Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I would expect to have a chat and see what your intentions were. After a short talk we could decide what to do.
Well if I am sitting there with a rifle, wouldn't my intentions be clear? What would we talk about? If I'm there first, I'm not going anywhere.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
No I am not

yes....you are....you sir need a lesson in ethics.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM

I sure am glad I own a tree saddle and don't have to deal with any of this.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I agree, you can not have a tree fort for more then 14 days. However the law posted has no relation to tree stands.
You're simply wrong Further, you can't leave your ground blind set up for more than 14days either.

You have a ton of people telling you you're wrong. The law is common knowledge. We both know you have googled this and youknow your wrong. The onus now is to provide proof you are right.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
No I am not
ummm yes you would be and if you can not see that you have metal problems and should seek counseling
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Normally I wouldn't use a treestand, it gets too cold for me or the knees get too stiff. I like walking more than sitting anyway. Don't bowhunt [yet] so the need to have one is reduced.

But I might pack one in to set up an unusually high platform for a few days, if it appeared there would be some rare visibility & range advantage at that spot. Pretty much rules out somebody else's 'permanent' structure though.

Wouldn't leave anything attached or laying around to get that far up the tree. I'd be impressed if I found somebody was so creative or well-prepared to get up there. But then I'd probably just inform that individual I was going to take my stuff down and take it home that day. Depending on the mood I was in & the weather, that would either mean right now, or at lunchtime after stalking around a bit.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You're simply wrong Further, you can't leave your ground blind set up for more than 14days either.

You have a ton of people telling you you're wrong. The law is common knowledge. We both know you have googled this and youknow your wrong. The onus now is to provide proof you are right.
produce the law then . I have looked for it and can not seem to find it. It all just seems like hearsay.

Everyone says the same thing, I said it to. But it seems to just be word of mouth, No one has actually produced a law stating it, They just hear it and go with it
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
ummm yes you would be and if you can not see that you have metal problems and should seek counseling
On what grounds? I am walking to my tree stand. What esrd officer will charge me for obstructing a hunt while on my way to or in my stand?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

In Libya they teach Woman have half a brain, Essentially a ton of people are saying it. Does that make them correct?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
On what grounds? I am walking to my tree stand. What esrd officer will charge me for obstructing a hunt while on my way to or in my stand?
No one would charge you with walking to a stand. If you started yelling at buddy to get out out of the tree then you are interfering with a hunt.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
No one would charge you with walking to a stand. If you started yelling at buddy to get out out of the tree then you are interfering with a hunt.
Would you be charged with asking someone to leave your stand?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
In Libya they teach Woman have half a brain, Essentially a ton of people are saying it. Does that make them correct?
This is not libya, and we are not arguing over the mental capacity of anyone....well, perhaps indirectly, we are...
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Perhaps.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
Perhaps.
On what grounds? I walked to my stand and asked you to leave. You have no case. If I showed up and starting banging drums or honking my horn then you would have an argument
Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It would depend on how you responded when he told you to take a hike.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
On what grounds? I walked to my stand and asked you to leave. You have no case. If I showed up and starting banging drums or honking my horn then you would have an argument

I do not need a case. Ethics dictate that if someone gets to a hunting spot before you, then you yield that spot to them. Banging drums, shouting, causing a disturbance of any kind is unethical, and unlawful.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned

I called ESRD Calgary. They did not have an answer as to the law pertaining to permanent tree stands . They were under the assumption me telling you to get out of the stand would not be interfering with a lawful hunt but will call me back with clear answers to both questions.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
It would depend on how you responded when he told you to take a hike.
Take a hike from my personal tree stand? That's what gets me here, Its not yours. Set up your own stand then you have a case.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Take a hike from my personal tree stand? That's what gets me here, Its not yours. Set up your own stand then you have a case.

Don't need to. If I am sitting underneath, you should keep on keepin on...If you see my truck parked at the entrance, you should keep on driving to the next spot.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't need to. If I am sitting underneath, you should keep on keepin on...If you see my truck parked at the entrance, you should keep on driving to the next spot.
If it looks like you are in the area I would move on. But access can be had from many ways, Had a guy walk up behind me two years ago deer hunting, Accessed the block from the back end so he had no way to know i was there. No fault on him.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
If it looks like you are in the area I would move on. But access can be had from many ways, Had a guy walk up behind me two years ago deer hunting, Accessed the block from the back end so he had no way to know i was there. No fault on him.
Ok then....I would do the same...If you were in a wooden stand that I had put up, I would still keep on going, cause I don't care, thats what they are there for anyway....
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok then....I would do the same...If you were in a wooden stand that I had put up, I would still keep on going, cause I don't care, thats what they are there for anyway....
I'd leave. Its not my stand, I paid nothing for it, Nor did I speak with the man who put it up for permission. I have no claim to it.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Wink

Quote:
I do not need a case. Ethics dictate that if someone gets to a hunting spot before you, then you yield that spot to them. Banging drums, shouting, causing a disturbance of any kind is unethical, and unlawful.
Ill tell ya something, ethics or not, it is unethical to sit in someones stand that is not belonging to you! So therefore, if you do not leave when asked then any outcome is fair, ruining a hunt, busting up a nose, its fair because the person IN the stand that is not THEIRS is not ethical... I dont understand what the debate is about?
Could always move locations if someone easily found the stand? That sounds like a better solution in my books... ha
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'd leave. Its not my stand, I paid nothing for it, Nor did I speak with the man who put it up for permission. I have no claim to it.
Thats your right...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDO View Post
Ill tell ya something, ethics or not, it is unethical to sit in someones stand that is not belonging to you! So therefore, if you do not leave when asked then any outcome is fair, ruining a hunt, busting up a nose, its fair because the person IN the stand that is not THEIRS is not ethical... I dont understand what the debate is about?
Could always move locations if someone easily found the stand? That sounds like a better solution in my books... ha

The debate is that you have no claim to a spot just because you build a fort there...And permanent wooden stands on public land become public property....after 14 days they are on borrowed time anyway. Besides, you don't own the tree that it is hanging in, so you really have no claim to it either.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned

Default ESRD Officer called back

There is no law pertaining to Tree stand longevity, You can leave it up for as long as you want with no penalty.

However, If you leave a stand in the bush then return and find someone in it, you CAN NOT ask them to leave, It is legally interrupting a hunt.

Seems I was legally wrong on the latter part.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The debate is that you have no claim to a spot just because you build a fort there...And permanent wooden stands on public land become public property....after 14 days they are on borrowed time anyway. Besides, you don't own the tree that it is hanging in, so you really have no claim to it either.
I GET all that, but who REALLY needs to sit in some strangers stand? They put the time in, they deserve the right to be there... public lands, well, if ya throw a stand in public lands you are willingly knowing that anything can happen: theft, sits etc
Its just a silly topic because my ethics are different than yours to his, to hers, to theirs...
let me know if someone gets an answer to this? ha
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDO View Post
I GET all that, but who REALLY needs to sit in some strangers stand? They put the time in, they deserve the right to be there... public lands, well, if ya throw a stand in public lands you are willingly knowing that anything can happen: theft, sits etc
Its just a silly topic because my ethics are different than yours to his, to hers, to theirs...
let me know if someone gets an answer to this? ha
Legally he is correct, Ethically he is not.

You put a stand up and he gets there first, You have no claim to the stand or the spot. Its bizarre.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
There is no law pertaining to Tree stand longevity, You can leave it up for as long as you want with no penalty.

However, If you leave a stand in the bush then return and find someone in it, you CAN NOT ask them to leave, It is legally interrupting a hunt.

Seems I was legally wrong on the latter part.
Shake hands. Good fight all. End thread.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Shake hands. Good fight all. End thread.
essentially yes it is. Ethic debates will never be won, However the legal questions have been answered.