Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Wholesale Sports North looking really good!!!

Was just in the North Wholesale sports location. The place looks un believably better. All nice and neat. Really well organised and stuff is arranged so it makes sense. Shelves are also well stocked. Lots of really freindly staff and they have picked up all the loose garbage around the outside of the building.

Really nice to see the improvements.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 PM

The Lethbridge location has undergone a good sized reorganization inside the store as well, seems pretty good to me. They even have all the shotgun shells priced right on the shelves!! Not sure why that took so long, but it's always been a huge annoyance to me trying to figure out costs for shells.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 PM

That's nice to hear, haven't been in there lately.

I've been finding it easier to order from Prophet River lately.

Might have to stop and check the reloading section and see if they actually have what I need for once.

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 AM

They must have got rid of a lot of the dead wood behind the gun counter. They would sit and talk to each other and totally ignore the customer.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was just in the North Wholesale sports location. The place looks un believably better. All nice and neat. Really well organised and stuff is arranged so it makes sense. Shelves are also well stocked. Lots of really freindly staff and they have picked up all the loose garbage around the outside of the building.

Really nice to see the improvements.
Glad to hear that they dragged the horse carcasses away from out front.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks for telling us. Now we all just have to go there now!

Last time I went, which was about 3 months ago, didnt leave an impression where Id like to go back, unlike the South location, which is a pleasure to visit.
Also got to check out the Seraphim Armoury pistols nice, so close to buying one until the Mrs. came and started giving me the evil eyes.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 PM

Last time I was there was at break-up.Kind of a mediocre selection of loading stuff.But they had a young girl behind the gun counter that knew her stuff.Thank god I was pulled out of that store before I bought all the guns she showed me.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 PM

I made the trip today with hopes of this being true - it wasn't.
Yes they rearranged the store, yes the staff is friendly and try to be helpful - however I go to buy stuff not chat, and their shelves still are very poorly stocked.

I don't mean to vent here, but rather warn others thinking of making a couple hour trip to check it out - don't waste your time.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:24 PM

In all fairness, I should mention the woman at the gun counter is the only one I will deal with. She knows a lot, and isn't afraid to tell you if she doesn't. The others should learn from her.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Yes they rearranged the store, yes the staff is friendly and try to be helpful - however I go to buy stuff not chat, and their shelves still are very poorly stocked.

I don't mean to vent here, but rather warn others thinking of making a couple hour trip to check it out - don't waste your time.
This has been their affliction for years. At every location. I haven't been in any of them for years when they have had what I went in for.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Did you find what you wanted at P and D or Cabela's or Mil Arm while you were here? I too look for some pretty unusual stuff that is rarely in stock at any store in Edmonton. For these I have to call around a lot to locate what I am looking for.

Not to be hard to get along with but did it occur to you to perhaps call them and see if they had what you wanted in stock before making a special 2 hour trip?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM

Both wholesale sports north and south have a decent supply on hand. Problem is their staff really dont know much about the rifles or reloading stuff they are selling. Well none of the ones i have dealt with. Prices are good and thats what keeps me going back there not the service
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 AM

Their selection of cleaning supplies look like they were sourced in the 80's. Reloading supplies hardly exist. Their scope mount selection is absolutely abysmal. I haven't found a set of dies there for a cartridge I shoot in at least 20 years. They refuse to order anything in. Never clear old stock out, and would lose 3 out of five parcels through mail order. They are aweful.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Their selection of cleaning supplies look like they were sourced in the 80's. Reloading supplies hardly exist. Their scope mount selection is absolutely abysmal. I haven't found a set of dies there for a cartridge I shoot in at least 20 years. They refuse to order anything in. Never clear old stock out, and would lose 3 out of five parcels through mail order. They are aweful.

And as bad as their selection of reloading/cleaning supplies is, it is better than the selection in the Edmonton Cabelas stores.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did you find what you wanted at P and D or Cabela's or Mil Arm while you were here? I too look for some pretty unusual stuff that is rarely in stock at any store in Edmonton. For these I have to call around a lot to locate what I am looking for.

Not to be hard to get along with but did it occur to you to perhaps call them and see if they had what you wanted in stock before making a special 2 hour trip?
I wouldnt classify: 6.5 130gr accubonds, 7mm 140gr or 160gr accubonds, 30 cal 180gr ttsx, 7.62x39 dies - (or even non corrosive ammo), the new nosler reloading manual, any brand of bedding kit, 7mmRM remington or Winchester brass among a whole host of other smaller items (firearm related) as "pretty unusual".

But thanks for the tip, next time I will make a list and call them to go over it item by item. im sure they will love that.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 AM

They are a hell of a lot better than they used to be as far as attitude and service. Anyone remember back when there was only the one store and the line up to buy a gun was an hour wait and if you didn't like it there was not many other places to go? Holy crap did that suck. They still don't have much selection but neither does cabellas or any one else for that matter.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt classify: 6.5 130gr accubonds, 7mm 140gr or 160gr accubonds, 30 cal 180gr ttsx, 7.62x39 dies - (or even non corrosive ammo), the new nosler reloading manual, any brand of bedding kit, 7mmRM remington or Winchester brass among a whole host of other smaller items (firearm related) as "pretty unusual".

But thanks for the tip, next time I will make a list and call them to go over it item by item. im sure they will love that.
Do as you like, its your gas. You are looking for a very specific item, for example, not just any 180 grain 30 calibre bullet but a TTSX Barnes 180 grain.The Speer and Hornady 180 grain 30 calibre that were on the shelf weren't satisfactory.

Personally I won't drive even a few miles on spec that a store will have what I want. If I can't see their actual stock online, which I can at Prophet, CT, Lowes etc I always call ahead. I really don't care if they like it or not. Places that allow me to order and have it delivered to the store for pickup free, like Cabela's, I order on line and wait for them to call and tell me my order is in. I don't want to burn 50 bucks worth of gas chasing around on spec. that a store will have what I want and the store won't compensate me for stuff they don't have in stock. Their staff might as well be doing something useful.

That said, sorry if my post about the cleanup at WS lead you astray then I apologise, but I'm not covering the gas either.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:15 AM

No worries at all, and I certainly am not blaming you. I was just hopeful that they cleaned up their act. I'm surprised the north store can afford to stay open.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:22 AM

I find their stock to be much, much better as of late.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:05 PM

Yea I haven't seen wholesale this organized and stocked up... ever...
Old 07-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think you have been around the reloading game in Canada long enough to know that anything anybody is looking for, even the supposed common items every store should have wont be there, haven't been there, and if they are there you better jump on them cause they will be gone by that afternoon. Nowadays you have to start sourcing the items you will need a couple years in advance of needing them. Such is the state of supply in Canada, it isn't that much better in the US. I think you are very aware of this as are most others who have reloaded more than one box of shells in their life. You are just venting, it's understandable.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Default Wholesale sports

I got the same old service that I've come to expect, again today, at Wholesale sports north Edmonton. I phoned and attempted to reach the gun counter 3 times before, very shortly thereafter, walking into the store to be greeted by several bored looking salespeople. Upon reaching the gun counter I saw 4 salespeople all talking to the one, lone customer who was in there complaining about a scope mounting job that would not hold zero, for whatever reason. They did however, have the ammo that I was looking for so I dropped a few hundred bucks and swore off them again. If they were not open late they would never see my wallet again.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Well, not only have they spruced up the appearance of the store they are working hard on the overall customer service. Went in the other day to buy 17 HMR Federal that the flyer said was on sale for 14.39 a box. Had none in stock, even though the website said the North store did. Complained to the gun counter manager as this is happening way too often lately, only good thing is I don't have to go far to get to the store.

They actually ordered in the ammo for me and honoured the price of 14.39, even though regular price is 21.99.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-14-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Yeah, I've also been impressed lately. They were always known to me as "No-Sale" Sports. It was like death by a thousand out of stocks. Counter staff who knew absolutely nothing about what they were selling. The Edmonton north store has a real problem with bird sh1t by the front door.

....you get the idea. But in the last 4 or 5 months, that place has totally turned itself around. (Except for the odd staff idiot and the bird problem under that over hang at the front door.)
Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM

I like wss when they have hunting clothing on for 50% off. Being able to use a "wildcard" is a bonus. As far as reloading components they dont have a very good selection except for when they had the shipment of Alliant powder last February. If its bullets that i need i generally phone Prophet River and they are in the mail in 2-3days.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:37 PM

I like the store but sadly they aren't competitively priced on a lot of the gear. At 30% off right now their prices are close to cabela's regular price.