Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM

Thise rifles look mighty expensive. I didnt see a limit on number of wolves that can be killed in the regs in Alberta. Who has had success and what tactics are being used? Bait pile or calling? I wld love to do my part to teduce the heard but think wolves wld pretty much be the smartest animal to hunt.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 PM

There's no limit on wolves or coyotes,hunt them year round on private land,most of the year on crown.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 PM

Let the bodies hit the floor.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Anyone have any significant success on wolves? I would tthink the ranchers wiuld be appreciative and let you on land to shoot wolves?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
Anyone have any significant success on wolves? I would tthink the ranchers wiuld be appreciative and let you on land to shoot wolves?
The highest wolf numbers are in the big timber. Baiting is a lot of work, and often wolves don't return for 7-14 days.

Locating fresh sign, noting travel direction and corridors and calling works the best in my opinion. If a guy is persistent, howling in a pack can be very successful
Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

I'm afraid you are going to miss Sask for hunting and fishing
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 PM

The best part of hunting is finding new areas and being challenged. Saskatchewan is pretty hard to beat but Alberta is right up there.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
The best part of hunting is finding new areas and being challenged. Saskatchewan is pretty hard to beat but Alberta is right up there.
Alberta smashes saskaboosh..... In a week I can be in the high country glassing bighorns, calling rutting elk out of alpine meadows, archeet hunting rutting 50" bulls in the foothills, smashing honkers off swathed peas, waiting on a Booner whitetail to slip by my stand...

Not to mention epic wolves, big cats, amazing spot and stalk bear hunting.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Alberta smashes saskaboosh..... In a week I can be in the high country glassing bighorns, calling rutting elk out of alpine meadows, archeet hunting rutting 50" bulls in the foothills, smashing honkers off swathed peas, waiting on a Booner whitetail to slip by my stand...

Word !!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post

I was starting to feel seriously depressed reading husky's post, until I saw this one
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
I was starting to feel seriously depressed reading husky's post, until I saw this one
Well, it was not my intent to cause depression, just clarify the old info that people are getting saying that the GP area is a hunting and fishing paradise. Over hunting, hard winters , wolves and access have changed all that. Scout hard , hunt hard, make your own luck and you will be eating deer or elk every year. That said it's no cake walk, I meet hunters in the bush all the time while out at work surveying in the patch. I am out 300 plus days a year( the rest is spent scouting and hunting). They all say the same thing, " where are all the elk , been here a week and haven't seen a GD thing. Heard there was lots of elk and piles of deer wtf !!!!"
My advice to anyone looking for paradise up in the GP area would be to get in good with a land owner that doesn't all ready have ever tom dick and harry hunting their land, and also to take up waterfowling. Scout hard and forgo your other hobbies and hunt each animal at the best time of year. Get skunked , get schooled , get off the couch , get off the computer and hunt , hunt, hunt.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Well, it was not my intent to cause depression, just clarify the old info that people are getting saying that the GP area is a hunting and fishing paradise. Over hunting, hard winters , wolves and access have changed all that. Scout hard , hunt hard, make your own luck and you will be eating deer or elk every year. That said it's no cake walk, I meet hunters in the bush all the time while out at work surveying in the patch. I am out 300 plus days a year( the rest is spent scouting and hunting). They all say the same thing, " where are all the elk , been here a week and haven't seen a GD thing. Heard there was lots of elk and piles of deer wtf !!!!"
My advice to anyone looking for paradise up in the GP area would be to get in good with a land owner that doesn't all ready have ever tom dick and harry hunting their land, and also to take up waterfowling. Scout hard and forgo your other hobbies and hunt each animal at the best time of year. Get skunked , get schooled , get off the couch , get off the computer and hunt , hunt, hunt.
RIGHT ON ,been in the area for 10yrs now spend over 100days a year at my cabin thinking about or scouting ,every year we kill a elk,moose or deer ,but its no Cake walk lots of work good luck.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:09 PM

Is it a one deer zone or can you shoot does too.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Is it a one deer zone or can you shoot does too.
You can shoot 3, 3 does if you want too, its shameful. I go weeks on crown land without seeing a deer , yet they haven't changed the regs forever, even though there is not even a 1/4 of the deer here there used to be. Best to look at the reg link you were given near the beginning of your thread.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM

I did look at it but always like to confirm what i read with local knowledge. I had three tags in sask this year. 1 wt and 2 md draw and shot nothing. I chose not to wish more guys wld harvest responsibly.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Husky 7mm is on the money with his post, except MD is 9-10years for a tag nowdays in the GP zone. But it is 5plus in zones around.

Fishing can be good at certain times in certain spots, kinda like hunting.

Oh yeah we seem to have a nice grizzly population here as well, so get used to seeing the od one of them around.

If ya want to do a bit of reading and entertainment at the same time search saddle hills
Have you looked at the draw stats and done the math? In 2016, over 2100 people applied for 77 mulie buck tags in 357. If you just started putting in for that draw it would take 28 years to be drawn. Some years over 600 people put in, so it will take 7 years to get through that priority level alone.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 PM

Default gp

The crown land south of gp is awesome,if you plan on driving up and down the county roads harassing deer and elk on land that you have no permision to hunt on like most of the rest of the losers from gp do then you'll likely be disappointed.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 PM

I am not a road hunter so I will do scouting auite permission and get boots on the ground. My passion is bird hunting - mallards and geese so I am used to getting permission and know the game.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Mallard as stated earlier GP is the goose/mallard hunting capital of Alberta. Only problem now is we have significant number of Americans coming up and doing their part to share the resource. They do not need a guide to hunt waterfowl in Alberta.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:35 AM

Yes we have same problem in Sask and they pay farmers to lock down permission. We call them freelancers. Some Americans are decent but others have no problem just pretending they have permission and i have even had them try to kick me off land when they did not have permission and i did. The americans do not like late season so i gind after oct 18 ussually they are gone. I hunt right until the last day of season and the late season hunts are always the best. Do the ducks stick aeound until end of season there? Probably have total freeze up by halloween?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 AM

This year with all the grain left in the fields and late fall with good weather, the ducks and geese did not even consider going south. It varies from year to year, if crops harvest early then leave sooner.