Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Girsan 9mm cycle fail.- limp wristing?

Hello all,

I've recently bought a brand new girsan 9mm, that had been having an issue when women want to shoot it.

I've not had 1 jam myself, but as soon as my wife and sister shoot it, it jams.

The slide catches the ejecting shell, and fails the cycle of the pistol. I've never had this until now, and both women have had no problem firing my S&W 9mm as well as me Norinco 1911. I have fields stripped it on sight to make sure it wasn't internal.

Someone had mentioned limp wristing to me as an option and now I'm asking you all your thoughts. This is my first year as a firearms owner, so still pretty new on the scene.

Thanks all..
Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay69 View Post
Hello all,

I've recently bought a brand new girsan 9mm, that had been having an issue when women want to shoot it.

The slide catches the ejecting shell, and fails the cycle of the pistol. I've never had this until now, and both women have had no problem firing my S&W 9mm as well as me Norinco 1911. I have fields stripped it on sight to make sure it wasn't internal.

Someone had mentioned limp wristing to me as an option and now I'm asking you all your thoughts. This is my first year as a firearms owner, so still pretty new on the scene.

Thanks all..
No idea what limp wristing is, but would it perhaps have something to do with the women not holding the firearm firmly enough that all of it's recoil is diverted into cycling the action as it should? IF they are absorbing some of the recoil with their hands/wrists/arms might that have some impact?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:15 PM

proper grip, cleaning and lubing of the FA, or recoil spring tuning (or all of them combined) will solve the problem....
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 PM

Yes it does happen

Try to get them to lock they elbows more firmly when shooting
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Going to go with locking elbows / stronger wrists and see if that solves it.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:55 AM

locking elbows?????????? huuuuuge mistake......
Old 10-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No idea what limp wristing is, but would it perhaps have something to do with the women not holding the firearm firmly enough that all of it's recoil is diverted into cycling the action as it should? IF they are absorbing some of the recoil with their hands/wrists/arms might that have some impact?
You've unknowingly described exactly what 'limp wristing' is...so you do know
And that sounds exactly like what it is.
I have a 1911. Works perfectly for myself and my 15 year old. My 13 year old who needs a good growth spurt to catch up to his brother experiences at least one stovepipe every mag...it's because his grip just isn't as strong as mine or his brothers.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 PM

My daughter who is fairly small and not real strong has put well over 1000 rounds thru her Girsan and never had one failure with it and has shot it one handed left and right in a few local competitions, but she has had a few stove pipes with my 1911 due to a weaker grip.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=sureshot73;3357130]My daughter who is fairly small and not real strong has put well over 1000 rounds thru her Girsan and never had one failure with it and has shot it one handed left and right in a few local competitions, but she has had a few stove pipes with my 1911 due to a weaker grip.[/QUOTE

See, I've never had an issue with my 1911. It's never jammed on me or any females. But this girsan has a strong hate for the female's.. It's a sexiest gun, and the thing is hot pink. I bought it so the girls in my life had a nice pink gun to shoot, and it turns out the pistol hates them..
Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay69 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks all..
I also have a girsan 9mm. Mine has run flawlessly, and I've had no issues with it nor has anyone else whose shot it. What ammo are you using? I've been running 115gr S&B and Remington UMC. Maybe you should clean and oil it well and try again. In improper grip can cause cycling issues, make sure they're gripping it tightly using the proper hand on hand technique.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
I also have a girsan 9mm. Mine has run flawlessly, and I've had no issues with it nor has anyone else whose shot it. What ammo are you using? I've been running 115gr S&B and Remington UMC. Maybe you should clean and oil it well and try again. In improper grip can cause cycling issues, make sure they're gripping it tightly using the proper hand on hand technique.
Gripping it tightly is a large contributor of accuracy problems. Tighter grip won't help anything imo.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 PM

My buddy has an S&W 41 that he can't put a mag of ammo through with out getting a jam, I shoot the gun and it never fails... Limp wristing at it's finest!