Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Make lots of big game cartridges in various rifle configurations to please everyone and make money is all.
World would be boring if we were all short and fat, short and fat gets it done too:
Short and Fat? Are you talking about the Wizums? THEY had one of those in a .243 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
The reason THEY make all of those other calibers is so WE can have choices and because choices $$ SELL $$ and since no one calibers has been proven BEST they can continue to SELL. If we all had 7mm Remington Magnums, life would be boring. Really boring!! Some like small carZ and some like semi tr trucks. If the name of the game is getting your ARZ from A to B the Carz are fine and the Semi will too, but cost TOO much and hard to get a parking spot when you get to Tim's. .....and when you get to Tim's not everyone wants or needs the xtra large triple triple. But THEY keep selling that stuff just for those who do
To be exact, people designing stuff to sell to others that think the need or WANT it!
Cat

Quote:
The reason THEY make all of those other calibers is so WE can have choices and because choices $$ SELL $$ and since no one calibers has been proven BEST they can continue to SELL. If we all had 7mm Remington Magnums, life would be boring. Really boring!! Some like small carZ and some like semi tr trucks. If the name of the game is getting your ARZ from A to B the Carz are fine and the Semi will too, but cost TOO much and hard to get a parking spot when you get to Tim's. .....and when you get to Tim's not everyone wants or needs the xtra large triple triple. But THEY keep selling that stuff just for those who do
ohhh good one ..your knowledge is a cartridge is the same as a Tim Horton's coffee ... and that's why they make diff sizes of coffee and calibers/cartridges .... amazing ... your choice I guess .. unbelievable
Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
Chuck .. you're the one that jumps from one side of the fence and back all the time .. ...
I think that this topic has been brought up so many times that one has to try both sides to make it more interesting.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
ohhh good one ..your knowledge is a cartridge is the same as a Tim Horton's coffee ... and that's why they make diff sizes of coffee and calibers/cartridges .... amazing ... your choice I guess .. unbelievable
Not exactly my point. My point is that in the end coffee drinkers and whitetail hunters know that they want.

The reason you have whatever you shoot is because you think you need it

The reason THEY sold you what you bought, is because THEY made the sale.

Hey I have bought all sorts of stuff I did not need and many times I bought stuff just to try, because it was fun.

My opinion is that for someone who just wants one caliber for non dangerous game the .243 will be a good choice for all the reasons those have used one have stated.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your justifications for you using a mini cartridge make no sence, with your logic one could just as easily say the make a 243 or a 6 mm for those who are scared of recoil and have no respect for the wildlife. Basically scared of the parking spot size at Tims so go small. You use of CAPS is ridicules and focuses on what radicalized your own points. His points are just as, or even more valid than yours, stop beating him up.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Not exactly my point. My point is that in the end coffee drinkers and whitetail hunters know that they want.

Hey I have bought all sorts of stuff I did not need and many times I bought stuff just to try, because it was fun.

My opinion is that for someone who just wants one caliber for non dangerous game the .243 will be a good choice for all the reasons those have used one have stated.
speak for yourself and your habits .. if you can't see the benefit of a xx large coffee over a small 243 then life goes on .. it's a simple need vs want vs KNOW what you need ... I think you need a large coffee with 5 sugar ...lol...you are off base here ...nite...oh and maybe afford like you said
Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe he knows what he wants and your condisending by your comments on what he thinks he needs however its clear you have more respect for a clean humane kill on an animal that might hurt you than an animal that cant hurt you. You may want to put a bit more thought into that. Maybe at least get a med. coffee.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Your justifications for you using a mini cartridge make no sence, with your logic one could just as easily say the make a 243 or a 6 mm for those who are scared of recoil and have no respect for the wildlife. Basically scared of the parking spot size at Tims so go small. You use of CAPS is ridicules and focuses on what radicalized your own points. His points are just as, or even more valid than yours, stop beating him up.
I do not think of the .243 as a mini cartridge. To suggest that I or anyone else that uses a .243 does not have respect for wildlife is insullting.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I do not think of the .243 as a mini cartridge. To suggest that I or anyone else that uses a .243 does not have respect for wildlife is insullting.
Your quote about dangerous game not mine. I just happen to think a bear deserves no better of a death than a whitetail. Sorry you feel insulted by your own statement but feel free to comment to its author.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 PM

Guys before this gets too out of hand can we pull the reins back in?
You both seem to be fairly level headed individuals , so let's continue without the verbal barbs and Antics akin to a House of Commons session, please?
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You both seem to be fairly level headed individuals , so let's continue without the verbal barbs and Antics akin to a House of Commons session, please?
Cat
Sorry its the dad in me watching the young fella taken a beat down. Lol and you know me and 243"s
Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat

Your about 5 pages to late.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
It was going FAIRLY well - I thought
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Forum gathering...image.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
your one and only post on this thread ... nice... talk about late ..

Last edited by Rio56; 12-29-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman1 View Post
So I know shot placement is everything... anyone with comments on a 243 being too small regardless? Looking to get my slightly built lady her first rifle.
Look what you started

Buy the rifle chambered in the .243 and never have a regret.

She will enjoy the rifle and you the table fare that is brought home every year.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 PM

I bought a .243 because I wanted one. I have always wanted one and I found this one in LH. Rare enough find. It is a tack driver and I would not hesitate to use it on a deer. I reload for it furthering my enjoyment of it. Bought it for coyotes then I picked up a TC 204.

Normally shoot a magnum and in a lot of situations it is too much.

I have a reasonable selection so when I go to a range I can be there for awhile. If it comes down to a budget I would go a bit bigger caliber.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Maybe he knows what he wants and your condisending by your comments on what he thinks he needs however its clear you have more respect for a clean humane kill on an animal that might hurt you than an animal that cant hurt you. You may want to put a bit more thought into that. Maybe at least get a med. coffee.
Now where in all that I said did I say I had less respect for any specific animal kill? Where did I say that I did not desire a humane kill for any game? For pronghorn, both species of deer , and elk and moose the 243 would be OK for me. As far as those that would want to 'hurt you' for starters I do not hunt those, but if I did I would want to not only want a humane kill shot but I would also choose to break and STOP (sorry if CAPS offend). If I had a choice between humane and break and kill I would choose break and kill. Last year when I killed my moose I could have done so with less than the WSM that I used, but I will say that it was comforting to keep the WSM loaded and close till the Moose was loaded and we were away from the kill site.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 PM

I have hunted at least 4 seasons with each 243, 7x57, 30-06, and 7mm wby mag. I've come to the conclusions that I don't enjoy heavy kickers and on the flip side I found the 243 to be a slow killer.

My most recent and significant rifle purchase was chambered in 6.5-06 and Ive hunted with it for 3 seasons. In my experience there is a noticable performance difference between 85gr 6mm and 140gr 6.5mm.

The next one is planned for 6.5x55. 6.5mm is the sweet spot for me.

Today, I always suggest 260 to anyone considering a 243 for big game duty.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM

I was a big fan of the 243. I've taken deer and black bear with it, reloaded for it, and have logged a fair bit of range time with it.
3 years ago it broke my heart a little.
I took a fairly large mule buck at about 220 yards with some Speer 100gr hand loads. First shot, the deer twitched like it was shaking off a fly, but just stood there. I promptly unloaded my remaining 3 shots; 2 into the boiler room one into it's jaw. (The head shot was an error in judgment)
The deer took about 5 steps then laid down like it was taking a nap. It was
Probably the most peaceful euthinization of a deer I've seen. The deer's reaction, or lack there of disturbed me and sent me on a quest for a different caliber. I sold it and went to a 270.
I've heard of moose reacting like that when shot, but not deer. Maybe I'm a little inexperienced as it was only the 2nd deer I had dispatched myself but it bothered me. The 270 on the other hand did a beauty of a job on the two I took this year.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.poholka View Post
I was a big fan of the 243. I've taken deer and black bear with it, reloaded for it, and have logged a fair bit of range time with it.
I took a fairly large mule buck at about 220 yards with some Speer 100gr hand loads. First shot, the deer twitched like it was shaking off a fly, but just stood there. I promptly unloaded my remaining 3 shots; 2 into the boiler room one into it's jaw. (The head shot was an error in judgment)
Probably the most peaceful euthinization of a deer I've seen. The deer's reaction, or lack there of disturbed me and sent me on a quest for a different caliber. I sold it and went to a 270.
I've heard of moose reacting like that when shot, but not deer. Maybe I'm a little inexperienced as it was only the 2nd deer I had dispatched myself but it bothered me. The 270 on the other hand did a beauty of a job on the two I took this year.
Not .243 related.... but sometimes deer (or any game) just do that. I've shot two mature whitetail bucks as they were following does that didn't so much as twitch an ear at the shot. One kept trotting for 10-15 yards before falling over and the other kept going for 30ish yards before tipping over. .270/130 hot-cor and .30-06/165 SGK respectively.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Witnessed the same thing, happen to a fellow shooting a 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 150 grain(mix of Ballistic Tips and Partitions) 3 or 4 shots, last one was when the buck turned to go up the opposite face of the coulee, which broke the spine. First 2 or 3 were in the chest, all could be covered with your open hand, the lungs were mush.

Some days it's the critter, not the cartridge.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I have had this happen with deer that I shot with a 30-06 and also with 50 cal BP. Just happened to be the day the critter wanted to stay standing a bit longer before taking a nap.

The one rifle that I sold that I wish I had back was a 70's Remington 700 BDL in 243. Very accurate rifle and fun to shoot. I sold it when the kids got older and I moved them to larger calibers. They took quite a few deer with no lost animals with that rifle.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Some animals and people have an amazing will to live.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Not .243 related.... but sometimes deer (or any game) just do that. I've shot two mature whitetail bucks as they were following does that didn't so much as twitch an ear at the shot. One kept trotting for 10-15 yards before falling over and the other kept going for 30ish yards before tipping over. .270/130 hot-cor and .30-06/165 SGK respectively.
I do not think what was described is a caliber specific sort of thing. I had a similar incident this year with a hefty mule buck with a caliber larger than 243.. Close to a broadside standing at 200 yards. I expect a quick burst of about 30 to 50 yards but this guy just flinched and stood there. He seemed more interested with another buck that was following him. That shot was a double lung with lots of destruction and he did know he was dead. He took a step and I put another shot through the same hole.

Several years ago I double lunged a large mule buck with a 270 wsm and he walked 90 yards before just laying down. A day later same yardage and shot placement same rifle I double lunged a wt buck. At the shot he flipped and came down on his back with 4 feet straight up.

With a 160 grain partition I had a bull moose just stand there and chew and let me double lung him again before he went down on his front knees.

Most of the ones that stay on the spot is when I pull a bit high or get onto the shoulder, which I usually try to avoid.

You never know for sure how game will react after a well placed shot.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It was
Probably the most peaceful euthinization of a deer I've seen. The deer's reaction, or lack there of disturbed
I would think that peaceful euthinization is good. After reading your description I think you had meat on the table after the first shot.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM

Default 1000 muckley

Haha, ya for sure peaceful is a good thing. I hope I'm that cool when my time comes.
I guess at 200+ yards I was hoping for an indication that he was hit. I thought I was missing him. His chest was lung soup when I opened him up, so the first shot was probably enough. When he didn't go down, a bunch of thoughts went through my head about my rifle/scope/bullets, as well as my own skill set.

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their similar experiences. Although, it's making me regret selling that rifle.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Some animals and people have an amazing will to live.
Not with holes in major plumbing.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-30-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Jeepers I hit a nice whitetail buck at 20 yards, double lunged, with a 385gr hornady greats plain bullet pushed by 100gr of pyrodex...when the smoke cleared he was just standing there...then laid down, well I tell ya I was all over the reloading procedure, walked up to see a quarter sized hole at entry and a fist size hole on the exit...then again I shot bucks with the little 243 before being converted to a 6-284 that dropped like they were hit by lightning double lunged too...

Closed Thread