Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Couldnt agree with you more but just feel you can buy a better quality tool used for the same price
We should have pride in the best we can get for the dollar we have available to us and no man has the right to judge another for spending what he can afford
That may be so. My rifle shoots straight and I like it.

Sure there were other options for me. But I'm all smiles. And I absolutely hope to one day have a beautiful high end rifle. Until then I'm enjoy mine for what it is.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
That may be so. My rifle shoots straight and I like it.

Sure there were other options for me. But I'm all smiles. And I absolutely hope to one day have a beautiful high end rifle. Until then I'm enjoy mine for what it is.
At the end of the day the only person thats opinion matters on the subject is our own im glad you like your rifle and hope it serves you well and puts lots of meat on the table happy hunting and have a great season
Old 10-10-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
At the end of the day the only person thats opinion matters on the subject is our own im glad you like your rifle and hope it serves you well and puts lots of meat on the table happy hunting and have a great season
You as well friend.

Stay safe out there.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 AM

Good cheap go to gun with decent accuracy.

Don't care if it gets dented/beat/depreciates and not the end of the world if it is stolen.

I look at my guns as tools - some are prettier than others but in the end they are all just tools to me.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:12 PM

I love savages. You get a lot of gun for the money. Accurate, dependable, and reasonably priced. I have five Savages and one is an axis in 22-250. I would like to get a better trigger and put a Boyd's Varmint stock on it eventually. Awesome guns.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM

Bought a stainless Axis 223 as a bang around pick up truck coyote hunter, trigger sucks ( we all know that ) not the pertiest thing around, we all know that, and of course the scope went right in the trash so whats left, clip fed stainless and reliable and with the current heavy trigger it still shoots under an inch at 100 with no effort, heck if I was concerned with looks or a "Savage" reputation god whats next " I own all Weatherbys only" pass the " Grey Pupon" you get what you pay for no doubt. but for the difference between an AXIS and the Ruger American in stainless, well you can put a pretty decent scope on the AXIS and still need to upgrade whats on the Ruger.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well sure, they shoot straight. But your pride of ownership might go into the toilet.
If i want to bring a nice gun out i have a browning medallion with a octagon barrel in 300wsm with a VX6 Leupold on it but i dont storm the brush with it
Old 10-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_ View Post
I love savages. You get a lot of gun for the money. Accurate, dependable, and reasonably priced. I have five Savages and one is an axis in 22-250. I would like to get a better trigger and put a Boyd's Varmint stock on it eventually. Awesome guns.
Sure, buy by the time you get the trigger replaced ($100-$175), and get the boyds stock ($175 or so), you could have had a Howa which is IMHO a much better rifle...
Old 10-13-2016, 06:03 PM

Good shooting gun right out of the box, but not for me. For a beginning shooter / hunter why not? Good place to start right there.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Sure, buy by the time you get the trigger replaced ($100-$175), and get the boyds stock ($175 or so), you could have had a Howa which is IMHO a much better rifle...

Ya and for another $200 you could be into a way better gun but you've got to stop somewhere. If someone wanted a first gun and didn't have much room in their budget I would not hesitate to recommend an axis. You don't have to do anything to them they work just fine out of the box. Throw it in the truck, drag it through the bush, ding it up and on and on doesn't matter what you do to it when you pull the trigger it goes boom. I wouldn't spend lots of money on a gun that I put through that.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:02 PM

My 270 was doing 1 moa groups out of the box. The stock is pretty cheap and wont do well with a bipod but for the price it does the job.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 PM

The same negative comments were tossed around about the Remington 788 back when it came out.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:23 PM

I never owned an AXIS but had one Savage in the 90s, a model 110 in 270. Cheap poly stock that flexed like a 70s Kawasaki frame, kicked harder than any magnum I subsequently owned, shot amazingly accurate. But the extractor failed 3 times in 2 hunting seasons. Nothing like using a Jack knife to extract your single shot when elk hunting. Will never ever own a savage again. I realize that it is single data point and could be an exception but NO to savages, not even when my hunting partner offers one for camp backup. I am not being a snob on $, have hunted with an Enfield and a Mosin Nagant but never a Savage again.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 AM

My take... I have owned 6 axis over the years.... including one axis in 7mm-08. I hNdload and even with the trigger spring adjustment and my handloading I couldn't get it to shoot under 2 moa. I traded it for a Ruger Mark iii 22 pistol. I have also owned a Savage trophy hunter in 30-06 which had the accutrigger and shot great. I used that one to build a 35 Whelen off of and it shoot crazy accurate. No lie, with 200 gr FTX and IMR 3031 I shot multiple one hole groups. It also shoots Barnes 225 gr Bullets into .75 inch groups. Another Savage 116 I owned was in 6.5x284.... it didn't shoot better than 2 inches with my handloads and 3 inches with no sleep factory loads so it went down the road. More recently I picked up a Savage trophy hunter package gun in 270wsm and it shoots three factory rounds into one inch. I have not shot any handloads yet but I expect I should have a 1/2 to 3/4 moa gun after I am done tinkering.
In my opinion if you are doing a build, do it off the 110/111/116 or 10/11/16 action. They are always going on sale at one of the major box stores and you can probably re-coup a couple hundred bucks by selling the Weaver scope and the barrel. I did the work on my build myself so the set-up with the go/no go gauges and a barrel view cost a few bucks but they are tools for life.
Will I buy another axis to play with... maybe.... but between the axis and stepping up to the trophy hunter or the accustocked Savages I would always spend the extra cash. My 2 cents. Good luck. Also nice thing about Savages is you can usually buy them cheap and sell them cheap until you get some real shooters right out of the box.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:33 AM

Default .....

I see some of you keep going back to talking about the stock, i would have replaced it anyways even if it was a rem 700 since a the kind of stock that would interest me that comes on a rem im looking at a rifle thats over $1100 and thats probably used, also i got this 243 on a trade deal that put the values in my favor.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningchain1 View Post
If i want to bring a nice gun out i have a browning medallion with a octagon barrel in 300wsm with a VX6 Leupold on it but i dont storm the brush with it
My most expensive rifle is the one that sees the most use be it brush, mountains, or prairie. Just my thoughts but when i put lots of money into a rifle im gonna get my moneys worth and use it.
Nothing wrong with your way of thinking just stating mine.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Default ....

Quote:
My most expensive rifle is the one that sees the most use be it brush, mountains, or prairie. Just my thoughts but when i put lots of money into a rifle im gonna get my moneys worth and use it.
Nothing wrong with your way of thinking just stating mine.
I take it out if im hunting big open areas or in the mountains but i will not take it threw the bush plus the scope on it is to high powered to use for close stuff very well.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
.204, 243, 3006.

I didn't get an accu trigger and have regretted it, but others have said I'm further ahead with the $100 Basix triggers I put on. I have good glass on the .204 and .243. I reload and am very impressed with the performance. The 243 is shooting a 55 gr. pill out to 500 M and doing it sub moa, and that is probably as well as I shoot.

For me it is a coyote gun and a hobby and I can't get comfortable with expensive guns. So for me it is perfect.
Where did you find the axis in 204?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 PM

I had a 11/111 in 30-06. Great gun. The axis stock is a bit off putting, so I dont know if I'd buy one

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk