Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Default How to bring back horn from Africa???

Hi guys
I m looking at doing a hunt in Namibia for plains game for a few years, I think now I am a few years away, max 3 I hope.
How does it work to bring back horn and maybe cape? And how much should I think?
Thx
Frank
Old 12-28-2016, 01:18 PM

Depends on how much you shoot and size. lol
Your outfitter should take your trophies to his prefered Taxidermist and he will clean them and get them ready for shipping. Documents will be done and from my experience you will pay anywhere from $2800-$3500 to get your stuff home. Could be more since the last time I went was a handfull of years ago.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 PM

Done this several times and Nube is spot on in his reply. Simply put just call Dale at Talon Distribution in Edmonton and have him handle it for the import side. Your outfitter will likely use the services of Pam Foerster in Windhoek to do the export side of it from Namibia.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM

We just got our stuff back from SA. Your outfitter will take care of everything on their side and call Dale like was mentioned for everything import. As far as cost it all depends what you shoot and whether you get taxidermy work done there or not. You pay duty on whatever your bill was in Africa and Dales service is very affordable.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM

Not sure if I would say his services are cheap. You can actually do it yourself but I would never do it. The chance of you loosing all your trophies and a fine to boot is the reason why. Dale will make sure it is done right and money well spent in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not sure if I would say his services are cheap. You can actually do it yourself but I would never do it. The chance of you loosing all your trophies and a fine to boot is the reason why. Dale will make sure it is done right and money well spent in my opinion.
I agree, I'm not sure his services are cheap. But as I understand, you need to go to the airport one day to file the paperwork, and pick up the crate a separate day.

If you're retired, or have nothing better to do, or have access to sick days or mental health days, it may be more cost effective to do it yourself.

Cost me $450ish. And I didn't have to miss any work.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 AM

Default Importing trophies

Seriously, I cleared my own stuff from Africa and it was one of the easiest (but nerve wracking) things I've done. The crate comes in , you go to the warehouse and get the paperwork, go to customs and show them the papers, they clear it and you take the paperwork back to the warehouse and get your stuff.

If there's cities stuff then it will be a different thing and an agent might npbe a good idea..I don't know.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Seriously, I cleared my own stuff from Africa and it was one of the easiest (but nerve wracking) things I've done. The crate comes in , you go to the warehouse and get the paperwork, go to customs and show them the papers, they clear it and you take the paperwork back to the warehouse and get your stuff.

If there's cities stuff then it will be a different thing and an agent might npbe a good idea..I don't know.
Yup it may be not that bad but how would you have felt if you did it wrong and they sent it back to Africa or confiscated it if you didn't do it right?

I tried to clear some decoys once that I ordered in across the border. Made one small mistake on where they were made and ended up paying a fine after I got my stuff. I never bothered again taking that route. Too many little things that could go wrong in my mind but ya it probably isn't that hard. Depends on your confidence level and if you think you know how to get it all done the right way.
Also with animals coming in there are new rules all the time that are changing. Vet certificates as well and stuff that I may not even know about. Guess everyone is different i guess.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM

Rigel Logistics is also a good aid to importing your trophies. Modest fee. Trophies delivered to my door.