Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 PM

Default Bino purchase under $1000

So i owned a set of Swarovski binos but sold em last year, long story. Anyways im now in the market for a new set of binos and wont be able to afford Swarovskis this year as i have a bunch of purchases i have to make, which isn't a problem as ill be primarily bowhunting from a tree stand and maybe chasing moose in the bowzone. I will be able to afford a set of binos under 1000 definitely. Basically im thinking i buy a set of 8 x 42 this year for the treestand then buy a higher end set of 10 x 42 for hunting mountains and what not. So if you guys were gonna recommend some models for a guy to go take a look through what would they be?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 09:56 PM

I'd check out the Zen Ray HD . Have not looked through them personally but know a number of people who have , and are reliable, who speak very highly.

Or the Meopta HD, although they might be over the 1,000 mark with exchange

Good luck, some good glass out there reasonably priced
Old 12-16-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Binos

I've a pair of Vortex Viper HD's and am very happy with them. I compared them to several much more expensive brands when I was looking and for my eyes I couldn't justify the extra money. That was 4 years ago and so far I haven't had any regrets.

Try the WildBird General Store on 99th St In Edmonton. They are now under new management but the previous owners were excellent to deal with and allowed me to try everything they had outside where I could really compare them.

Good Luck
Phil
Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 PM

I used Meopta before saving my pennies for some Leicas. They were good value for money

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 05:16 AM

if you can find these there's Carl Zeiss 8 by 42 had them for over 20 years under a thousand bucks best glass you'll ever find

Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Default binos

Meopta.
Extremely under rated for the quality they pack! Some of the best European quality for the dollar. I have looked through a few pair, and own two or three scopes already. Check out their ratings in recent issues of both Field and Stream, and Outdoor life.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 AM

Nikon Monarch 7, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Meopta.
Extremely under rated for the quality they pack! Some of the best European quality for the dollar. I have looked through a few pair, and own two or three scopes already. Check out their ratings in recent issues of both Field and Stream, and Outdoor life.
X2 very good quality for the money
Old 12-17-2016, 08:16 AM

Costco has Bushnell's for 29.99. You could get a roast chicken while you are there and you would still have $960 left to spend.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 AM

A few years back I ordered a pair of Swarovskis, a pair of Steiners, and a pair of Leupold Gold Ring HD bincocs from Cabelas and did a comparison. I tried them at different times of the day so I could see how they performed in low light, mid day, etc. There was no difference to my eye between all three. All were very, very crisp and clear even when it was nearly dark. I bought the Leopolds and send the others back to Cabelas. I think they were about $700 if I remember right. Still have them and I love them. Doing a comparison is a very inexpensive way to ensure you are getting what you want. The only cost is the return shipping.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM

I have been shopping in the same price range and have yet to find anything better than the Bushnell Ultra Legend HD. I have brought home and returned nearly every pair in Red Deer. Even the elitists on the bird watching forums rate them very well. The Bushnell Elites get rave reviews as well but the Legends have pretty much the same glass. The Elites were on special at WWS for a really good price but they may be gone.

Take a look through some of the Monarch 5s. They are on special at several places as the newer 7s are taking over. They weren't a match for my eyes but lots of folks like them. I am also looking for a mid size (28-36mm) not an 8x42

Pentax has recently introduced new models as well. The discontinued models can be had at a good discount and IMO are better than the new stuff. The older ones are made in Japan and have obvious quality over the new Chinese models. The DCF SPs are very sharp but you don't get the ED glass that is all the rave now.

They don't have them here, but the Celestron Granite ED get good reviews at a good price. They are available in Edmonton.

It has been my experience that each individual sees differently and picks up flaws in binoculars that someone else isn't bothered by. I am a bit color deficient and the ED glass doesn't jump out at me like others talk about. Stray light or veiling flare drives me crazy. How they handle will depend on hand size and personal preference as well. I don't mind a little weight as they hold steady but don't want a bigger size as I want to carry them in a pocket rather than around my neck or harness. Eye relief is a personal thing too, especially if you wear glasses.

You should try before you buy and it is hard to do in store. Most places have a return policy so its no big deal. I had one pair for a few days and was convinced they were the ones until the sun came out. In low light they were awesome, in bright light the eye strain was unbearable. I was even getting a bit dizzy when panning around bush with them.

There is lots of good info on the bird watching forums.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
A few years back I ordered a pair of Swarovskis, a pair of Steiners, and a pair of Leupold Gold Ring HD bincocs from Cabelas and did a comparison. I tried them at different times of the day so I could see how they performed in low light, mid day, etc. There was no difference to my eye between all three. All were very, very crisp and clear even when it was nearly dark. I bought the Leopolds and send the others back to Cabelas. I think they were about $700 if I remember right. Still have them and I love them. Doing a comparison is a very inexpensive way to ensure you are getting what you want. The only cost is the return shipping.
And having the money up front...

Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Thanks though guys. I sidnt even think of trying em out firat and returning if i didnt lije

Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Bono purchaseunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Costco has Bushnell's for 29.99. You could get a roast chicken while you are there and you would still have $960 left to spend.
Read this while eating my cereal this morning, and milk shot out my nose! Good one.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
And having the money up front...

No money needed up front if you use a credit card.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:20 AM

X2 on the vortex viper HD. I've been using mine for a few years and can scout well past legal shooting light.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

I went from Bushnell's to the Ziess Terra HD's. Between $700 and $800 last I looked I think. It was a huge upgrade for the lower midgrade Bushnell's that I was using.
Light, compact, I have the 10x42's.
If you're going to buy two pairs, why not just a light pair of 10x's and save some money? Most of the 10's now are as light as the 8's from maybe 10 years ago. Save some money from buying two and put that money into getting better quality kit on the next thing you buy.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have been shopping in the same price range and have yet to find anything better than the Bushnell Ultra Legend HD. I have brought home and returned nearly every pair in Red Deer. Even the elitists on the bird watching forums rate them very well. The Bushnell Elites get rave reviews as well but the Legends have pretty much the same glass. The Elites were on special at WWS for a really good price but they may be gone.

Take a look through some of the Monarch 5s. They are on special at several places as the newer 7s are taking over. They weren't a match for my eyes but lots of folks like them. I am also looking for a mid size (28-36mm) not an 8x42

Pentax has recently introduced new models as well. The discontinued models can be had at a good discount and IMO are better than the new stuff. The older ones are made in Japan and have obvious quality over the new Chinese models. The DCF SPs are very sharp but you don't get the ED glass that is all the rave now.

They don't have them here, but the Celestron Granite ED get good reviews at a good price. They are available in Edmonton.

It has been my experience that each individual sees differently and picks up flaws in binoculars that someone else isn't bothered by. I am a bit color deficient and the ED glass doesn't jump out at me like others talk about. Stray light or veiling flare drives me crazy. How they handle will depend on hand size and personal preference as well. I don't mind a little weight as they hold steady but don't want a bigger size as I want to carry them in a pocket rather than around my neck or harness. Eye relief is a personal thing too, especially if you wear glasses.

You should try before you buy and it is hard to do in store. Most places have a return policy so its no big deal. I had one pair for a few days and was convinced they were the ones until the sun came out. In low light they were awesome, in bright light the eye strain was unbearable. I was even getting a bit dizzy when panning around bush with them.

There is lots of good info on the bird watching forums.
Really good advice. What Bino suits one guy perfectly won't always be as good for someone else.

I just went through this same exercise looking for mid priced Binos for a gift. After field testing a bunch side by side I settled on the Monarch 5s 10x42, on sale at London Drug $329. I compared the 7 and 5 side by side and except for a slightly larger field of view could see no difference. Both of my hunting partners are using Vortex Vipers they bought a couple of years ago and they like the Monarchs better too.

All the way up to $1200 I could not find glass that suited my eyes better. My Liecas out perform them but they were over $2000.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM

I really like my steiner predators.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
I really like my steiner predators.
Same here. I was really impressed. I bought a pair of zeiss conquest 10x42. I then found a pair of steiners 8x42 and personally, I think they are more clear, especially at last light.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:31 PM

X3 on Vortex Viper HD. Solid binos for the price. I've had mine for a couple years and no complaints so far.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
X2 on the vortex viper HD. I've been using mine for a few years and can scout well past legal shooting light.
Another vote for the Viper HD. I tested them against the Razor (I think that's the next model up) and there was very little difference in low light and no nkticeable difference in bright light, not enough for me to justify the price difference.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Leopold !

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 PM

Second vote under 1k is Nikon, vortexs great warranty and used often, most high end binos under that price are not made to the standards of their platform, often farmed out. Not the same quality.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 PM

X5 Viper HD. I love them. From what I've read and heard, vortex items aren't returned as much as other companies but because vortex sells in such higher numbers, you're more prone to see them come back. Nonetheless, I have had zero issues with any vortex items I own and having that worry free warranty is awesome. As long as I never lose them, I will always have a great pair of binos.

Last edited by Bganz; 12-17-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

Have a look at these https://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Op...ca-Trinovid-HD

A new line brought out by Leica. Same materials as used in their hi-end binos (same league as your Swarovki's) but assembled in the U.S. by Leupold.
Seems we pay a heck of lot for German labor.
Anyway, a pair of 8x42 will come in at about $1200, a bit over your budget but as good as your old Swarovski's.
I got to demo a pair from the Leica rep...sweet.
Let me know...we carry them (McBain Camera in Edmonton) and we have very good pricing.
If interested, call me a the main branch (780)420-0404 and ask for Bob in Industrial.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Have a look at these https://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Op...ca-Trinovid-HD

A new line brought out by Leica. Same materials as used in their hi-end binos (same league as your Swarovki's) but assembled in the U.S. by Leupold.
Seems we pay a heck of lot for German labor.
Anyway, a pair of 8x42 will come in at about $1200, a bit over your budget but as good as your old Swarovski's.
I got to demo a pair from the Leica rep...sweet.
Let me know...we carry them (McBain Camera in Edmonton) and we have very good pricing.
If interested, call me a the main branch (780)420-0404 and ask for Bob in Industrial.
That is a hell of a good price on Leicas. How did they compare to the Ultravids? I looked on the McBain website and couldn't see either 8x42 or 10x42 so will call the store. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:23 AM

Buying bino's is a hard choice and I spent a ton of cash on ever top brand till I figured that they were not spotting scopes.Some guys think they can see as far as they want and buy the best .A set of Nikon's or vipers will do the job just as well to pick out things,but past a certain distance buy a good spotter.Then you see the unseen.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Leupold BX3 Mojaves get my vote.

I had a Leupold bino (10x50 Olympics)..after 15+ years of use, I had a eye piece holder crack. I got a new pair of the Mojaves as replacement covered by Leupold Warranty....Great set of new binos.

I think they range around $700-750.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Same here. I was really impressed. I bought a pair of zeiss conquest 10x42. I then found a pair of steiners 8x42 and personally, I think they are more clear, especially at last light.
More light is transmitted to the eye ball with an 8 power bino.,