Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Default Shotgun Deer Hunting with Hevi-Shot HOG WILD

Hi there!

These past few years, some of my favourite projects has been to make video logs of some of my shotgun deer hunts. This year I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to make another, so here it is, flaws and all:

https://youtu.be/fUU6NhqtgXU

Hope you enjoy it....I can't wait until next year when I get to take my oldest daughter out for her first deer hunt. If I'm lucky she'll consent to me bringing the camera along and instead of me hogging all the glory (and inevitable criticism), maybe you all will get a glimpse of a young lady's first big game hunt.

Until then we'll set to practicing with both her shotgun as well as her new rifle....can't wait!

Cheers, and thanks for watching,

Brobee
Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 PM

Interesting video, well done.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Well done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:10 PM

Well done great to watch
Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Great video!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Excellent video that I truly believe puts true hunters in an excellent light in the view of those that have no experience in our tradition. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up

Hello Brobee,

Glad to see another video from yourself! I have stopped in from time to time to enjoy your youtube videos and enjoy your daughter's Squirrel episodes. Best of luck to your daughter and self for the upcoming season!

As far as this particular video and the Hevi-Shot Hog Wild 2-ball load goes - I liked the video a whole lot more than the product itself when I tried it. My favorite Shotgun did not care for the stuff in the least, so I did not obtain any more or test further and certainly did not use it for Hunting this year. I was very unimpressed and got weird results. In fact, my experience was so different from yours that if I did not know well that Shotguns are all unique individuals and that, as such, anything is possible I would've been shocked at how bad it was for me.
I did get a great and awesome, big bodied Whitetail Doe with the Fiocchi nickel plated, nine pellet 00 2 3/4" 12G load at right around the same range as you got your first Deer in the video.
Your surprise meat loaf recipe was an excellent addition to the episode. Furthermore, I'd like to comment on your questions and ideas on the camera being out with you with my own experiences concerning technology afield - I don't do it. No phones cameras or any type of electronics whatsoever accompany me into the field. Nor do I use trail cams, et al. This is why I do not have image stuff posted online anywhere. I feel these things are in fact a major distraction and are far too prevalent these days. I love the get away from any and all electronics type tech from time to time. Very healthy!

All this said I do appreciate your taking the time to create such fine content. As well as for making us here aware of it.

Thank You
Old 12-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Banned

Great video! I appreciate your composure and honesty...
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Excellent video that I truly believe puts true hunters in an excellent light in the view of those that have no experience in our tradition. Thank you.
Exactly. Good hunting ethics on this video.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
X3, very well made.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 AM

I've always been fascinated by shotgun hunting for deer...just never done it, thanks for sharing. Cool video!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 PM

Great video. What do you normally use for a load in your shotgun in the past? I just have an old mossberg pump and have used Brenneke Rottweil slugs in it.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Thanks for video
Old 12-27-2016, 02:40 PM

Great Video
Old 12-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Nicely done, very ethical, full respect for the animals taken.
Hats off to you!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 PM

That video was very well done. Watched it with my son and he thought it was great too. Look forward to more
Old 12-27-2016, 10:51 PM

Nothing like pulling the trigger with a shotgun on a deer. Good video.
I was out this year as well with mine but no luck. I finally found an accurate load with my Lee drive key slugs but no luck…well with the 870 anyway.
Thanks again for sharing such an informative and detailed video of your success!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Good job. I'd say you are a better host than 90% of those on wild TV. I'd watch again.

That said, not sure about your choice of a 50 yard limit for range when the two balls are opening up to a 10 inch pattern at 45 yards. That seems pretty wide. Did you find that at least one ball went pretty much where you were aiming and the other scattered, or were they both scattered around the point of aim randomly? How did this compare to your past experience with slugs? Pease don't take my questions as condemnations, but merely questions. I've never used a shotgun to hunt deer but have thought about as it could extend my season a bit around here. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Great video. What do you normally use for a load in your shotgun in the past? I just have an old mossberg pump and have used Brenneke Rottweil slugs in it.
For deer hunting I've hunted tonnes with plain old foster slugs (I like the reduced recoil ones by remington), but my favourite has to be the Brenneke Royale.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good job. I'd say you are a better host than 90% of those on wild TV. I'd watch again.

That said, not sure about your choice of a 50 yard limit for range when the two balls are opening up to a 10 inch pattern at 45 yards. That seems pretty wide. Did you find that at least one ball went pretty much where you were aiming and the other scattered, or were they both scattered around the point of aim randomly? How did this compare to your past experience with slugs? Pease don't take my questions as condemnations, but merely questions. I've never used a shotgun to hunt deer but have thought about as it could extend my season a bit around here. Thanks.
When I was practicing this summer, I had a bunch of 11 inch paper plates I used for target practice. Through the modified choke of one of my mossberg 500s, my results were something like this:

40 yards and closer - 100% probability of both balls hitting the plate

45 yards - 60% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

50 yards - 30% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

55 yards - 10% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 50% probability of one ball hitting the plate

60 yards - 10% probability of 1 ball hitting the plate

Worth noting is that I did my patterning tests with more than one gun and a bunch of different choke configurations - there was a big difference between guns. The best patterned as described above, but some were much worse.

I've hunted quite a bit with foster slugs in the past - my experience with them is that with a bead-sighted shotgun I can reliably hit my 11 inch dinner plate out to about 80 yards. So why would I purposely set out with a round I know to be inferior? That's a good question, and I don't really have an answer other than "they're different" and I take pleasure in experimenting/hunting with something different to see what it's all about.

Cheers,

Brobee
Old 12-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Enjoyed the video Brobee.

Are you in a shotgun only area? Is it shot only?

I don't really understand the fascination / interest in buckshot loads. All I ever really see is a mess and lost meat. I had a buddy who hunted a "shot only" area a lot when we were young, and every deer was a mess - dead, yes, but just a mess of lost meat and gut shot animals. I hunted the same zone, but used archery equipment as I dislike cleaning stomach matter out of a carcass whenever possible. But that's just me.

The only practical application I can see for buckshot is running deer in thick brush being pushed, or run with hounds. Otherwise I would take slugs over shot 7 days a week.

Very good evaluation of performance though, and thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobee View Post
When I was practicing this summer, I had a bunch of 11 inch paper plates I used for target practice. Through the modified choke of one of my mossberg 500s, my results were something like this:

40 yards and closer - 100% probability of both balls hitting the plate

45 yards - 60% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

50 yards - 30% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

55 yards - 10% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 50% probability of one ball hitting the plate

60 yards - 10% probability of 1 ball hitting the plate

Worth noting is that I did my patterning tests with more than one gun and a bunch of different choke configurations - there was a big difference between guns. The best patterned as described above, but some were much worse.

I've hunted quite a bit with foster slugs in the past - my experience with them is that with a bead-sighted shotgun I can reliably hit my 11 inch dinner plate out to about 80 yards. So why would I purposely set out with a round I know to be inferior? That's a good question, and I don't really have an answer other than "they're different" and I take pleasure in experimenting/hunting with something different to see what it's all about.

Cheers,

Brobee
Thanks!