Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Best Large bore Silhouette Caliber

I am entertaining building one. Currently, I am leaning towards a 6.5x47 Lapua because Lapua makes wonderful brass for it, it is inherently accurate and has a mild recoil. However, I hear that some folks claim that even the 140 grain bullets dont have enough SD to knock the ram target down at 500 yards.

Your input is appreciated.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I am entertaining building one. Currently, I am leaning towards a 6.5x47 Lapua because Lapua makes wonderful brass for it, it is inherently accurate and has a mild recoil. However, I hear that some folks claim that even the 140 grain bullets dont have enough SD to knock the ram target down at 500 yards.

Your input is appreciated.
i think thats the most popular ram bullet now. cathy winstesd severin won 2015 nra championship with 6-6.5 x 47 and 90 and 105 gr bullets with n135 mark pharr was second with 6.5x47 and 108 and 139 gr bullets with n140 powder i dont think severin knocked over all the rams she hit but she won anyway
Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Ive got one. R700 action, Ron Smith 1-8" twist barrel finished at 26".
I only have approx 180 rounds through mine. But it doesnt seem to matter what you put through it, it doesnt shoot bad groups. Yet to see anything over 2.5" even on windy days. The majority of the groups are sub moa.
I am shooting 130gr Berger VLD's right now with 36.8gr of RL15 seated 0.010" off the lands and 2820fps. CCI 450 primers.
Last group I printed with that load was 0.37" at 100yds.
I have no idea if this will knock "The Ram" over on whatever your talking about at 500yds? But I am very confident you will have no issues hitting it.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Are you planning on shooting Hunter class ur unlimited?
Makes a difference in cartridge choice
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-30-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Are you planning on shooting Hunter class ur unlimited?
Makes a difference in cartridge choice
Cat
Cat;

Give me your 0.2 cents for both [;ease.

CH
Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Unlimited class would not be an issue for the 6.5x47 except for the max weight of the rifle
Hunter class however has very explicit rules Regarding the rifle .
It has to be chambered in a production cartridge cartridge of the company- you would not be able to get the Remington custom shop to build a rifle in a cartridge that was not available
" off the rack" so to speak
Also , if the rifle is re- barrelled it has to be in a contour that is/was available in a production rifle .
BTW I believe the weight for Hunter class all in is 9 lbs even and for unlimited it is 20.2 lbs. all in unless they have been changed - it has been s while since I competed
I prefer to the 6.5 bullets as opposed to the 6mm bullets because because the heavier bullets are better got knocking down the Rams and even a bad hit on a turkey can leave them standing with the 6's

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-14-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Unlimited class would not be an issue for the 6.5x47 except for the max weight of the rifle
It has to be chambered in a common production cartridge of the company- you would not be able to get the Remington custom shop to build a rifle in a cartridge that was not available
Also , if the rifle is re- barrelled it has to be in a contour that is/was available in a production rifle .
BTW I believe the weight for Hunter class all in is 9 lbs even and for unlimited it is 20.2 lbs. all in unless they have been changed - it has been s while since I competed
I prefer to the 6.5 bullets as opposed to the 6mm bullets because because the heavier bullets are better got knocking down the Rams and even a bad hit on a turkey can leave them standing with the 6's
Cat
Cat

Thanks Cat.

Aren't you out after Sharpies today

CH

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cat.

Aren't you out after Sharpies today

CH
Nope was in Edmonton today , starting on the upland birds tomorrow!
Cat
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

I've ran a 7mm-08 in large bore silhouette. The 7-08 has gained substantial acceptance for these matches. A 139 or 140 gr bullet has enough mass to knock the rams down at 500.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Will 6 Dasher Knock Rams at 500m?

Quote:
It has to be chambered in a common production cartridge of the company - you would not be able to get the Remington custom shop to build a rifle in a cartridge that was not available
Cat
Cat
Cat;

Will 6 dasher with a 105 grain bullet realistically (on paper it can) knock down rams at 500m?

CH

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-14-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Cat;

Will 6 dasher with a 105 grain bullet realistically (on paper it can) knock down rams at 500m?

CH
No idea, I have no experience with the dasher and have not had a chance to compare any numbers wit it, but if it has slightly less energy at 500 meters than the 243 Winchester you will be leaving rams standing every now and then.
Personally speaking, if I were to do another unlimited gun it would be the 6.5X47 . Enough energy at 500 to reliably knock rams over and not overly bad for recoil.

Cat
Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No idea, I have no experience with the dasher and have not had a chance to compare any numbers wit it, but if it has slightly less energy at 500 meters than the 243 Winchester you will be leaving rams standing every now and then.
Personally speaking, if I were to do another unlimited gun it would be the 6.5X47 . Enough energy at 500 to reliably knock rams over and not overly bad for recoil.

Cat
Thanks Cat.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:05 AM

6 dasher is spotty for rams. If you hit them low sometimes they won't fall. I've had plenty of shots at the rams with a friends 6mm where the report of the metal hitting comes back but No movement on the ram.
I run a 308 Remington 700 sendaro done up by Henry rumple but I only do it for fun. Never shot a competition. I remember being told that 7mm swift was a good choice.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

Back in the day (80's) 7-08 dominated, with a following of .308 winchester.

I shot a .308 HB Ruger and a 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf, but I wasn't all that serious.

Friend of mine shot a Rem 788 in 6mm. Not all the rams hit toppled .

If I was to shoot hunter class today, it would be 140gr out of a 7-08, or 130/140gr out of a .260 Rem.

It's lot's of fun and can be very humbling.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:09 PM

A buddy built a 30X47 which is very accurate, and he reckons is very easy to tune. My bet is it would do pretty well knocking down rams.