Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 AM

Question Cross Bows???Info

I was just wondering, seeing as I dont know alot on the subject of crossbows. I have seen them before, they look like fun.

Whats the effective killing range of your basic average weight crossbow?
what is the most common boly weight/KE?

I was just curious due to a large number of people I know and see at some arch clubs getting into xbows...

ALSO has anyone heard of the Rytera Alien X compound bow??? wondering what that thing shoots like...apparently its the come all end all of archery equip...
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
ogopogoman

Crossbows are great for those that can't commit the time for Compound or
Trad Archery, or if someone has put their shoulder or back, out before, it's a great alternative. Or just because!..lol...they're fun and accurate.
You can shoot 50 yards with a scope on it pretty easy. Now the bolts drop alot quicker than an arrow from a compound, but it delivers alot of power.
Horton has some xbows that are good as well as Excalibur of course.
They are also great for late Archery season when the snow is heavy and it's cold as all heck, and your bulked up like the Michelin Man and don't want any contact with your arm shooting your compound.
I don't get into debates about weather they are considered "Archery" or not....that's just a futile arguement...lol..the reason I bring it up, is because you will hear crap...lol..there's always someone that chirps in about it...
I think they're fun, accurate and fine for any Archery season. I don't hunt with a Xbow, but would without a doubt. And I've shot alot of them. I just can't have too many toys...lol..
for weight they're not too bad, around 6'ish pounds. An Excaliber Exocet @200#, will go around 330 FPS

Last edited by ogopogoman; 01-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM

cool...I am not buying one...I just wondered. I will be compound and maybe some trad this year...Hopefully I can take a bear with Trad Equip...that'd be fun...

Ohh well what about the Rytera Alien X?
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
ogopogoman

wish i could help you with that one...i don't know much about them. Just what I've read on ArcheryTalk