Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 AM

Default poachers get jail

Well, it's a start. Not particularly severe, if you ask me...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Trave...593/story.html
Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

You're right, it is a start.

Anyone noticed that the trial for Gifford Fox and Bill Morton has gone earily quiet? I've emailed the local newspapers twice and have heard nothing. Gifford was a no show for his last court appearance and that was about all I can find.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM

FRY ALL POACHERS!!! AND TAKE AWAY ALL HUNTING AND FISHING PRIVILAGES FOR THEM FOREVER!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
FRY ALL POACHERS!!! AND TAKE AWAY ALL HUNTING AND FISHING PRIVILAGES FOR THEM FOREVER!!!
x2 !
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
sheephunter

Kudos to the Journal for the slant they took on this piece. Seperating hunters from poachers is a big step for most reporters. Think I'll fire a letter off to the editor saying job well done.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
redgreen

Default Pyra Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
You're right, it is a start.

Anyone noticed that the trial for Gifford Fox and Bill Morton has gone earily quiet? I've emailed the local newspapers twice and have heard nothing. Gifford was a no show for his last court appearance and that was about all I can find.
Now that you mentioned it I haven't heard anything about the Pyra case either...has anyone heard anything?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
redgreen

Default Rocky Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Kudos to the Journal for the slant they took on this piece. Seperating hunters from poachers is a big step for most reporters. Think I'll fire a letter off to the editor saying job well done.
You are right there!!! All papers don't have the same accuracy though. The article the Rocky Mountaineer put in about the sheep shot and left by the Nordegg Ranger Station called the culprits "gun enthusiasts" and someone that "couldn't wait until hunting season started". Very irresponsible reporting and even after a multitude of complaints the editor refused to re-word his article. I guess he forgot where he lives....Alberta!!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM

That's why I read the Western Star instead of the Mountaineer when I lived there.

The thing that I thought was odd about the case in Valleyview is that the "accomplice" received a lifetime ban on hunting in Alberta and the main culprit only received a 12 year hunting ban.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Just wondering-did they lose their guns and I mean all of them and their truck/quad if they were driving one?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
That's why I read the Western Star instead of the Mountaineer when I lived there.

The thing that I thought was odd about the case in Valleyview is that the "accomplice" received a lifetime ban on hunting in Alberta and the main culprit only received a 12 year hunting ban.
The accomplice is from BC, so a hunting ban in Alberta probably has little merit.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I think a couple of things come into play on that -- first, there's the jail time, probation, and firearms ban on the main culprit; second, the accomplice doesn't live in Alberta, so presumable the lifetime ban on him has less of an effect on him than the 12-year ban on the Alberta resident.

Good coverage of this -- very well-presented story.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post

Its good to see the guys get what was coming but a lifetime ban,, well thats a little harsh. I know I am sure glad for not being crucified for all the mistakes I made as a youngster. Mind you I never lived a perfect life like some on this board obviously have..

Give me a break there saint would yah
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Kudos to the Journal for the slant they took on this piece. Separating hunters from poachers is a big step for most reporters. Think I'll fire a letter off to the editor saying job well done.
I felt the same way and shipped the fella off an email thanking him and appreciating the fact they were able to depict the difference between hunters and poachers.I think if other forum members do the same and feel appreciation for this here is the fellas email address.
hbrooymans@thejournal.canwest.com
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I think a couple of things come into play on that -- first, there's the jail time, probation, and firearms ban on the main culprit; second, the accomplice doesn't live in Alberta, so presumable the lifetime ban on him has less of an effect on him than the 12-year ban on the Alberta resident.

Good coverage of this -- very well-presented story.

Some provinces have reciprocal agreements for suspensions. So the suspension may follow him to BC.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I just did. The author emailed me back. I think the author did a gerat job on the article. Hope everyone sends him a thank you email. He chose his words properly and wrote a good article. Not something we are particularly used to ...

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-28-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Its good to see the guys get what was coming but a lifetime ban,, well thats a little harsh. I know I am sure glad for not being crucified for all the mistakes I made as a youngster. Mind you I never lived a perfect life like some on this board obviously have..

Give me a break there saint would yah
Lifetime ban is just perfect. What possible advantage is it to Alberta to have that useless pr*ck come back here and hunt???

It should extend to immigration and criminal offences too, in my view...... Lifetime ban from Canada.