Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Remington 597 .22lr

I don't know if it's crap ammo, or the gun. After shooting several rounds, it began jamming and misfiring. Nice clean dots of the rims of the cartridges. Even tried one twice. Two dots in the cartridge and no discharge. And constant jamming.

Finally after a few more rounds, the handle on the action where you pull it back (forgive me for not knowing the technical term) flew out. Could it have been the stress of jamming that made this happen? Could it have been the ammo that causes it to jam? The ammo I was using was the big box of winchester .22lr

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Hard to believe. And I have yet the skills or courage to take my gun apart, a skill all gun owners should have I know.

I don't think it is due to being dirty seeing that it is practically a new rifle.

What do yall think..... thanks.

Ps I do have a gunsmith I'm taking it to. Just curious if this is a common occurrence.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 AM

Is it new, used? I had a new one that needed to get sent for warranty due to nonstop FTF and FTE. Got it back and nothing had changed. Sent it back again but after buying a new rifle and getting it fixed twice within a short period of time I got rid of it and counted myself blessed that I did. This is my personal opinion : They suck. Badly.

YMMV
Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Try the black 30 rnd mag.,try several different ammo brands, clean thoroughly. The charging handle is made to pull straight out for removal. Be sure to pull straight back for cocking. My 597 keeps getting better the more I shoot it. I believe the 10 rnd. mag that comes with them cause most of the problems.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 AM

First I would YouTube how to take it apart and clean it well. Second thing I would try is a few types of ammo with the factory mag.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM

I had a problem with jaming and miss fires with the Winchester wild cat ammo, switched to the remeigton bulk pack and never had a problem after
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM

I have the heavy barrel 597 and love it. I find my ammo has to be movig over 1000 Fps to cycle it's self and in my 30 round clip only fill half maybe 20 shells. I find misfires are with the the "bulk" ammo and there's a reason why it's cheap. Good luck and worst case sed it back and get warrenty.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

First, if the striker made two dents in a round and it didn't discharge, it's not the fault of the firearm. The round is defective.

I'm VERY familiar with these rifles. Inside and out, everything about them. I'm a bit of an enthusiast.

They have the potential to be excellent in accuracy and reliability from the factory. Many are.

Some are not.

Their QC seems to be improving a lot lately which is great.

You may have gotten a lemon though.

When your charging handle (operating handle) flew out of the action, you VERY likely had an out of battery discharge. I bet your extractor is gone too.

Simply send the rifle back to Remington.

Don't lose hope. There are lemons. There are ones that are amazing.

Depending on where you are located, I bet I could get that thing humming along like a sewing machine.

Did you say that you DON'T have the confidence to dissassemble the rifle? Well - you should. It's a pretty basic part of firearms ownership. The manual also tells you that this must be done to remove the factory grease. The bolt guide rods should be adjusted for tension etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM

The one I had really didn't like Winchester ammo, I found I got the least jams and missfires with Remington ammo. A good cleaning would probably help as well even its new they usually come shipped oiled and greased.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM

I have the heavy barreled verion and have had no issues with it, the clear 30 round mags work great have two that i have put 1K rounds through each, no issues.

the black ones i had two the one split when i loaded 30 rounds into it, the other would FTF often. ditched them and havent looked back.

I use the federal champion 525 bulk ammo almost exclusively I have even put 35 rounds in the 30 round mag with no issues, though in that instance there was no fast fire, slow and steady.

since I put the new boyds SS elvolution stock on it, I have been babying it, it has not not seen the field since.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121218-01013.jpg (50.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Default 597

I own 3, 597's. One I have had for 5 years, one for a year and the other is brand new. Can you tell I like 597's.

When I bought my first 597 I had a couple issues with it. Mostly failures to fully eject the ammo. I started reading on line and decided to see if I could improve the situation. I was nervous at first as I am far from a gunsmith but they are pretty easy to work on.

There are a couple things that I think you should do. First take the trigger group out an give the internals a good cleaning. There are good instructions on how to do this in your manual, look on line for a copy if you dont have a paper one. Also look here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...play.php?f=218

scroll down to the sticky with the best 597 threads and read, there are many good tips. Spray out the trigger group with brake clean or Rem cleaner etc. use a touch of dry lube in the spots shown in your manual. Remove the guide rails and bolt, clean the rods and bolt. polish the rods and lightly lube. Polish the contact surfaces of the bolt. Reassemble being careful not to over tighten the guide rods, they will bind and mess up your bolt travel.
This will probably take you less then an hour.

Once you get your gun back together head out shooting with a few types of ammo, rimfire semis are known to be very picky about ammo. I find most high velocity ammo works pretty good with CCI mini-mags working the best, for me. I have had the least success with Rem and Winchester ammo.

If you are in the Calgary area Id be more then happy to walk you through break down and cleaning this gun, send me a PM.

If all else fails send it Remington, but I have a feeling that with a little time, some Rem cleaner and a few types of ammo you will love this gun.
Hopefully the extractor isnt missing.