Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Default What's a 1962 Browning 270 worth ??

I placed an add to see about trading a 1962 Browning Safari grade 270 that is in phenomenal shape. From what I understand it was purchased 54 years ago had a Redfield Wideview 4x mounted, then was used a time or two and put a way into the back of a closet. I've had many great offers but nothing that I am really interested in. Some guys are however asking for a trade value.......and I don't have a number. Any information would be helpful.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM

Browning safari's are bringing pretty good coin these days but the scope is basically worthless and it's a ho hum caliber, there's also some dings on the stock (so not phenomenal really) from what I can see so it's not exactly a premium rifle, other than that it looks real nice!
It's worth some money to a collector of these rifles even although it's not a hard to find caliber, but to others it's just another used 270 so....
It sounds like you've had some offers and want to see how honest these bidders are...
Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 PM

1200.00 with rings and no scope. Add 125.00 with the Widefield. I am probably high at that.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

$650.00 - $700.00 plus, it's worth what other blued steel/ walnut stocked .270 from the era are.

Perhaps more to a Browning Collector.

The scope is not worthless, it's a period scope for the rifle. I'd list a price with or without the scope.

Leupold 4x from that era are still worth $150.00 to $200.00 depending on condition. A vintage Redfield should command $100.00 to $150.00.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Browning safari's are bringing pretty good coin these days but the scope is basically worthless and it's a ho hum caliber, there's also some dings on the stock (so not phenomenal really) from what I can see so it's not exactly a premium rifle, other than that it looks real nice!
It's worth some money to a collector of these rifles even although it's not a hard to find caliber, but to others it's just another used 270 so....
It sounds like you've had some offers and want to see how honest these bidders are...
Thanks for the info. I have had multiple trade offers but some are asking what I value it at and I don't have a number. So far nobody has offered a number. I would prefer a straight across trade with someone that would like it and has something I would like.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Default 1962 Browning .270

What a beautiful rifle, and showing no wear. I'm betting the barrel is in pristine condition as well.

Sorry, I have no estimate of value for you. I just had to comment. I hope you get absolutely top dollar for it.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270man View Post
What a beautiful rifle, and showing no wear. I'm betting the barrel is in pristine condition as well.

Sorry, I have no estimate of value for you. I just had to comment. I hope you get absolutely top dollar for it.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 PM

Scott,

It's worth more than $700 that's for sure, but the scope isn't worth much. I recently purchased a rifle with a new and un-used Widefield on it for the price of the rifle.
A more collector friendly caliber such as 264 mag would drive the price up some what but.... that's what collecting is all about. It's a great rifle, there's no doubt about it and if you advertise it enough you're eventually going to get a good dollar for it but for a value, it's what collectors are willing to pay!
I hate going out on a limb without seeing the rifle but I'd say realistically it's worth $1000 to $1100 at best.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 PM

Nice rifle.

One thing to be cautious of is some of the Brownings have a salt cured stock. This causes Rusting issues between the stock and the metal .

Not all of them have this and unfortunately I don't remember the exact years they did this .
Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Scott,

It's worth more than $700 that's for sure, but the scope isn't worth much. I recently purchased a rifle with a new and un-used Widefield on it for the price of the rifle.
A more collector friendly caliber such as 264 mag would drive the price up some what but.... that's what collecting is all about. It's a great rifle, there's no doubt about it and if you advertise it enough you're eventually going to get a good dollar for it but for a value, it's what collectors are willing to pay!
I hate going out on a limb without seeing the rifle but I'd say realistically it's worth $1000 to $1100 at best.
I appreciate your opinion
Old 10-14-2016, 06:47 AM

A quick google on gun broker shows around $1000 would be a fair value the Redfield scope was "the" scope to have back then should get $100-150 for it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...++)&ca=5000043
Old 10-14-2016, 07:35 AM

$1200 for the package +/- depending on wear. I've owned them. They are an exceptionally well made rifle. Not to be classed with run of the mill Remingtons or Winchester. 1962 did not have salt wood. My 300 H&H (rechambered to 300 Weatherby) was 1962 as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Nice rifle.

One thing to be cautious of is some of the Brownings have a salt cured stock. This causes Rusting issues between the stock and the metal .

Not all of them have this and unfortunately I don't remember the exact years they did this .
I memory serves me right, those salt stock were produced in the late 60' to mid 70'. Quick way to find out is to pull the barreled action out of the stock for inspection.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:47 AM

The Hi-Powers were made from 1960 to 1974, the ones prior to 1966 did not use salt wood and the ones made from 67 to 70 had a 90% chance of having it, as do most other Brownings in those years. After that it was still a crap shoot but they're unlikely to have it in the last couple of years of production as Browning supposedly burned the remaining salt cured walnut blanks. Some of these salt stocks look really nice but they can be a huge problem, the trouble is that not all salt stocks ooze salt, only the ones that were in the bottom of the pile laying in the salt brine.... but try figuring out which these are.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Just me but

I think some estimates are really high for the condition of this hunting rifle. Browning collectors in the US outnumber Canadian collectors 10-1 so set the prices. A pristine 1960's era Safari could bring $1000 from a serious collector but they would not likely be lining up for a .270
Just sold a scoped Abolt for $750 in similar used but not abused condition so expect that is what this would realistically bring.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I think some estimates are really high for the condition of this hunting rifle. Browning collectors in the US outnumber Canadian collectors 10-1 so set the prices. A pristine 1960's era Safari could bring $1000 from a serious collector but they would not likely be lining up for a .270
Just sold a scoped Abolt for $750 in similar used but not abused condition so expect that is what this would realistically bring.

I agree with your assessment. The older Brownings were well built guns but they weren't know to be great shooters. 1 1/2 to 2' at 100 yards was pretty normal for the 60s era Brownings. The Remingtons of the day were as well built and a hell of a lot more accurate. I sold my Brownings and bought Remington because of the superior accuracy.

In that period the Redfield wide-angle was the scope to have, I had many Redfields and in their day they were superior to Leupolds. They still make great scopes on guns used in bright light, they just don't have as good a twilight performance as new scopes do. It is easily worth 100-150 and would work great on any 22 you wanted to use it for.

The gun is far from pristine and it has very plain wood, most Brownings of the period had much nicer figure. I think you should expect somewhere around $800 for the gun and sell the scope separately for another 100 to 150 bucks and the sling for another 30. Would give you all in pretty close to $1,000.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Default accuracy varies gun to gun

My Safari in .308 Norma Mag is very accurate........Harold
Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
My Safari in .308 Norma Mag is very accurate........Harold

Some were more accurate than others but I only ever had one Browning that I could get to shoot 3 consecutive groups of 3, all on the same target, under an inch at 100 yards. I owned a fair number of Remingtons that would do that, though there were about 50% of those that wouldn't do it either. People today don't realise how lucky we are to have MOA out of the box guns as pretty much the norm. They sure weren't in the early 60s and 70s.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I totally agree with wwbirds' assessment on this one. Yes, it is in very nice condition, but it is not pristine. There are marks on the stock. Collectors are very finicky people, but they don't care about shooting averages, their deal is entirely based upon condition. If a utilitarian guy wanted it to hunt with, he may drop $800 to $900 on it, but don't expect much from a collector. I think that one might start with a $1000.00 asking price and could wait a while, but expect to sell it for the $700.00 price range and maybe a bit more. And yes, one of the thing that hurts it's value is the fact that it's chambered in .270 win.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM

I have a 59 safari and it's in bush shape. Still worth 600.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Default need a wood stock

When I bought my .308 NM it had a busted stock so I ended up putting it in a cheap Butler Creek 98 mauser stock .......I ain't pretty but it shoots. Replacement factory wood stocks are as common as rocking horse poop and priced accordingly........Harold
Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 AM

The one I had in 300 Weatherby shot sub MOA with several different loads. The trigger was amazing and set at 2lbs with 0 creep. The barrel channel was free floated by me. I won't own a rifle with a wood stock that isn't.