Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 AM

Default Any experience with Zastava M70's

Hello fellow outdoors Persons:
Thinking of a 3 gun battery in Zastava M70's Left Hand! Possibles would be 223 Rem., 6.5x55 Swed.,& 9.3x62. Any one with experience with this rifle ? Would like to hear from you. You know fit and finnish, handling, accuracy,and the likes. Handled one years ago , when they were Remington M798's. Not a bad rifle I thought . Never fired it though! Any info would be great!
Thanx: Evil72

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well

Last edited by evil72; 01-03-2014 at 03:31 AM. Reason: miss spelled words
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

I have two.
The only reason that more guys don't own em is because the big box stores don't stock em.

Whats not to like?
Descent wood.
A large ring mauser action built by the same people in the same plant that produced most if not all of those mauser actions the German Army used... the same ones later used in countless Parker Hales and other post war rifles...pricing that is competative with the best selling North American bolt actions and all available in both popular European and popular North american calibres.

I ahve two and the only thing I could knock about em is the actual wood finish.
It is a bit rougher than some might wish for but... a guy can strip the lacquer off and give em a hand rubbed oil finish very easily.
I'm slipping my second one into a high grade M-70 Winny stock as we speak.

Do a thread search... there are a couple reviews I think....and IO know that I posted pics of my fist one...with a mannlicher stock.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM

I've got 2. One in .375 H&H and one in .458 Win.

Both are quite similar to my FN Made Browning .30-06 Safari as apparently they are made on the same tooling. Surprisingly nice wood for the price, but could use a refinish as BDB said. Action was a little rough at first but cycling it a bit smoothed it out, but others have also mentioned some polishing to smooth it up.

I haven't fired the 458 yet (xmas gift), but one thing that does stand out for DG cartridges is that the front sling mount is on the stock, rather than a barrel band, so watch the hands if you're buying it in something big and nasty.

If buying it in a lighter cartridge, it is a pretty heavy rifle (8 lbs in a ..308) for carrying around all day, like most commercial mausers, and if buying it in a heavy hitting cartridge it is a little light (8.5 lbs in 458) if you're doing much shooting with it.

That being said, it's a great gun for the price and I've been eyeing up a 9.3x62 with the mannlicher stock as my next purchase.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Default Apreciative

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil72 View Post
Thinking of a 3 gun battery in Zastava M70's Left Hand! Possibles would be 223 Rem., 6.5x55 Swed.,& 9.3x62. Any one with experience with this rifle ? Would like to hear from you. You know fit and finnish, handling, accuracy,and the likes. Handled one years ago , when they were Remington M798's. Not a bad rifle I thought . Never fired it though! Any info would be great!

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well
Thanx: Guys. That give some good food for thought!

Regards:Evil72
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Default m70

Have to agree the wood finish is somthing to be desired, I find the cast off on my hand a tad different, the wood at the pistol grip is a little thin. I have the mannlicher in 7x57 but it is what it is,an economical mauser. If I new a reputable stockmaker Id have a new stock put together, but for the price, its a heck of a good gun. Zastava has been under many names the first that comes to mind is interams, many where imported through virginia, quality was a bit better back then but again its not the most expensive rifle on the market. Best place I found to purchase was tradex out of Bantario
Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 PM

I do not think Parker Hale used Yugo Mausers, I believe they used surplus K98's for a while and then Spanish made 98's.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I do not think Parker Hale used Yugo Mausers, I believe they used surplus K98's for a while and then Spanish made 98's.
Zastava made the M98 actions for the German Military until 1941.

I am assuming that some of those actions ended up being bought up by Parker Hale and others after the war.

Other than that all I can tell you is that there appears to be very little difference between my Zastavas and my Parker Hales.
The bolt handle is slightly different but otherwise... its pretty much a carbon copy.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Good rigs for the price and come in left hand. Bought my 7x57 from Tradex too but have since found that Gagnon out of Quebec is about $150 cheaper. They also carry synthetic stainless models but only in right hand, if that is what you are into.

http://www.gagnonsports.com/index.ph...family=Zastava
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

I would not mind giving one of their small bores a try.

Any one try a small bore?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Banned

I don't own one, but had a lefty come to my work bench to shorten the stock and fit the recoil pad. I must admit that I was pleased with the gun and it's functionability. The wood wasn't the nicest nor the worse considering price. I could not truly evaluate the fit as I shoot RH. But the owner who is a lefty did express issues with the stock fit in regards to te cheek piece. Othewise, these appear to be a decent value gun providing that they shoot straight of course.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanx: Dean2
That info is much apreciated!!
Regards: Evil72
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Thanx: Gitrdun
I assume it was a monty carlo style cheek piece. They also have a straight stock as well.
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM

The rifle that gitrdun mentioned is mine. I find the Monte Carlo when trying to use the iron sights very uncomfortable. I have mounted a scope on it and the Monte Carlo is fine with that but there is not much point in back-up irons if you can't use them. I will most likely be removing the Monte Carlo and and reprofiling the stock. As mentioned it had a very long length of pull of 15" so I had gitrdun cut it down to 14 1/2".
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM

I believe P&D has one in .375 H&H for just over $700. It doesnt look like a bad rifle for the price if someone is wanting a big moose masher for less money.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Another thing I should have added is that with it being a Mauser action, if you want to mount a shorter scope such as a 2-7x33 Leupold or something similar it is a bit of a nightmare due to the length between the bases. I would suggest sticking to scopes with longer tubes if you want to avoid using a rail.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanx:CheeseBurger
That info is great! I like the 2-7x33's, bummer. I will look for the rifle(s) in the Hogs Back, con. fig. then. No cheek piece. I like iron sights.
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I believe P&D has one in .375 H&H for just over $700. It doesnt look like a bad rifle for the price if someone is wanting a big moose masher for less money.
Not too long ago they also had 270, 308 and 30-06 in Zastava M70 (if memory serves me correctly) for the same price.

For those that might be interested.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well
Never fired one but from what I read on them they should be very nice and reliable rifle.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Thanx:CheeseBurger
That info is great! I like the 2-7x33's, bummer. I will look for the rifle(s) in the Hogs Back, con. fig. then. No cheek piece. I like iron sights.
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well!
If you want to go with a 2-7x33 you need extension rings. I went with Weaver's and found that medium's worked best.

I'm working on trying to get a Boyd's stock for mine. An easy task if you are shooting right handed but I shoot left handed.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Very accurate for a hunting rifle, sub MOA out of the box is awesome. Stock is walnut utility grade but very nice for tramping through the bush, oil finish not lacquer, Great bluing.
I have the Z98 in 270win and the M70 in 375 H&H, I also purchased the MP22 in 22LR, I am very pleased with them all.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I would not mind giving one of their small bores a try.

Any one try a small bore?
Define small... I have one in 6.5x 55 and am happy with it.... thats smallish...sort of.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Banned

Sorry.

I was thinking of a rimfire in .22 or .17.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 PM

they are decent guns. Strong mauser 98 action, and shoot accurate but the actions I really rough.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:06 AM

Default good

I had a m70 in 375h&h shooting 300gr, i fount it nicer then shooting a browning with the same rounds and no jams or any other problems, now im looking at getting one in 308win from a friend of mine since i miss my 375.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:54 AM

I like my lefty in 30 06. Get alot of rifle for the price.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
I'm working on trying to get a Boyd's stock for mine. An easy task if you are shooting right handed but I shoot left handed.
Boyd's does make a LH Zastava stock but with the crappy $$ they are a little dear... however...only required some minor fitting prior to bedding and free floating. I ordered direct and it was here in less than a month. I bought btm metal to fit a commercial 98 and with again some minor fitting it looks good. The action was a little rough but after.....a lot of cycles...it smoothed out pretty good I did tune the bolt sleeve lock a bit and used the factory trigger adjustments to get a great crisp, no creep, no travel, 3 lb trigger.

Now if would just warm up I can start load development.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Banned

That is very nice bottom metal Rugersingle. May I ask where you purchased it?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Tradeex has them..same place I bought the rifle.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:32 PM

What about the safety? It's not the traditional Mauser 3-pos safety is it?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Another thing I should have added is that with it being a Mauser action, if you want to mount a shorter scope such as a 2-7x33 Leupold or something similar it is a bit of a nightmare due to the length between the bases. I would suggest sticking to scopes with longer tubes if you want to avoid using a rail.
Just use offset bases.