Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Old traditional bow advice

Hello

I have been given an old fiberglass traditional bow from an elderly friend of mine. He claims to have taken deer and elk with it.

My question to you experience bow hunters is this: Is a "Big Cheif" bow a decent enough bow for hunting? Its aaround 65 inches long and seems to be quite powerful.

I can add photos if needed.

Stamped:
Ben Pearson
Strato-Jet Hunting
No. 339

Thanks for the Advice.

PS also need a new bow string and wonder if any are best for trad bows?

Last edited by shootermcgavin; 01-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 PM

Default Good Score!

Even better is that it's been proven in the field. This bow was produced in the late 50s to early 60s by Ben Pearson. I can't say what it's worth but pearson bows are legit. The AMO is 66 inches so a string suited for it can easily had. A dacron string should do it (no fast flight).

You can find some info out there at http://www.archeryarchives.com/

You should take into a bow shop to have a grizzled old pro give it a once over for warpage and defunct glass. Once you get a green light, get it set up and take a few shots with it. I'd wager you'll have a new level of respect for the skills of the original owner.

Congrats...

Knot
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Hello

I have been given an old fiberglass traditional bow from an elderly friend of mine. He claims to have taken deer and elk with it.

My question to you experience bow hunters is this: Is a "Big Cheif" bow a decent enough bow for hunting? Its aaround 65 inches long and seems to be quite powerful.

I can add photos if needed.

Stamped:
Ben Pearson
Strato-Jet Hunting
No. 339

Thanks for the Advice.

PS also need a new bow string and wonder if any are best for trad bows?
It has to be 40#@28" min to use it on big game. If it meets that criteria and you can shoot it well, then you're good to go. It should have the DW marked on it .........if not, take an arrow and put a piece of masking tape down the length of it. Mark the 28" point and make some more marks (i.e., 29, 28, 27, 26). Always measure an arrow from the throat of the knock where the knock meets the string. You'll need a scale hung on a strong point overhead. Knock the arrow on the string and place the string on the scale. Pull down on the grip until the 28" mark on your arrow aligns with the back of the riser. The scale will tell you the DW @ 28 inches. The other marks you put on the arrow will tell you what DW you have at your DL (i.e., 43#@29",40#@28", 38#@27", 36#@26", etc). Kind of hard to see/align the arrow length marks and the scale weight at the same time.........it's a two person job.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Knotter gave you a good link. Your bow is found there. Looks like the DW is somewhere between 40-55#.

Strato-Jet, 1957, No. 339, 66 inches
Recurve
40,45,55 Lb.
Molded plastic handle
$ ?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the advice guys...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Ca you reccomend a good bow shop to bring it into? Also where to pick up a decent string?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM

AWhere are you? According to the link your bow is AMO 66". You need a string that is marked AMO 66 or a custom made string that is 62 inches long.....a dacron string. Contact git-r-done archery in Calgary.....or you can shop around pro-shops for a ready-made AMO 66 dacron string. Confirm your bow/string length before you call/go shopping. Here is a link telling you how to arrive at your correct string length
Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 AM

The measurement link information is not correct.
AMO string length is 3" shorter than the marked AMO bow length for recurve and longbows.
A 66" AMO bow takes a 63 inch string. Longbow or recurve.
http://peteward.com/AMOStandards.pdf here is the AMO standard.
If the bow needs a diferent length string then it is not labeled corectly.
Measuring the actual old string is always the best way.

Pete
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM

Contact Sherwood Park Archery Lanes ( sorry no ph#) ask to speak to Nathan Cameron. He can make you a string for any bow. Has MANY medals for Archery won thru out Canada and the World,. His string jig would blow you away If you saw it.
By the way , get more than one string. You might fray or damage one and need a spare.
If you want I can call him and see if he wants his Ph. no given out.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauserman View Post
Contact Sherwood Park Archery Lanes ( sorry no ph#) ask to speak to Nathan Cameron. He can make you a string for any bow. Has MANY medals for Archery won thru out Canada and the World,. His string jig would blow you away If you saw it.
By the way , get more than one string. You might fray or damage one and need a spare.
If you want I can call him and see if he wants his Ph. no given out.
SPA ph 780 464 0017