Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Default newbie from med hat

Hey yall, just thought i would introduce myself, new to the forum as well as hunting as well as bow hunting. I recently purchased a bow off a buddy of mine as he needed the money, and i thought i should get out and hunt. i have been out hunting before a few times, when i was 11 my dad bought me an air rifle and there wasnt any rabbits, cats, porkupines left on the ranch after the first winter with it. my dad took down a 6x6 elk that year with a 243 rifle. but times change and everyone got to busy for stuff like that. anyways i bought an older browning compound bow with a 28" draw and 60# draw wt. came with a few easton aluminum arrows and thats about it. im looking into buying a whisker biscuit and a nice fibre optic sight of some kind. im thinking ill start small, rabbits, prairie chicken, pheasant, that kind of stuff and get some practices for about a year and then i should be confident enough to go out and take down a nice size white tail doe. i was just wondering if anyone has any good pointers for a young guy starting out, any great stories, what to buy, where to go, that kinda thing.
nice meeting you all
Mike
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Welcome. I'm not a bow guy myself, but in scanning other threads there are a few guys down your way in Medicine Hat that could probably give you some pointers.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Welcome to the Board , Always nice to see new Archery guys out there .
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

Great to see another Hatter on here!! If you need some help let me know. We also have an archery club in town and you can practice indoors all winter.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 PM

thanks guys, renslip you in medicine hat too? ive been looking for stuff here in town and everyone says to go to bow island (no pun intended) theres a guy on the hill tileske i think? but it seems hes never open, i work night shifts so i dont know if hes open during the week but every saturday i check at 12 and he never seems to be open. if you know of a place to go let me know, theres not much for equipment either, mels (the outdoorsman) doesnt have much for bow hunting other than the obvious. ive been looking for a whisker biscuit in town, no one seems to have them.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Alright, first get you and your new found toy to a pro shop and have everything fitted. Then start shooting a lot out to 30 yds. I liked shooting at those 3/4" dots they sell at Staples and Grand and Toy. Aim small miss small.
Then have a good fixed blade broadhead (I'll recommend Slick Tricks as they fly wicked true and are reasonable) tuned to the same outfit. And if you ever are able to hit a pheasant or rabbit with the bow, you'll be a shoe in for the big stuff. Eventually you can keep extending your comfort range with that equipment.
Archery for some reason can be a clique sport. Ignore the holier than thou's and just keep shooting.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Welcome Flatback I too am from the Hat and travel in some of the same circles as Renslip (but don't hold that against me). teliske has diferrent hours I know he's open till 7pm some nites. Bow Island is worth the trip they've got lots of stuff out there. The archery club in town is an excellent source of info the boys aren't shy about giving a newbie a hand and will help you tune / set up your bow no prob.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 PM

where and how do i join these clubs? ive been wanting to get it tuned and the internet has helped for the most part but i know this bow could be better.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Teleske's is closed right now, I guess for some asbestos problems in the building he is in. Wendell in Bow Island or Jim Bow's in Calgary are good as well. I will let you know when we are starting to shoot indoors again. Shoot me a pm with your name and phone # and I will get in contact with you. About the whisker biscuit. Go on line and check out the Spott Hogg Whammy. It is a great rest. I have one and love it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 PM

I personally wouldnt go with a biscuit rest. They are nice that your arrow doesnt fall out but i find they arnt as consistant as other rests.
I would look into a prong rest of a drop away.

I use a prong rest myself, and have never had a problem with accuracy, and consistancy.

I noticed you said you are using alluminum arrows. i would definaty pick up some carbon arrows, they will last WAY longer and are quicker, smaller, and stronger.

I havnt found a sight that i want to stick with yet, but Trophy Ridge offers some great sights.

Im not sure if you have broadheads picked out yet, but i would suggest either Sonics, G5's, or Slick tricks. Stay away from mechanical broadheads as they sometimes do not open up on impact and animals will suffer or get away. Fixed blades in my mind are the best way to go.

hope this helps. if you ever want to meet up for coffee and talk more archery, i am also here in medicine hat.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the board. If you are looking for a whisker biscuit I have one and could bring it to the Sportman show this weekend if you are coming. Bought a used bow and it came with it. Problem was that it does not work with the bow and had to go to a drop away rest. Biscuit has never been used and will get rid of it for cheap.

I am hoping to be there around 8am to help out with set up as I have missed the last few meetings and have not been any help in getting this thing organized. I will have my 2 boys with me and they will be in Sask Roughriders jackets (don't hold that against me as their uncle bought them). I may also be drinking a beer if they have some again this year.

Must say that I have not joined the Archery Club either but should and renslip has been a heck of a great help in me getting some information on getting farther into bow hunting. Telesky Archery is closed right now because of a sewer backup from the city. They have shut him down because they found mold. If you call and leave a message he will call you back as he helped me set up this new bow and found the issue with the biscuit.

Hope to see you Saturday or around in the field or on the lake.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Hammer Handle

Go to as many archery shoots as you can there's always lots of guys at shoots willing to share info not to mentoin it's great practice. As far as the rest goes go with a drop away they are great I have been using one for five years now and it has been totally trouble free it doesn't matter what the temperature is. But that's just my two cents hope the info helped you out.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Whisker Biscuit

stay away from the biscuit...Lots of guys like'em but they suck when its cold out or wet and cold...I had one and switched to the QAD ultra drop away rest-----never looked back best rest I have used tunes easy works great...LOL..

there are plenty of sights out there some guys like the wound fibre optic with tonnes of fibre optic line all over them...I suggest you look at spot hogg or tru glo with the black light illumination, I can literally use all of the legal hunting light with mine I never rely on the sun...haha

Good luck and welcome to the sport
Phil
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM

so far im loving it, very acurate i have no problem keeping a 3" group, second i love being able to walk around in the brush with my bow loaded and not worry about my arrow falling off. i did notice a little bit of noise and bought a spray that weatherproofs it and cuts down the noise.