Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Stray Horses

What are your opinions on stray horses, horses let loose to fend for themselves on crownland during the winter. In one of the areas I hunt one of are locals releases his horses every November. In 2006 I witnessed him pushing his string up a logging road with a pick up, the snow was deep that year and I would imagine he lost a few of them to winter kill. Last spring well quadding on May long weekend we seen him rounding them up. I was out doing some spring scouting and shed hunting last weekend and the horse sign was thick again this year. There was a guy charged in the Hinton area last winter for doing the same thing only his horses were along hwy16 and hwy40 causing a few vehicle collisions.

http://www.lis-alberta.com/news_room...CMP_020309.pdf
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM

It's a tough call but at one time the bush ranges supported 1000's of horses over the winter. However with modern fire suppression the feed is no longer there in many places. If there's feed for both, and it's aways from human conflict zones, I have no problem with it.

I guess they're not really strays though as they were herded there.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:29 PM

We've got a well known local, who likes to do the same, preferably in his neighbor's grazing lease. Answer is impound them and take em to the local auction mart. The resulting bill may destroy the economic sense of this little venture.
The biggest problem I have with Brian's views is that the next thing you know, Bob Henderson shows up and discovers another herd of "wild" horses and the whole world figures they must be protected.
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 05-25-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Personal horses have no business on crown land competing for forage with our wildlife.

They should be impounded under the stray livestock act and the owner billed for their capture and keep. If not claimed, they should be sold at auction to cover the costs of capture.

On the plus side, a wolf study in Alberta found that horses gave the wolves almost as good as they got (some wolves didn't survive the encounter). So there is a bright side.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
What are your opinions on stray horses, horses let loose to fend for themselves on crownland during the winter. In one of the areas I hunt one of are locals releases his horses every November. In 2006 I witnessed him pushing his string up a logging road with a pick up, the snow was deep that year and I would imagine he lost a few of them to winter kill. Last spring well quadding on May long weekend we seen him rounding them up. I was out doing some spring scouting and shed hunting last weekend and the horse sign was thick again this year. There was a guy charged in the Hinton area last winter for doing the same thing only his horses were along hwy16 and hwy40 causing a few vehicle collisions.

Dark Wing; Why wouldn't you call the Brand Inspector or the Ab. SPCA? You say that "I would imagine that he lost a few". Do you think he just might be responsable for that? It would bother me to think that some animals died suffering becuse I didn't report that. If you can't feed your animals than you shouldn't have them. I spent 14 springs working in the custom application of fertilizer. You would not believe what I have seen standing in pens out of sight behind the barn. Another good spot is in the far corner of the quarter (back forty)! Did I report them...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis40 View Post
Dark Wing; Why wouldn't you call the Brand Inspector or the Ab. SPCA? You say that "I would imagine that he lost a few". Do you think he just might be responsable for that? It would bother me to think that some animals died suffering becuse I didn't report that. If you can't feed your animals than you shouldn't have them. I spent 14 springs working in the custom application of fertilizer. You would not believe what I have seen standing in pens out of sight behind the barn. Another good spot is in the far corner of the quarter (back forty)! Did I report them...

Ovis it's no secret about his horses being out there and I agree that the owner should be responsible for feeding them threw the winter. If you drive 15km South of Grande Cache and look North up the Muskeg river valley on distant hill sides you can see them grazing in late winter and early spring. In 06 the horses were dumped off on the Smoky main line at km 8, the snow was so deep that horses just stayed at the road side for a few days. Eventually a couple got hit by trucks and the owner was contacted, he simply denied ownership of the horses and I don't think any more was said. I've hunted the area in the mid and late 80's when the late Eddie Jochim and Johnny McDonald had at least 50 head of horses wintering in the area and have hung up dozens of horse skulls in the trees over the years. Jochim and McDonald ended up selling that herd to the meat market and shortly after I started noticing more elk in the area.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Dark Wing and others

Horses ranging free have been part of Alberta's rich history since the 1800's. Outfitters and communities alike turned their horses loose to graze when they were not needed. The Coalbranch of Alberta is a good example of this practice which was necessary and very acceptable. However the world is constantly changing and due to industrial development that populated the eastern slopes and the resulting building of roads and the influx of workers driving on these new roads, a problem with horse/vehicle conflicts surfaced. The people using the land previously had to adjust to a major set back in their way of life. No longer could their horses be turned loose.

In the last 40 years less people have been turning their horses loose. What we see today is the last hold outs practicing their way of life. Eventually I believe this practice of turning horses loose will be non existent.

Bill Gosney and others like him will fade off into the sunset eventually, as we mortals all do. We will closing a rich chapter in the book of Alberta history. Bill is a colorful character, experienced outfitter/hunter, horseman, and is legendary. He was born 30 -40 years too late, still lives the old way, and has not made the adjustment required to fit in with our crowded modern society.

I make no excuses for the people that still practice their way of life. I understand their way of life and empathize with their problems that have been forced on them.

Personally I like seeing horses loose on the landscape. It is romantic and reminds me of better days and the rich history of Alberta.

Thanks,
Rafter
Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 PM

OK, I see where you are coming from now.

I to like to see the wild horses in the west country. What I don't like is hearing about someone not wanting their horse anymore and turning them loose to fend for themself.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
Dark Wing and others

Horses ranging free have been part of Alberta's rich history since the 1800's. Outfitters and communities alike turned their horses loose to graze when they were not needed. The Coalbranch of Alberta is a good example of this practice which was necessary and very acceptable. However the world is constantly changing and due to industrial development that populated the eastern slopes and the resulting building of roads and the influx of workers driving on these new roads, a problem with horse/vehicle conflicts surfaced. The people using the land previously had to adjust to a major set back in their way of life. No longer could their horses be turned loose.

In the last 40 years less people have been turning their horses loose. What we see today is the last hold outs practicing their way of life. Eventually I believe this practice of turning horses loose will be non existent.

Bill Gosney and others like him will fade off into the sunset eventually, as we mortals all do. We will closing a rich chapter in the book of Alberta history. Bill is a colorful character, experienced outfitter/hunter, horseman, and is legendary. He was born 30 -40 years too late, still lives the old way, and has not made the adjustment required to fit in with our crowded modern society.

I make no excuses for the people that still practice their way of life. I understand their way of life and empathize with their problems that have been forced on them.

Personally I like seeing horses loose on the landscape. It is romantic and reminds me of better days and the rich history of Alberta.

Thanks,
Rafter
Lots of things were done in the past. Doesn't mean that it works now. 60 years ago, some of these areas were very remote and not many people were around. With all weather roads, livestock on the roads present a grave safety risk. I would hate to have someone hit one of my horses one night and be killed, just so I can practice "the old ways".

IMO, if they are your horses, take care of them yourself!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Lots of things were done in the past. Doesn't mean that it works now. 60 years ago, some of these areas were very remote and not many people were around. With all weather roads, livestock on the roads present a grave safety risk. I would hate to have someone hit one of my horses one night and be killed, just so I can practice "the old ways".

IMO, if they are your horses, take care of them yourself!
AB2506,

Like I said, I make no excuses for people turning horses loose, I just empathize.

Interesting though is that horses are allowed to run loose in some parts of the Province. Example is the very busy Highway 11 west of Nordegg. The Government actually has signs indicating loose livestock. In that case it is driver beware and drive accordingly.

Thanks,
Rafter
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
AB2506,

Like I said, I make no excuses for people turning horses loose, I just empathize.

Interesting though is that horses are allowed to run loose in some parts of the Province. Example is the very busy Highway 11 west of Nordegg. The Government actually has signs indicating loose livestock. In that case it is driver beware and drive accordingly.

Thanks,
Rafter
At least some of those belong to the Natives. I always take extra care driving through the Eden Valley reserve, as well. Just a short stretch, but there always seem to be a couple, pastured in the ditch.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 05-27-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
AB2506,

Thanks,
Rafter

I empathize for the horses, being ridden hard all summer for commercial use and then being dumped out in the wild to winter. They could have at least been fattened up a little before release. The owner is a bit of an Icon in the industry so you would think he would take better care of his horses.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I empathize for the horses, being ridden hard all summer for commercial use and then being dumped out in the wild to winter. They could have at least been fattened up a little before release. The owner is a bit of an Icon in the industry so you would think he would take better care of his horses.
Dark Wing,

I totally agree with you. During my time outfitters that did not look after their animals were scorned by their peers. Horses on a commercial operation should always be in good working condition. Work a horse hard for two days always meant a rest day on the third. More rest if required. Horses were always put out on hobbles in good grass so they could keep their weight up. I have seen outfits after a seasons hard work come in with horses that are just as fat or fatter than when they went out and with better muscle development.

If you seen someone on the trail with skinny horses, it is just a reflection of a person with poor horsemanship skills. If it was an outfitter then it was a bad outfitter. Keep in mind that a bad outfitter is generally an exception rather than the rule.

Thanks,
Rafter
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28425

With a manditory registration of live stock going into effect this year maybe it will be the last year we'll see the horses out.