personal Standards of members of the Canadian Royal Family, or flags of the Lieutenant Governors.[31] The Canadian flag is flown at half-mast in Canada to indicate a period of mourning.

There is etiquette though. The link Sharpedge gave takes you there.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Any idea where that law would be ? Criminal code I would guess if it is law.
no idea, I just remember there being a kerfuffle. Here's what I found, but it post dates the incident.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/etiqtt/101-eng.cfm
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 PM

I have no problems with the Official Alberta flag flying higher than any Canadian flag.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have no problems with the Official Alberta flag flying higher than any Canadian flag.

TF

Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Banned

I have often seen this and there was a restaurant near my home that flew a Chilean flag, twice as large as a badly weathered Canadian flag and ABOVE it on their roof for a few years. They regularly replaced the Chilean banner, however, the Canadian Flag was left to disintegrate.

I want in there and tried to politely talk with them about it, but, it then was "no spicca Ingeles".....

I believe that ANY lack of respect for the "Maple Leaf Flag" or "The Red Ensign" or any of our other official standards, such as provincial flags, should be harshly dealt with and anyone from a foreign country who does this deported and "de-naturalized", period.

To go on will very likely get into the false "racism" imbroglio, but, I am glad to see that most here strongly support OUR flag and it's proper treatment. The concerns that many of us have with large-scale immigration and " official multiculturalism" are a result of problems of this kind.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Can you fly a Japanese flag up-side down ?

And if you did, would it then be a sun set, rather than a rising sun ?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
If it was flying above the Canadian flag, I would call the gun club owners and let them know that if it happens again, a few calls to the local media will follow.

It was flown above and was much larger. The matter is being brought up at the next exec meeting. A director was at the range on Saturday and it was him that actually brought it to my attention, with the comment "that offends me, how 'bout you, and isn't that impropper, to which I replied $8*&%$^ right it's impropper.

I'm under the impression that 'etiquette' was not taken to law. Gives the 'free speach' bunch an opportunity to burn thier flags. I believe that the design is trademarked which gives the holder some clout.

I believe it is law, ran into a situation a few (several) years ago, where an Edmonton Manufacturer had customers in from Libya and was flying their flag above ours. I lost it, and spent the better part of a day getting the protocal and laws pertaining. This was before internet and so phone chase and faxing was involved.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Things can get dicey. The town of Sundre has a bunch of flags they fly, alongside the campground, by main street. They got an official protest from the Republic of Viet Nam, who were insulted, because apparently the flag of the former regime was being flown.
Grizz
Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
I believe it is law, ran into a situation a few (several) years ago, where an Edmonton Manufacturer had customers in from Libya and was flying their flag above ours. I lost it, and spent the better part of a day getting the protocal and laws pertaining. This was before internet and so phone chase and faxing was involved.
Read post #11
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

good thing you all jump to the worst possible senario right off did anyone ask the swiss gun club if the Canadian flag was theirs? maybe they ran their flag up a empty pole not paying attention to the height difference.

glad to see everyone is proud of their country as am I but some of you sound like a bunch of butt holes the way you are going on, hear both sides before making ASSumtions
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Odd..The way you talk and carry on I always thought you flew the ol' red flag with the hammer and sickle on it.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Not sure about the height thing, but I know for a fact that you can receive a large fine for displaying a tattered Canadian flag. It happened at a certain Superstore in Calgary...
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Not sure about the height thing, but I know for a fact that you can receive a large fine for displaying a tattered Canadian flag. It happened at a certain Superstore in Calgary...
Again there is no law for how to display a flag. I highly doubt (unless you have a link to a story) that a Superstore was fined. If there was a fine it has to be a law. And if it is a law, why would a business that isn't required to fly a flag, subject themselves to fines?

There is only a guideline on flag etiquette from Canadian Heritage (http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/etiqtt/101-eng.cfm). It is a respect thing. And if you can be fined for improper etiquette I am sure there would be lots of us with lighter wallets!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

With you on this one elkhunter..

I am an Albertan first then a Canadian second and will be until death.. Thats just the way it is. I actualy don't even consider myself a Canadian I am an Abertan. When I think of a Canadian I see a Liberal homo standing at the Ontario border waiting for more of my money so they can pay for their abortions and gay maraiges and take my guns away,, yup they can kiss my blue blooded Conservative Albertan azz..
Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM

This is one thing I really appreciate the Americana's for is , that 90 % of all businesses and household fly there flag high and proud . Its very rare to see a business let alone a personal residence flying our nations flag . I don't know I personally have A Canadian and American flag , I fly the American flag in memory of my childhood buddy who was killed in 9-11 and will until the day I die . You know how hard is it to have a little Nationalism or whatever the word would be . Many people blame the Americana's for being flag wavers well at least they aren't ashamed of flying there flag . Maybe us as Canadians should fly our Flag high and proud to . Just a thought is all . But Ill continue to fly both for ever .
Old 05-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Again there is no law for how to display a flag. I highly doubt (unless you have a link to a story) that a Superstore was fined. If there was a fine it has to be a law. And if it is a law, why would a business that isn't required to fly a flag, subject themselves to fines?

There is only a guideline on flag etiquette from Canadian Heritage (http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/etiqtt/101-eng.cfm). It is a respect thing. And if you can be fined for improper etiquette I am sure there would be lots of us with lighter wallets!
All I know is my neighbor is the district manager for Superstores around southern Alberta and they got fined for a shabby flag in Calgary. I just called him to confirm the story. He said it depends on municipalities, but major centers like Calgary and Edmonton, its a no no to fly a shabby flag.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:29 PM

Not to sure about it but it might fall under patent or copyright. The owner will allow you to use their patent by following their guidelines and standards. Ow well thats why lawyer a getting big bucks let them figure it out
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
All I know is my neighbor is the district manager for Superstores around southern Alberta and they got fined for a shabby flag in Calgary. I just called him to confirm the story. He said it depends on municipalities, but major centers like Calgary and Edmonton, its a no no to fly a shabby flag.
A local bylaw explains why it wouldnt show up in the crimanal code, I personally would like to see it incrimented everywhere. If your proud enough to display our countrys flag then show it some respect.(think: a safety on a vehicle, if it cant pass the safety its not aloud to be driven on the roads, and if it is, the driver gets fined)
Time and time again I have seen torn, ratty, not fit for a rag for polishing your boat Canadian flag still bravely trying to stand proud, half gone and faded so bad its red is pinkish and its white is stained yellow. We as a whole are proud to be part of this great country and I think our flag, our iconic emblem should be respected and flown proudly.
Donavon
Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM
troller

This is all I can find in the City of Calgary bylaws. I can not find penalties anywhere, they refer you to the etiquette link that has been posted here *shrug*

"DISPLAYING the FLAGS

All flags are to be flown on separate poles.
All flags are to be flown at the same height.
All flags flown in a group are to be the same size (typical size at The City is 3’ x 6’ for indoor or 4’ x 8’ for outdoor).

FLAG ORDER of PRECEDENCE (General Information)
The Governor General’s Flag (Standard) takes precedence over all flags in Canada, except The Queen’s Personal Canadian Flag and the flag of the Lieutenant Governor when the Lieutenant Governor is performing his/her duties as The Queen’s representative in the province.
The Lieutenant Governor’s Flag (Standard) takes precedence over all flags except The Queen’s Personal Canadian Flag.
The National Flag takes precedence over all other flags. When flown with other provincial, territorial and municipal flags, the National Flag occupies the position of honour (refer to the federal guidelines to define the position of honour in different circumstances).
When provincial and territorial flags are flown with the National Flag, the order is determined by the date of entry into Confederation of the provinces and the creation of the territories.
The provincial and territorial flags shall be displayed from left to right: Canada, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, British Columbia, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory, and Nunavut.
When flown or displayed in Canada, the Union Jack serves two purposes. First, it is the national flag of the United Kingdom, and second, it is flown as a symbol of membership in the Commonwealth and allegiance to the Crown as approved by Parliament on December 18, 1964.
When representing Canada’s membership in the Commonwealth or allegiance to the Crown, the Union Jack takes precedence after a provincial / territorial flag.
The Calgary Flag takes precedence over all community and / or ethnic flags.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Its very rare to see a business let alone a personal residence flying our nations flag .
You come hang with me BBJ. My house has a flag. My work coveralls have a flag. My Kenworth has a flag. My camper has a flag. My SUV has a flag. My custom 73 F-100 will have a flag in its paint job. Proudly Canadian till the day I die.