Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Tree Saddle

Anyone ever use one of these or know anyone that has?
http://www.trophylineusa.com/

Basically a harness that holds you to the tree, you 'sit' in the harness. Lightweight replacement for a treestand.

I passed it off before the season last year as looking too uncomfortable, but hunting with a buddy who likes to hunt in the mountains this year is making me reconsider.
Carrying in a big treestand was just too much trouble and this is just a harness so very lightweight. Bring in your climbing sticks and you should be able to hunt any tree.

I dont mind moving from tree to tree every couple hours to get the blood moving. and it looks like its a quick setup.
Its expensive at $200US but I dont want to go cheap on a safety harness 30 feet in the air.

Online reviews are mixed. Would seem to be a essential part of a bowhunter's toolbag but havent seen anyone with one yet.

any comments would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM

WOW...very cool Idea..I am gunna buy this...thats the best alternative to carrying a heavy treesatand with you in Elk country...wonder how quick it is to set up? Hmmm...very very cool concept.

Thanks for posting this Map Maker

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:41 PM

I heard they are uncomfortable. I made my own version by using a hammock and found it much more uncomfortable than a tree stand. I could only last 3 hours at the most. I had like a large swing range though to draw and aim the bow.

MEC sells climbing hardness that aren't $200, more like $60-$120.

I suppose if you wanted to get close to buck bedding area and wait the last hour before dark they would good. I still would not pay what this product wants. I'd buy a climbing harness from MEC and get some tree pegs (search for tree pegs from an old post from treeguy) ... and 2 screw in steps, that's about a light as its going to get.

I use the crowsnest tree stand - drill in a T-bolt and then hang my stand on that. I'm going to weld up a very small tree stand (that I could only stand on) and hide 'behind' the tree. This way I can stand on one leg for a while, then the next, and alternate. I'll be wearing my climbing harness and can swing and aim my bow all the along to my right side, just like the tree sadle, yet more comfortable. Better yet, if I 2 hooks drilled into the tree I could connect to one for sitting and use one for standing, but still have my feet on the small stand.

I can't stand climbing sticks - way to bulky. You can't go wrong with 10 metal screw in steps and a small stand IMO.

I've never tried the exact product though, but looking at the design they don't look too comfortable - 3 hours max for sure (depending on temperature). But with deer, if you have them patterned, you only need 20 minutes anyway.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

MEC sells climbing hardness that aren't $200, more like $60-$120.
Great Idea!!
$60 for a climbing harness at MEC with a centre chest tie-in point.
I owe you one for that.

Quote:
I can't stand climbing sticks - way to bulky. You can't go wrong with 10 metal screw in steps and a small stand IMO.
suprised you dont like the climbing sticks. look at the lone wolf ones, they are pretty compact. I can get up to 18' within 10 minutes and fit right in my backpack.
I cant stand screw in steps anymore. too slow.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
suprised you dont like the climbing sticks. look at the lone wolf ones, they are pretty compact. I can get up to 18' within 10 minutes and fit right in my backpack.
I cant stand screw in steps anymore. too slow.

I have to look at the lone wolf ones. Get a piece of pipe 4" long, and use it the drilll the steps in. I can be up in 10/15 minutes as well on the stand.

never the less sometime they annoy me when they don't grab.

I just looked at the climbing sticks - $110 for 18ft is not worth it for me. $30 for 20 ft is more my style.

I should also mention that those tree saddles might be 'better' at not cutting off your circulation when hanging (better than a climbing hardness at least). I doubt it thought.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 01-31-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 AM

LOL..I was thinking that..i have taken fall protection a few times and low and behold those harnesses are bad on your heart...the blood pressure gets wonky.....

I might stick with a light treestand and some screw ins...and a link of chain and a lock or 2.....can never be too careful

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

I just looked at the climbing sticks - $110 for 18ft is not worth it for me. $30 for 20 ft is more my style.

The initial price is steep for the lone wolf climbing stix at $110, but because they are the best and lightest, you can always sell them for at least $80. So in my mind they are only worth $30 (unless you lose them).

Quote: I only complain once when I buy quality.

Quote:
I might stick with a light treestand and some screw ins...and a link of chain and a lock or 2.....can never be too careful
i have a light stand now but always trying to go lighter so you can go farther.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Default True

Yeah I hear ya...I wish there was somwhere a guy could go try this outfit on...I mean if there are guys using them they cant be all that bad...

Hmmm...

If anyone trys this lemme know...

CP

Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Map Maker

Go to Bowsite.com search "sling" a great thread on the tree saddle and a few similar systems.

MM
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Sorry for the long time to respond, I'm just seeing this now.......

Let's just get the silly stuff over first, shall we.

Ummmm, don't wear boxers. You are going to need some 'support' down there. Seriously.

The other silly thing that comes to mind is that everytime I dress the Shrubs in their snow gear, inevitably, one of 'em says, "Dad, I gotta pee!". (THINK about it........)

More to come.........

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 02-01-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM

OK, $200 is cheap for a rig that looks that comfy. The last tree saddle I looked at was almost $600 (Canadian), and would not be a good arborist saddle or hunting saddle.

http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwida....e&cat=RSEQUOIA

I've tried it out and hate it which makes me sad as I was really wanting to buy one. Too comfy for a serious rock dude, and a working arborist would wear one out in a season or two.

*NOTE: Chopping stuff from a bucket does not an arborist make!

Tree

PS Trying to keep to short readable posts..........
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Alright, enough goofin' off.

They look pretty cool MapMaker. Probably pretty comfy also.

They are not something that I would consistantly use to hunt with. However, I can certainly see how well that they would work in very short term ( < 90 minute) situations.

ie Two man back country elk calling teams. Ideal rig. Gonna need some spikes to get up quick though..........Better option on a backpack trip for sure.

Regardless. Harnesses/Saddles suck. They highly compress your hip area. Reduced femoral artery flow can be a very real concern over prolonged times.

Most hip based center anchor setups will leave you upside down if knocked out. They are uncomfortable after about 7 minutes and I hang from a good rig and weigh in at 172lbs.

MapMaker, it looks like a very comfy rig for sure. I'd use it in deep country hardcore stuff with a calling partner. Could be very effective. Working the bowzones with it would be pointless though.

Tree
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Don't Buy a Climbing harness for hunting

Take a note from a guy who has done Tower work hanging off the side of a Skyscraper, fixing Cellphone Transmitters and Recievers, you do NOT want to sit in a cheap harness for hours on end.

Spend the Extra money and buy a full body tower harness Petzel is the best, do not cheap out and buy anything for under $200, if you end up buying a Black Diamond from MEC, you'll regret spending the 60-100 bucks cause you'll sit in it for an hour or two become extremely uncomfortable and end up tossing it in the back of a locker and you'll end buying something else, and now you've bought a couple items you don't use. When you could have paid for one awesome one.

Tower Harnesses are meant be sat in for long periods of time, but they are expensive mine is $450, but i don't use it for hunting. It's all preference, those Saddles look awesome, you just have to make sure you find the right fit, something thats comfortable. Here's a pic of my harness BTW, the pic is taken from BC Place Stadium After the Roof Collapsed in 2007.
n510763080_22144_8563.jpg
Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM

ATB, you should mention that your rig is worth $450 prior to the equlivant value of accesories attached..............not cheap. You know Jason from Canadian Arborist Supplies?

The last thing I can add is bring 3-4 screw in pegs. That way you can can use your legs to stand vertical now and then to help your body. The winds can pick up pretty strong and you do NOT want to be haning there like a piniata! You yeah, a waist laynard would help too.

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 02-01-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm old enough now to know to buy quality if your going to use it hard.
I still like the idea of buying a climbing harness seat and chest harness and modifying it to be comfy (no modification to the safety parts of course- just add a leather/hammock backing to the harness to distribute the load over the backside more)

Treeguy, did you see the strapon tree steps now that i can put 3-4 steps on one strap for a platform.

Anyways, 5 months of planning.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM

We have used a similiar set up for hunting for about 6 years now.... And have taken 7 bears and whitetail bucks aswell... The best thing about the sling is if you position 4 tree pegs around the tree you can shoot 360 o..... The only other thing you need to wear with the slings are knee pads...A set of gel knee pads are quietest and most comfortable.......I have modified the basic design a couple of time and can now sit up to 8 hours staying faily comfortable.... But I havn't sat in any tree stand that after 8 hours wouldn't feel some uncomfort.