Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Default fibreglass boats question

We are looking at buying a new used boat and are considering a fibreglass. How hard is it to mount rod holders and a downrigger on a fibreglass boat? What special support would be needed? Also a bow mount trolling motor on an open bow boat? We are looking at a couple of Campion and Four winns boats right now.
Thanks for any help
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Not too tough at all

I've got a 215 Fishing Machine and I've put more stuff on this boat than I can count...mounting stuff on f/g is no problem. Make sure the surface is flat so that the bearing area is maximized. Depending on how heavy it is (like a downrigger for example) I'd suggest you sandwich the f/g with an aluminum backer plate on the opposite side (assuming you can reach the backside) this way the load is distributed over a larger area.

Of course, make sure any hole below the waterline is properly sealed (for stuff like kicker brackets). A leak below the waterline that went unattended for several year resulted in a new transom right after I bought my boat.

Zeke
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info. We are checking out a 19' aluminum this weekend too. All around the same price.