Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Is BassPro at full stock yet?

I was wondering if Bass Pro was near full stock yet.
I havent gone there in over a month, it was a waste of my time to drive there last time I went.

I am specifically wondering about Reloading supplies, Any trimmer parts, Powder, Bullets, Brass. That type of stuff.

Aftermarket stocks? for anything other than a 10/22?

Im not going there again till they are stocked.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Nope

Was there yesterday. Everything you mentioned was still bare shelves.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
Dream on.......Like wholesale sports, SIR, Cabellas and Bass pro will never ever have fully stocked shelves in any gun department in Canadian stores. Cripes even the American stores are sucking the hind tit trying to get stock for their firearms department, good luck with that in Canada.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
I havent gone there in over a month, it was a waste of my time to drive there last time I went.

I am specifically wondering about Reloading supplies, Any trimmer parts, Powder, Bullets, Brass. That type of stuff.

Aftermarket stocks? for anything other than a 10/22?

Im not going there again till they are stocked.

Thanks,

Brian

x2 on what Bushrat said.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-23-2009, 05:47 PM

If I was in charge, I wouldn't be in any great rush to stock reloading stuff anyways....generally speaking, there's not great margins in that stuff.

Smart business says to stock high margin, high turnover items.....
Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
If I was in charge, I wouldn't be in any great rush to stock reloading stuff anyways....generally speaking, there's not great margins in that stuff.

Theres better margins in gun accesories than in guns, guns have one of the lowest profit margins of just about anything. Thats why those stores are full of clothing and everything that isn't guns, thats where they make their money. Store owner told me they wouldn't sell guns if they didn't have too just so they could sell everything else that goes with them.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Hoochie Papa

But an empty shelf gets no profit margin at all.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:40 PM

They're selling primers now but nothing in stock, small pistol was all they had yesterday. Their powder bunker hasn't been built yet, still waiting on a contractor.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
They're selling primers now but nothing in stock, small pistol was all they had yesterday. Their powder bunker hasn't been built yet, still waiting on a contractor.
I've been in it. It's built.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Just can't get good intel any more. This was told to me by an employee behind the gun counter yesterday.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Thumbs down bad news for lefties...

I was in today (saturday) for a bit on my way to visit in Calgary. Not one left handed rifle of any kind on the shelf- rimfire or centerfire. Very disappointing to say the least. Barely any reloading stuff at all but I did find another Lee hand primer for $21.

P & D's will continue to get most of my business.

bigd
Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, but it draws people into the store, so you can sell them that other ****.
I was there on Friday and the bullet display is virtually empty. Had to settle for my third choice.
Grizz
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
Just can't get good intel any more. This was told to me by an employee behind the gun counter yesterday.
It's not really that big of a room, the storage area behind the gun counter is pretty small considering the size of the store. The powder room appeared to be complete when I was there, but maybe there's some shelving and things like that to be finished. Last time I was back there was before it opened as part of a site tour.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Well you figure they would make sure they would have some stock at least.
Especailly after the hype they created when they opened the place.

Anyone know where I can get some IMR 4350?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 PM

I was in at Bass Pro the other day for the first time. I was surprised to see some empty shelves. A little dissapointed to be honest.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 PM

impressive store, ammo shelf was almost bear except for the 25 wssm's ,,,,seems no one shoots that caliber LOL!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Once again, another dissappionting trip out there......no buck shot, no bricks of 22 RF, the boots I had gotten a raincheck on because they were out(imagine that) were on sale before for $99. bucks, are now off sale for $99. bucks and I'm not sure if they are in stock as by the time I got to the boot selection and saw that, I decided they aren't getting any more of my money for a long time. They have a couple of items cheaper then Jimbows but I will gladly give Jim the extra cash.

BPS can lick balls
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM

I finally went last week. Sort of a half empty/half full experience. I liked it, liked much of what I saw, but expected more so was a BIT disappointed. Perhaps we all built it up too much, and never having been in a BPS or Cabellas before I was expecting much more. Big store but the merchandise is pretty spread out so there is less there than the space would suggest.
Canoes were a real disappointment. Poor quality. General "sporting" clothing was nice and abundant (sorta like Eddie Bauer), but they look to have much less hunting/camo than WSS.

I may go again from time to time, but what it made me feel overall is that I wasn't missing too much by simply continuing to go to WSS, which is WAY closer to me. I also sense that WSS has stepped it up a notch since BPS was set to open. Heck, they even extended their store closing hours so I can actually shop there after work! Competition is good!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM

I have been shopping around for a rifle for quite a while now - BP was about 100$ cheaper than WSS for what I wanted - but that was only on "paper"....

In reality WSS could special order my item within 1 week, while BP was "wait and see" attitude, maybe we will get it in, don't know.

So I bought @ WSS.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Been in the store a few times since they opened and the inventory is going and not getting re stocked. The manager in the gun department said they were having some problems with import permits. As far as lefties they have never had any in..
Great service second to none in the Calgary area but with no inventory I guess service does not matter..
Gramps
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed with this place. Considering how much stock they carry it seems they never have everything you are looking for. I would suggest to anyone with a long drive to call ahead to make sure they have what you need before you go. The novelty of all the impressive mounts wears off after your first visit (or two) Should be better once it is completely stocked.
On a side note - I recommend avoiding the camping department manager. The guy is beyond useless.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM

I have to say I have been disappointed with the stock situation.

The WOW factor has worn off, now i see the holes in their stock.

They made a killing in the first month, mainly because of all the hype they created about the place. The main body of the crowds were made up of armchair outdoorsmen, who just simply had to go there and buy stuff, stuff they probably will never use and is still probably is sitting in the BPS bags.

I stopped at WSS on the way home from fishing yesterday, it was the best service I have ever had there, they had 2 of the 3 things I went there for( I didnt have much hope for the 3rd item though.(Anyone want to sell me some IMR 4350?)

I will comtinue to shop at WSS and Russells, BPS is like Walmart, They have a bit of everything and thats about it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM

No.....
Give em a break, they just opened a little over a month ago.

I've been into BP 4 or 5 times and have yet to come out empty handed or disappointed. Always got what I was looking for. (wasn't looking for ammo) I love the place and after all the bad service, high prices at Russells and WSS, BP is a pleasant welcome to Alberta.
The staff are friendly (some are very eye appealing too!) and helpfull. They go out of their way to make sure your visit was a good one. I bought a new rod and reel in there and they put the twine on my reel with that new machine they have behind the fishing counter. I was also surprised at how knowledgeable some of the younger staff were.

I've been there on the weekend a couple of times and it was a zoo, so I'm sure BP will do just fine with or without the disappointed folks.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Been in the store a few times since they opened and the inventory is going and not getting re stocked. The manager in the gun department said they were having some problems with import permits.
I didn't think you needed an import permit to put stuff on a truck from their other store in Ontario?

Likely, their Canadian strategy will be to cash in on the knick-knacks and cheap Chinese toys that are flying off the shelves, while only wading ankle deep into actual hunting & shooting stuff. I can see Calgary being a huge market for some of the junk they sell, but really if you want quality gear you need to look elsewhere.

I could have saved you guys gas money if you'd listened to me months ago, that the place sucked.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
I didn't think you needed an import permit to put stuff on a truck from their other store in Ontario?

From what I understand the store in Ontario dosen't have anymore in it than the one here.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:

If a store (hunting & fishing) dosen't have reloading stuff and guns, then it won't have me in it. How is that for profit margin! I would just as soon leave my money in Alberta anyway. I've had good luck at WSS and other stores.
BPS is just a three dressed up as a nine, wasting my TIME!

Last edited by ovis40; 05-25-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed to find that they could not order the gun I want to buy. Unfortunately, I am stuck waiting for their permits to go through as I have a $600 gift card to the store.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM

I have been in a couple BPS stores in the States and the reloading supplies were sparse to say the best. Don't hold your breath for a big selection when it comes to reloading.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
X2 on the stuff not coming from BPS in Vaughn ON. The thing about BPS, unlike Cabela's.ca, is that your online purchases come from the US. Cabela's.ca did it right.......not everything is available in Canada.....but at least you have some options. Haven't been to Balzac yet..........maybe the kids will take me there on father's day? Otherwise, I'm in no hurry to get there.