Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Some animals and people have an amazing will to live.
Exactly even when hit with a 300 win mag double lung and still cover 150 yards full out...amazing is right.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 PM

I wonder whos going to tell all those animals shot in BC with 223, 222 and other smaller cals that they shouldn't have died quickly and should have run 100s of meters and suffered for hours instead of flopping over dead.

Still haven't had any of the guys saying a 243 is to small willing to go out 700 meters and have the bullet bounce off them.

Couple more 1000 posts added to these guys post counts and we will need a 338 to take out gophers.

Though lots on here seem to think compensating bad shot angle with a magnum makes it better somehow.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM

Default a bit long

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.poholka View Post
Haha, ya for sure peaceful is a good thing. I hope I'm that cool when my time comes.
I guess at 200+ yards I was hoping for an indication that he was hit. I thought I was missing him. His chest was lung soup when I opened him up, so the first shot was probably enough. When he didn't go down, a bunch of thoughts went through my head about my rifle/scope/bullets, as well as my own skill set.

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their similar experiences. Although, it's making me regret selling that rifle.

A couple years ago a I drew a antler less elk tag in 304. Gray Cup day accompanied by two younger hunters I climbed a snowy fenced cut line to a ridge where we had spotted a herd. After a very physical climb to the top a small band of elk came out below us and crossed the fence. All eyes were on us but I must have heard them coming (I don't know for sure) because my scope was settled on the sweet spot of a big cow.

The range was less than 100 yards and it should have been a bang flop. There was the BANG! But no PLOP? In the small amount of time it took to recover my sight, the elk had reversed , through the fence and were last seen going back where they came. No elk on the ground! I couldn't have missed!
One of my companion said “I did not hear the hit” and the other said “I did not see you hit”.

One of the younger guys said he would go down and look for blood. I was tired! The young guy jogged down! Hate those young guys! I went \with the other young guy and took up the trail. It was easy to follow. No blood! The other young guy jogged up and reported no blood. “I could not have missed” They sort of nodded but the look they gave me said “Sure you could have! This sort of thing happens when you get older” This story is getting long so I will shorten it. We trailed the herd for about 2 hours and even saw it a few times but saw no wounded animals I ticked the two young guys because I would not take one. Wiped out tired I just wanted to go home but first go back to where I shot. “I could not have missed”

Found my elk! Piled up in the snow! About 40 yards from point of hit Double lung! Lots of blood! The elk must have dropped within the time I lost my sight picture and no one saw. No one heard because the distance was short and the bang covered the plop. My fault! I should have checked for the blood myself.

Nosler Accubond 140 grain! Larger than 243. Right where I wanted it! Until I found my elk I was starting to believe that I missed. Not all clean kills look the way we expect.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 PM

I have shot lots of animals as well when I did not hear the bullet hit but they did n fact die quickly and were hit right where I aimed.
One thing have noticed is that quite often if a rib or other bone was hit it was very audible no matter what cartridge was used.
Cat
Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Not with holes in major plumbing.

Oh they will eventually die,sometimes it takes a while.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
I wonder whos going to tell all those animals shot in BC with 223, 222 and other smaller cals that they shouldn't have died quickly and should have run 100s of meters and suffered for hours instead of flopping over dead.

Still haven't had any of the guys saying a 243 is to small willing to go out 700 meters and have the bullet bounce off them.

Couple more 1000 posts added to these guys post counts and we will need a 338 to take out gophers.

Though lots on here seem to think compensating bad shot angle with a magnum makes it better somehow.
Cat, these kinds of post are what stir things up
Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Your justifications for you using a mini cartridge make no sence, with your logic one could just as easily say the make a 243 or a 6 mm for those who are scared of recoil and have no respect for the wildlife. Basically scared of the parking spot size at Tims so go small. You use of CAPS is ridicules and focuses on what radicalized your own points. His points are just as, or even more valid than yours, stop beating him up.
Replies like this are just as good at stirring things up .
let's all try to get along here and instead of arguing a point simply discuss it.
Putting each other down does nothing as far as adding to the thread.
Cat
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM

As I have said in other .243 threads. 100gr broad head , 117gr 2506, sure. A 100gr .243 nope not close.....blah blah I have seen more game get away from ubber magnums because dumb @$$$ hunters can't hit what there aiming at. Scared of recoil. My biggest buck to date went over 200 yards in thick Bush with no lungs or top of the heart. My nephew shot a buck at 200 yards with a .243 ballistic tip he fell in 30 ft. Hunt long enough and crap happens. Hell I shot a cow moose with 300gr sst out of my muzzleloader and it went 80yards. Animals react different. This argument will be going till the end of time.
Happy new year
Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Animals react different. This argument will be going till the end of time.
Happy new year
And with that let's close this thread down, because the above about says it all IMO.
Cat