Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Default Mule Deer question?

So last year was my first year really chasing Mulies with my bow. Im originally from BC and we really paid no attention to hunting mule deer, we mostly stuck to hunting moose. So that being said I haven't really aquired a great deal of knowledge on their movements and habits aside from what I learned this past hunting season of coarse. I had a chance encounter with an absolute monster last year while driving to a new area that I'd never hunted before. He stepped out in front of us on the highway last year and we had to slam on the brakes to not cream him. He stayed in the headlights for quite awhile (it was 5:30 am) before slowly trotting off over a small hill. All we could do was watch in awe of this majestic beast as he walked out of our life as we had no permission to per sue him on the land he was on. I also wasn't able to go back and search for him as it was about 2 hours from my home and time was in short with a toddler and a pregnant wife at home. This was in bow season mid October, my question or questions are. If by chance this deer that has been haunting my dreams for the past few months made it through rifle season what are the chances of him still being in the area? Do Mulies move much throughout the year or do they stick to their home turf ? (aside from maybe roaming a bit more in the rut of coarse.) What kind of home range are we looking at with mule deer? Sorry if these questions seem dumb but I was always taught a dumb question doesn't exist when trying to gain knowledge. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow outdoorsman!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 AM

I've been watching the same herd with a monster buck for years on posted land. IMHO, if they don't have a reason to leave, they won't. Change of food source, water, land use, hunting pressure could cause them to move, but I'm not sure how far and for how long. Always best to start where you saw him...scout scout and more scout.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 AM

Here's some perspective. In 2014 I shot a mule deer by buffalo alberta that had been tagged four years prior as a yearling just outside swift current sask by the university of sask.

My guess though, your deer will be within a couple km of where you saw him this year.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM

Most of the mule deer wear I live seem to stick around.They do travel a bit but pretty much return to certain area's.
I watched a few bucks for 3 years in pretty much the same area.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 PM

I have watched the same big mulee for 4 years on the land I bowhunt on. 5 stalks on him in this time but he slipped me again this year.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Here's some perspective. In 2014 I shot a mule deer by buffalo alberta that had been tagged four years prior as a yearling just outside swift current sask by the university of sask.

My guess though, your deer will be within a couple km of where you saw him this year.
This is really interesting, I never would have guessed it would travel that distance. From what I understand young Bucks will leave their home range in looking for new turf and mates but that seems excessive.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Default Mule Deer question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
This is really interesting, I never would have guessed it would travel that distance. From what I understand young Bucks will leave their home range in looking for new turf and mates but that seems excessive.

This is an article about that mulie, it was written before he was shot.

http://blog.healthywildlife.ca/track...s/#prettyPhoto

Here are some pics taken by a member on this forum in 2012 by buffalo

And here's a picture of him in 2014 against my personal rule about not posting pictures.

The U of S was fairly interested in him. I had a few conversations with the woman responsible for tracking him. He also tested negative for CWD when I sent the head in.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Amazing story there surrounding your deer Coil oil, huge congrats. Deal of a lifetime!
This in its entirety is precisely why SRD bio's SHOULD TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF, AND LISTEN TO COMMON SENCE. There should be mandatory testing inland Ab, ie, WEST, NORTH etc etc etc. Seeing how everywhere weve LOOKED for Cwd, weve FOUND IT,,,, wouldnt one think a peek further west would be warranted? If found out there, maybe we could stop persecuting these eastern zones in the ridiculous belief that we are going to rid Ab of this and those vermin eastern Ab muledeer,,, but naw, wouldnt want to do seemingly the only thing that makes any sence at all hey.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 PM

I got the call....my archery mule deer buck from this year needs more testing, but likely has CWD.

3 deer from the same area in 6 years we have killed if this one has it.

LC
Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I got the call....my archery mule deer buck from this year needs more testing, but likely has CWD.

3 deer from the same area in 6 years we have killed if this one has it.

LC
Jeesh, that's a pretty high incidence. Bummer.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Glad to hear someone followed up with you after. When I took the pics on the hoof I asked a lot of questions and wanted to be kept in the loop on this case just for my own knowledge. But never heard a thing back about what their final hypothesis was about this case. Did they tell you what they learnt from this? I don't think the government wants us commoners getting much info for our own opinions.

Thank goodness for the internet so we get a little info at least.

Quote:
This is an article about that mulie, it was written before he was shot.

http://blog.healthywildlife.ca/track...s/#prettyPhoto

Here are some pics taken by a member on this forum in 2012 by buffalo

And here's a picture of him in 2014 against my personal rule about not posting pictures.

The U of S was fairly interested in him. I had a few conversations with the woman responsible for tracking him. He also tested negative for CWD when I sent the head in.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
Glad to hear someone followed up with you after. When I took the pics on the hoof I asked a lot of questions and wanted to be kept in the loop on this case just for my own knowledge. But never heard a thing back about what their final hypothesis was about this case. Did they tell you what they learnt from this? I don't think the government wants us commoners getting much info for our own opinions.

Thank goodness for the internet so we get a little info at least.

I never heard anything back when it was all said and done. I spoke with a woman named crystal at the university a few times but all she really wanted to know was where he was, how he looked, physical condition etc. They wanted the head and considered having me send it on the bus but in the end she put me in touch with another woman (Margo I think) in Edmonton who lined up me dropping the head off in red deer here at the fish and game and getting it to Edmonton then on to the university.
A few months later all I got was an email telling me it tested negative for cwd, I probably could of called back and got some information but I don't know what they really learned from this besides that he was one heck of a traveler.
Initially crystal told me they tagged him around antelope landing which is about 230km from where I shot him in a straight line. He likely followed the river so it was a bit further then that. He also did his traveling sometime between 2010 and 2012 so when he was between a yearling or three year old deer. I also suspect the buck in the picture you took with him was likely the buck that was with him when I shot him. There's no proof to hold that up but he was having a snooze with a buck that was likely a year younger with him when I found him.
I never properly caped him and sent the cape with the head which I regret now. When I first saw the tags and messed up ears I was a bit upset so thought I would just wait until I found another cape to mount him. Now that I have history on the deer it would of made a cool mount and interesting conversation piece with the tags on his ears.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Sorry for the side track on the original question. My opinion is it depends on a lot of things. Once mature I think if left unpressured Mule deer don't travel a lot. But they do have a summer area, secluded, natural vegitation, water etc where they don't move from much in summer. Bucks only. Then they have a solid winter area where there is man made feed, alfalfa, stubble, bales, shelter etc. Spring and fall are transition times. This really varies depending on weather, pressure etc.

My guess is the deer you speak of(if alive) is within a 10km radious of where you saw him.

Good luck and post pictures if you get him.

Quote:
I never heard anything back when it was all said and done. I spoke with a woman named crystal at the university a few times but all she really wanted to know was where he was, how he looked, physical condition etc. They wanted the head and considered having me send it on the bus but in the end she put me in touch with another woman (Margo I think) in Edmonton who lined up me dropping the head off in red deer here at the fish and game and getting it to Edmonton then on to the university.
A few months later all I got was an email telling me it tested negative for cwd, I probably could of called back and got some information but I don't know what they really learned from this besides that he was one heck of a traveler.
Initially crystal told me they tagged him around antelope landing which is about 230km from where I shot him in a straight line. He likely followed the river so it was a bit further then that. He also did his traveling sometime between 2010 and 2012 so when he was between a yearling or three year old deer. I also suspect the buck in the picture you took with him was likely the buck that was with him when I shot him. There's no proof to hold that up but he was having a snooze with a buck that was likely a year younger with him when I found him.
I never properly caped him and sent the cape with the head which I regret now. When I first saw the tags and messed up ears I was a bit upset so thought I would just wait until I found another cape to mount him. Now that I have history on the deer it would of made a cool mount and interesting conversation piece with the tags on his ears.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Mule deer travelling

It seems Mulies have really changed their behaviour or there's different behaviour for different groups/areas. I remember reading about the big migrations that they used to do before all of the building and settling that we've done.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Bump. Just because its really neat and interesting.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 AM

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate hearing your opinions. Thanks for the perspective Coiloil 37 that's pretty astounding to think he traveled that distance.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:59 AM

To the OP. When you saw him was it during the rut?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 AM

No, there was no sighn of rut activities. This was mid October, he was traveling with 2 other bucks that split off when we almost hit him on the road.