Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM

Question Carbon vs. Aluminum Arrows

I need some advice for some more experienced archers. i will be Bear hunting in may and am wondering if i should gut away my Easton Game-Getter XX75 aluminum arrows and go out and buy some Beman carbon arrows, i will not only be hunting bear but also deer, elk and moose(when i get drawn). thanks for the advise.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Personally carbons..

last longer.. they can take alot more punishment then a alluminum arrow can.

once bent alluminums are hard to straighen and pretty much usless to use again.

The bee-mans arrows are cheaper now maybe spending an extra 20buck more for a dozen then for a dozen alluminums.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Your xx75 will more than adequate. If your use to shooting them and wish to continue, they will do you just fine. If you heard desires to go with something with a tad more speed then consider carbons. But again, your XX75's will do just fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
Your xx75 will more than adequate. If your use to shooting them and wish to continue, they will do you just fine. If you heard desires to go with something with a tad more speed then consider carbons. But again, your XX75's will do just fine.
X2
Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Carbons Rock...aluminums suck...spend any amount of time shooting and you will soon see why I say that...

if you switch the ics camo hunters are super nice and relatively cheap...also the new easton Powerflights are nice...cheap cheap...
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 PM

If i were you i would be looking at some Easton Axis arrows. They hit like a truck and dont bend like an aluminum.. its either broken or not, cant go wrong with that.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 AM

Thumbs up Yup

Carbon
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM

I agree Carbons are the way to go. They dont get bent, they are lighter and they fly faster. I know lots of guys who like aluminums though, basically just personal preference I think.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

I've been shooting aluminum for 8 years and I'm switching to carbon, just for durability.

don't buy cheap carbon arrows though, I'll be buying victory arrows.

I had the same xx75 arrow you have and have many kills with them and good groups.

I was never in a rush to change, but I'm finally down to 3 aluminum arrows, hence the change.

Personally I would not go spending money you don't need to.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I've been shooting aluminum for 8 years and I'm switching to carbon, just for durability.

I had the same xx75 arrow you have and have many kills with them and good groups.

I was never in a rush to change, but I'm finally down to 3 aluminum arrows, hence the change.

Good Choice BigRackLover

I have been shooting Victory for the last 2 years and they work awesome.
If you guys want to try a really good arrow try the Victory Breast Cancer arrows nice flo pink and very hard to lose after a pass through they stand out in the grass big time
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Full Metal Jackets

I definately agree with the carbon debate... But if price (150.00) isn't an option then i would recemmend the easton full metal jackets. They are much thinner than an XX75 and are aluminum exterior and carbon interior. Very strong and they fly like darts.

Cheers,
Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

which XX75s do you you use I have 6 2413's that ar brand new. If you can use them, they are yours... I'll give them to you at the St Paul 3d or MOAS.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 PM

I've shot both types back and forth, you use what works best. I went from using fingers for release to a mechanical release then back to fingers. I found that a good quality aluminum arrow is just as durable as an carbon (xx78's) I couldn't get good fletching clearance with the smaller diam. carbons so I went back to aluminums. Now with the drop away rests and a release a good carbon arrow is probably the way to go. How picky about accuracy are you? xx78 aluminum arrows are within .001 of an inch where most carbons are within .002 or .003 of straightness. Nobody I know drags there bow through through the bush so aluminums will only be bent if you abuse them.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM

Aluminums get bent at 3d tourneys or fun shoots, or hunting if you miss or god forbid somthing else happens. they are great for hunting and practise on target bags but other than that i can find no use for em....There is new technology for a reason, and you likem or ya dont.

Personally i will only shoot carbons or the aluminum carbon cross arrows made by easton....But you can buy easton powerflights for relatively the same price as carbons...

Good luck
Phil
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 AM

What you have is fine, if you want to shoot carbons you don't need to spend the bank roll.
Cheap carbons are just fine. We see more shaft damage in the broken buckets at clubs from the insert being pushed up the shaft than from broken shafts. Better prep and glue solves this . Use slow cure 24HR flexible epoxy.
Instant glues git brittle and fail over time.
As for straightness , if you are hitting the dirt ,not the target a couple thou. straightness shouldn't be your concern.
There are far more lost arrows than broken ones so a $45 a dozen carbon is not such a bad deal.
The degree of tuning you do will have a far greater influence than the arrow price or straightness.
They are arrows, not space shuttle parts.

Pete
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 AM

its not hittin the dirt that buggers up those aluminums, trees do a number on them though...LOL i have seen some pretty bent ones...Also i have seen some bend from people hitting the ground on awkward arrows...I will just say carbons are way more durable...More bang for your buck...I am one for longevity because I am cheap by nature...LOL

Phil