Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Default Quebec Caribou

I don't know how many of you folks from Alberta were thinking about a caribou hunt in Quebec, but I just read that starting in 2018 all caribou hunting by non-residents will be closed down indefinitely. Outfitters there will be out of business. Jack Hume Adventures has been in business for 35 years. That's a tough one to take for Outfitters as well as hunters who had hoped to hunt the Quebec/Labrador Caribou. Sounds like politics at its finest.....
Old 12-28-2016, 08:58 AM

I read that a little while ago , sad state of affairs for sure
Cat
Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 AM

I assume they are experiencing a down turn of their caribou herd as the rest of Canada. I guess the wolves have finally found their caribou. I see the out of province were first hunters to be hit and the local guides but locals can still shoot away.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 AM

Funny how that works! Here in Alberta when our antelope were decimated by a series of terrible winters, non-resident tag numbers weren't affected, while resident tags were cut dramatically (still are).
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 AM

I read that the First Nation Communities over there will have stricts rules to follow now about caribou hunting. Let me dought about it !!!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck du Nord View Post
I read that the First Nation Communities over there will have stricts rules to follow now about caribou hunting. Let me dought about it !!!
Interesting read. Sad when demand exceeds supply and we are powerless to fight it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1379407/

Grizz
Old 12-28-2016, 11:17 AM

The issue appears to be political (imagine that). I've been reading a few different views on it and evidently there is a large discrepancy between what Quebec's Fish and Game dept. state the size of the herd's at and what the outfitters and others say. I've read estimates between 200,000 and 400,000 for the Leaf River herd. Outfitters take less than 1,000 critters from this herd, so their impact on the herd is pretty much a non-issue.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:44 PM

Default Spec

Yeah most of this tread is true, but also apply to every resident in Quebec ,since I am from Quebec and my dad came hunting last season, my uncle that use to go up for caribou every year wants to come for elk in Alberta instead...
I would be happy to host him.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:23 PM

It is easy to see what the problems most likely are.
There is not much for oil and gas and logging to blame the decline on.
Considering the anual outfitter harvest is about 1000 and the last year will be 700 tags it is not an issue especially as these are bulls....
Food source I can not see them starving as they travel and migrate for that....
Wolves and Bears I see as a big factor and I would bet money Native harvest is the next big one.
Other than that I can not think of anything else that would knock a herd down in size like this other than disease and so far there has been nothing found for disease in the herds.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:41 PM

I just booked a hunt with Jack Hume Adventures (through SOA) and I'm being told that loss of habitat/food source from overpopulation of Caribou and snow geese for quite a few years has been a big reason for their steady decline.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It is easy to see what the problems most likely are.
There is not much for oil and gas and logging to blame the decline on.
Considering the anual outfitter harvest is about 1000 and the last year will be 700 tags it is not an issue especially as these are bulls....
Food source I can not see them starving as they travel and migrate for that....
Wolves and Bears I see as a big factor and I would bet money Native harvest is the next big one.
Other than that I can not think of anything else that would knock a herd down in size like this other than disease and so far there has been nothing found for disease in the herds.
At least they were lucky enough to rid themselves of outfitters.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
At least they were lucky enough to rid themselves of outfitters.
Why would you think that?
The loss of Caribou hunting is a huge loss of money coming into the province.
Lots of camps sitting there getting ripped up by bears.
most outfitters didn't even keep the doors open for fly in fishing.
And i can't see having a 1000 bulls shot every year doing any damage at all for trophy quality or making things tougher for resident hunters....
Things are a little different here at home though and we need to start knocking some heads around to straighten things out...
Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 AM

I expect they're simply following an allocation priority that puts the non-resident allocation lowest. If that's the case, I have no problem with the decision, regardless of the number of tags, as it's transparent and honest. I would be happy if Alberta followed suit and eliminated non-resident allocations for species that are managed by a draw, for which resident demand is high enough to achieve harvest targets in any year, which means pretty much everything other than whitetails, bull elk and trophy sheep (which is another issue altogether). I also respect what Saskatchewan does by not allowing non-resident hunting in the southern portion of the province and for some species.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Banned

On the topic, I'm not sure I agree with the action.

On outfitting, I strongly disagree with Saskatchewans stance. I think agreements should be reciprocal. If they won't share the resource with Albertans I dont think Alberta should be open to them. They allow wt's and bears...I say thats all they should get. BC is welcoming...I say offer them the same. Any jurisdiction willing to share would get a similar offer here if I were king. Any place not willing to share...well, me neither then.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
On the topic, I'm not sure I agree with the action.

On outfitting, I strongly disagree with Saskatchewans stance. I think agreements should be reciprocal. If they won't share the resource with Albertans I dont think Alberta should be open to them. They allow wt's and bears...I say thats all they should get. BC is welcoming...I say offer them the same. Any jurisdiction willing to share would get a similar offer here if I were king. Any place not willing to share...well, me neither then.
I agree! I wish I could trade my bighorn tag for a stone if it wee possible instead of paying 45 K to kill one.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:14 PM

I'm not clear on whether it's a good decision to curb caribou hunting there, but if the harvest needs to be reduced, I absolutely agree with cutting out non-resident first. That should be the norm. Not hating on outfitters, just a matter of priorities IMHO.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I'm not clear on whether it's a good decision to curb caribou hunting there, but if the harvest needs to be reduced, I absolutely agree with cutting out non-resident first. That should be the norm. Not hating on outfitters, just a matter of priorities IMHO.
You could take a percentage of the money made and start some form of predator control that would do way more than just stopping NR hunting. Look at the long term that will actually do something not just stopping 1000 animals from getting shot which won't change a thing......
Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Read

Some of u guys don't read all post... hunt is close for resident of Quebec 2018 season
Old 12-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Look up the reasons behind the near collapse of the George River Herd.
There is a lot of information in this regard out there.
The situation with the herds in question in this matter are identical.
Very little room to wonder just what the causes for the declines are...

Just Sayin'...
Nog
Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Ok I have read all available information.

No one is willing to take a stance and push the issue?

What I suspect is industrial development as in power generation?

Most of the development that has occurred was electrical power development?

I am not green or a frog, but I suspect part of the issue is growth.

I will always support fire.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You could take a percentage of the money made and start some form of predator control that would do way more than just stopping NR hunting. Look at the long term that will actually do something not just stopping 1000 animals from getting shot which won't change a thing......
Sure. Maybe so. There are many ways to approach a thing. Sad that caribou herds seem to be dwindling and that opportunity is suffering. I ain't getting a shot at them here anytime soon, that's for sure.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 AM

could it be that the systematic flooding of northern Quebec in the quest for "environment friendly" hydro is finally starting to reveal the long term consequences?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
could it be that the systematic flooding of northern Quebec in the quest for "environment friendly" hydro is finally starting to reveal the long term consequences?
I doubt if it will be admitted if it actually is proved
Cat
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Look up the reasons behind the near collapse of the George River Herd.

There is a lot of information in this regard out there.

The situation with the herds in question in this matter are identical.

Very little room to wonder just what the causes for the declines are...

Just Sayin'...

Nog

Finally a post I agree with. It has nothing to do with politics!! They want to make sure that this here doesn't follow the George River herd which has lost 98% of its population. They are down from over 800,000 to less than 14,000 in less than 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Ok I have read all available information.

No one is willing to take a stance and push the issue?

What I suspect is industrial development as in power generation?

Most of the development that has occurred was electrical power development?

I am not green or a frog, but I suspect part of the issue is growth.

I will always support fire.

Ya, dam creation has contributed to some calving area loss of habitat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk