Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Default Bow hunting and wifes

Ok am not very good at it been trying for three years from ground. I love the getting out and the chance at getting something . My wife is on my case because I come home with nothing .
The question is who else gets third degree.
Rifle is no problem but bow it's so hard to wait

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 PM

I get the third degree with everything I do.

Mine doesn't like when I go hunting, or basically anywhere without her. I tell her "It's either you or the deer".
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

Mine tells me to shoot everything when I take her lol but she hasn't come out in a while she's my good luck charm wish she would come out more often.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Mine comes with me, i get
"I can't believe you missed that deer!"
"A blind man could've hit that"
"Why did you shoot over its back"

Next time she stays at home until rifle opens.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Mine is overjoyed when I come home empty-handed.

The other day, as I was taking the boys out for a hunt, I'm pretty sure she said to them, "Make sure you make LOTS of noise, so that you scare away the critters!"

Still in love with that girl, though. What can I say?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:37 PM

Yep, it's a hard balance when it's tough hunting. Going through that now. Even harder when you have young ones. Wife doesn't like that I'm out every weekend but I tell her nothing will get killed if I'm not out there. Hope something happens soon cause I might come home to an empty house one day. Hehe
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Yep, it's a hard balance when it's tough hunting. Going through that now. Even harder when you have young ones. Wife doesn't like that I'm out every weekend but I tell her nothing will get killed if I'm not out there. Hope something happens soon cause I might come home to an empty house one day. Hehe
I can't wait until mine are older and I can take them with me. Right now I am limited to day long hunts and they are definitely few and far between.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I can't wait until mine are older and I can take them with me. Right now I am limited to day long hunts and they are definitely few and far between.
I'm limited in that manner as well, especially as hunting season coincides with IncrediGirl's busy/stressful season.

It is getting easier now that all of my kids can come along. We have a ton of fun, and IncrediGirl gets a break from us to boot!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Wife's a successful bowhunter and gives me hell if I have to cancel a hunting trip of ours because of work stuff. Guess I'm pretty lucky.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:53 PM

I've yet to take a deer with my bow. My wife thinks I'm wasting my time. I keep going out every chance I get.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 PM

My wife expects me to get an elk every year since the first time she tasted it... pressure is always on. She also insists I go salmon fishing again soon as we need some fish in the freezer, who am I to argue with that!

LC
Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 PM

I love it when I miss, that means I get to keep hunting. I am a dual season hunter. I find bowhunting a good way to relieve stress. It can also be the root of some stress, but it's totally worth it!! I haven't taken a deer with my bow for over 5 years. Ever since I quit hunting from a tree stand. Level ground eye to eye with the deer, is a total different ball game. I love it! Keep at it and you'll connect! My wife took a long time to come around in terms of hunting. I didn't start hunting until after we met. I stressed the importance of hunting to me for years, and I did not back down! She now does her best to help me get out as much as possible. She has never come with me, but she has accepted my passion! And to me that's good enough!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Banned

My wife has been practicing with her bow but is not confident enough in herself to come out for it. I haven't even gotten out this year for bow. However, we got drawn for whitetail and she really enjoys her rifle. And her rifle is all ready to go. Just have to finish loading up some ammo. Hopefully this year we'll have a couple of deer and maybe an elk in the freezer.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

The other day, as I was taking the boys out for a hunt, I'm pretty sure she said to them, "Make sure you make LOTS of noise, so that you scare away the critters!"

Sounds like we're married to the same kind of woman. She'd be happy if I never shot anything again, lol, but God love her she lets me try a lot. One thing I will give her though is that I can tell she truly is excited when my son comes home with a story of something he bagged like a squirrel or rabbit or something.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
My wife has been practicing with her bow but is not confident enough in herself to come out for it. I haven't even gotten out this year for bow. However, we got drawn for whitetail and she really enjoys her rifle. And her rifle is all ready to go. Just have to finish loading up some ammo. Hopefully this year we'll have a couple of deer and maybe an elk in the freezer.
Stress reliever ?? Then you arent hunting hard enough . LOL . Joking bud , its always great to be out and YES it does relieve stress .
Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 AM

Used to get out fishing or hunting pretty much every weekend and a week long deer or moose camp in November, but of course that all changed with the kids. I'm limited to day hunts now occasionally as they are both quite young, but in a few years I'll be able to start taking the oldest one out! Lucky for me this year I took a WT buck about 90 mins into my first hunt of the season, and I have a prairie MD Doe tag for November which should be easy to fill with my time restrictions this season.

My wife would never shoot something, but she enjoys eating pretty much anything I bring home and is supportive of the hunt too, so I consider myself very lucky.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 AM

Thanks so much for all replys glad am not alone , just enjoy the time we have every minute

Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 AM

I put myself in the same predicament every year come early of September I am going out bow hunting 3 days a week then off to the annual elk hunting trip for 7 days early October now back and shes sick of me going hunting just in time for the rut but i guess thats how she goes
Got another 9 months to redeem myself for next year lol
Old 10-13-2016, 02:54 PM

As a new father (baby born on August 31), this season has been challenging to say the least! Instead of heading out bow hunting, I've found that it's easier to sell a quick, few hour waterfowl/grouse/pheasant hunt with a nearly guaranteed outcome (a bird in hand is worth 2 buck in the bush), than the idea of sitting Ina tree stand and MAYBE getting something. Now that rifle/shotgun season is upon us in Strathcona county and surrounding area, I'll at least be able to pop out a little more often. The struggle continues haha.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Then you must keep going out to prove her wrong which is not a bad thing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:

x2 Of course I always bug her when she comes home from a horse show with just a couple of ribbons.

Grizz
Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromanowski87 View Post
As a new father (baby born on August 31), this season has been challenging to say the least!.
I still get dirty looks from people when they hear that I went out elk hunting for several days within a few weeks of when our first baby arrived...

Of course, many years later, that "baby" is loving the shooting sports, so.... Bad Dad or no?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM

My wife is quite understanding. Had a week in Wyoming this year, 4 bird hunts, bear baiting in the spring (she's not too keen on that anymore-what an effort!) and hopefully an extra long weekend in November or a full week (work depending). 4th bambino on the way. She loves wild game or I think I would be up the creek on all the time I take hunting. My hat is off to her. When I have the kids alone (very rarely) for a weekend, it's mayhem! Always raises my respect level for what she does during the day as a stay at home mom.
Long story even longer: my wife rocks.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Stress reliever ?? Then you arent hunting hard enough . LOL . Joking bud , its always great to be out and YES it does relieve stress .
It's a double edged sword at times. Depends how seriously we take it....
Sometimes (ok most of the time) I have a battle plan and my game face on. However, super stress reliever at the same time. Especially when best laid plans come together
Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Soon after we started dating I told her if you don't like hockey or hunting tell me now. Because we might as well call it quits right now. Been together 11 years, two young boys now. Everybody comes out a couple times a season. Can't wait for when the boys are old enough to start hunting themselves.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM

It's absolutely worth the pain and misery.!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatwork View Post
It's absolutely worth the pain and misery.!
Sorry, just to be clear: Did you mean marriage or bowhunting?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Both I guess am lucky as my wife is vegan which means only vegetables and fruits and nuts. Both my daughter's hunt and eat meat .my wife only complain when I come home empty .

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

I am never going to organize a muffin party or a trip to Treehouse play place with 12 kids. I will never go to a shopping mall and look for sales.

My beautiful wife does that stuff, and I chase horns. She loves baking,snowboarding, soccer. I like racks. Hers and the deer/elk/moose

When I am going hunting three weekends in a row she will say;" Stop being picky and shoot something,this is enough".

My mom was also this way with my Dad, it had to be extreme before she beaked at him. Maybe thats why he took me every time to ease the backlash? Hahahaha.

Any backlash is worth it, if she is going to leave, I say lock the door once she hits porch. Not able to hunt would be a sentence. And I am fortunate my wife is understanding.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Quote of the year SBuff. Too funny!