Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Default 260 Style Challenge

This ones for you 260. The challenge is to shoot this target (link)

http://accurateshooter.net/targets/targetaccshooter.pdf

You can shoot it at 100 yrds or meters bench or bipod even free hand if you are able. The challenge is to get 5 shots inside all three of the red squares and 3 shots inside the grey circles. Please post your results and if so inclined a post a photo and description of your rifle.

This challenge will help you develop precision and accuracy.

this is the closest I have ever com but notice i wasnt able to keep it in the boxes. I hope to get out in the next 2 weeks and try with both my 204 and 308
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sako target.jpg (51.5 KB, 279 views)
Old 01-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Those look like pretty small targets ... maybe 1/2" on the outside ... and keeping five 30 cal inside the borders would mean sub .2" groups at 100M ... which is well beyond what I can do with any of my rigs. Frankly, except in BR/score circles, I suspect it would be a challenge to keep one shot inside the borders of all six....be a bit like 6 consecutive thumb tacks.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

Six or five it’s another challenge, now I need a symmetrical printer.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:57 PM

Default Just do it

Hey I say just give it a try and see how you fare. I will try and even if I fail I am going to post my results. Well if they arent just horrible I will post them.

If guys feel like it they can try and put 3 in the red squares and 1 in the gray dot. If you can get that done then try another target with the original parameters.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Going to be a while, athlough the Range here is only 150M from the patio, it is "restricted" to golf balls only. I have a couple of new builds due in the spring, but just skinny barrels which will not be capable of that level of consistency in my hands.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Default I was out on the weekend

I was out on the weekend and well it wasnt pretty. It was about -15c with a 10mph crosswind. Needless to say I failed miserably. I didnt even get an moa group.

I just have been cooped up and wanted to shoot. Ohh well it has to chinook sometime this winter.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Default Tried the challenge today

I tried the challenge today. It was a good day for it. Temp was about -5C with nearly no wind. I learned that I need to work on my skills and or change rifles attempting it. Its tough to shoot a 1/2 diamond 3 times with a .308 I found it even tougher to hit the less than 1/2 inch grey dot. I think a second focal plane scope will help as well, because my crosshairs completely covered the gray dot. I shoot a vortex razor HD II 4.5x27 second focal scope with mil/mil reticle and turrets. I think if I had moa/moa i could have got finer adjustments to center my point of impact right on the square.

Most importantly I need to shoot better. I had a couple of terrible groups because I got frustrated and rushed it a bit. I had a couple I really liked for size they just werent on the square. Proper breathing and consistent trigger pull are critical. Next time I try it I will use my front rest instead of my bipod. That way the rifle will stay put. I was just happy to get out shooting.

PS you might notice several shots up by the grey dot. I would get frustrated trying to hit it so I broke the rules of the challenge and tried extra shots to hit it.

PSS I also tried the easier version of the challenge with 3 shots in the red and 1 on the gray circle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 260 Challenge 1.jpg (56.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 260 Challenge 2.jpg (53.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by markg; 01-14-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 PM

I really think that one (30 cal) shot inside of each of those dots would be a major challenge on any nice winter day.
17 cal...doable. / 22 cal....quite possible / 6mm ... don't hold your breath / 6.5mm .... real tough / 30 cal ... major challenge, even if it is summer
Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Not for a man of your skills

Not that big of a challenge for a man of your skills!