Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 AM

Default Any archers with a 27in Draw ???

I was just wondering how many guys out there are shooting a 27 inch draw weight? and what kind of speed your getting with your setups? if ya got details about the setups feel free to share!!

Phil
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 AM

I shoot a 27" draw and on 3 different bows I have 3 different speeds. 1st bow (Martin panther magnum) with 67' and a 350g arrow approx. I was getting average of 262ft/sec. With my Mathews switchback at 70lbs I get 276ft./sec. I have a Diamond Marquis and haven't chronoed it yet but hoping to get 275ish. The last 2 bows I shoot Carbon Express Maxima with 100gr FP, the Martin I shot ACC 3-39 with 85gr insert tip. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:59 AM

ahh...no worries just want to know what kinda speeds and setups you guys are shootin...I am gettin avg 270's with my Ross Cardiac...I wanna go faster but retain Brace height...Ohh well...No worries I like the setup...plenty fast for me...

A slow hit is better than a fast miss....LOL
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM

I'm a shorter draw length than you at 26" with 340 gr arrows at 60# and I am 268 fps.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 AM

duk dog what are you shooting for a setup? bow? brace height?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacphil View Post
duk dog what are you shooting for a setup? bow? brace height?
Hoyt Alpha Max 32" ATA, 7" BH
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Nice outfit for sure...I am going to try some different arrows...I am shooting 340.s and I think I am gunna cut a half inch off...mind you they are 11.9 gpi...But who knows...And i am taking the string leeches out... dont need them.

I will chrono Today

Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

I am shooting 27 inches at 60 pounds ..shootin 5.2 grains per pound (305 gr arrow ) and getting 307 fps out of my target bow . And at 68 pounds and 355 gr arrow and getting 317 fps out of my hunting bow ... I shoot an apa x2 and it has 7 1/4 inch brace and is buy far one of the smoothest bows out there. I also have a back up bow that is a solo cam and getting 303 at 70 pounds .. It also is an apa ..
Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Yes, Mamba those APA's are smokin fast bows. I think between them and pse they have answered the prayers of the short draw archers. Gone are the days you need a 29 or 30 inch draw lenth to see the performance from your bow. I will be purchasing a speed bow in the months to come...

For now the Old Cardiac is what I will be shooting

But I apreciate the info...278 with the shorter arrows and some 85gr heads...not too shabby for a cardiac

thanks for the reply's guys
Keep em coming

CP

Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM

DUK DOG...have you seen the Waddell version of the AlphaMax? with the black limbs and camo riser?

They are good bows from what I hear, super smooth and fast.

all the best and happy shootin

CP

Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, Mamba those APA's are smokin fast bows. I think between them and pse they have answered the prayers of the short draw archers. Gone are the days you need a 29 or 30 inch draw lenth to see the performance from your bow. I will be purchasing a speed bow in the months to come...

For now the Old Cardiac is what I will be shooting

But I apreciate the info...278 with the shorter arrows and some 85gr heads...not too shabby for a cardiac

thanks for the reply's guys
Keep em coming

CP
ever look at the Cardiac with the SD Cam? comes standard now...... gives your short draw length boys a increase in speed average gain about 13fps.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM

yeah those were never on the 07 cardies hey? I dno the ibo speed for the older ones are faster than the newer ones...WTF?? I dno why?

You would think once they had a bow that got reviews like the 07 they would have stuck with that design...hmmm I dno...instead they go and lose speed with the newer ones?

I think its a great bow, very forgiving and a pleasure to shoot IMHO

CP

Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM

think im gonna get me a carnivore
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Iam gunna look at them for sure...I wanna shoot the HCA speed force again as well...

I am just gunna shoot as many bows as possible and check them all out ...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Did you read my try outs on the 09 pse line up? minus the omen?

They were fast all fast..... the ladies bow which was the only one i would consider buying for my gf was set at 45lbs at 27inches... we chornid there using 320grainers... HOLY CRAP>..260fps....

The other bows were super fast too, i didn;t find the draw very smooth and there was some hand shock but they didn;t have stabilizers i put a stabilser on one and it shot a bit better
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM

yeah...they designed those bows with speed in mind for sure..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Nobody's mentioned hoyt yet. Short draw and good speed not to mention lighter in weight now.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Hoyt!!!

Quote:
DUK DOG...have you seen the Waddell version of the AlphaMax? with the black limbs and camo riser?

CP

I mentioned hoyt right after DUK DOG... I know they are great lots of shooters are supporting them...for good reason!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM

I just read the last couple threads, sorry. Just waitin on the arrival of my A-Max 32.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 PM

maybe you need the bone collector edition...With Waddell sig on it...

HEHEHE...I have yet to shoot that bow...But I will...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 PM

I'm not sold on the emblem or the black limbs. My buddy back east is gettin it though. I had to order my a-max from back east. nobody out here in AB wanted to deal!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 PM

lol...bummer...when did you come out here?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM

I moved west to my uncles place in April 2006, bought an acreage in Sundre and moved in in Sept 06'
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM

nice country...ou that way...lots of work???

Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 PM

I'm pretty fortunate that I can live anywhere. I work up in ft nelson. do a 2 and 2 shift
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM

OUCH...FT nelson..bummer...I dont like it up there too much...Grande prairie is nice though...so is the whole peace area...Sundre...Rocky all those places...LOVE THAT COUNTRY...

Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM

Hey I get to see lots of critters at work and then when I'm home in Sundre I get to see and hunt lots of critters.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:

CP
I've seen the version that has camo limbs and a black riser - wish I'd known about it when I bought mine. Sweet looking bow.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 AM

I would almost get that bow because I like waddell and think it would look good at some archery 3d shoots or somthing..LOL...I like the show too The Bone collecters...do you see their line of extreme sights...pretty slick stuff DUK...

If I had a AM MAX i would deck it out with the whole bone collectore setup...its all very nice stuff...

CP