One of two people involved would be responsible for a burt out headlight/
1 / the driver / owner of the car
2/ the cop

you figure it out...

Its Karma. Pay the $57 because the truth is... your headlight
was burnt out. Then go buy a lottery ticket and wait for
the results.

second thing.. when you install HID lights you dont set them
higher to **** off the rest of the world. The work on a diff.
part of the light spectrum and illuminate objects more.
Its about time the manufactures stop putting in Yellow dull
lights in a $60 car.

that being said.... many cars have their lights set wrong to begin
with . We just dont know because most cars have dull yellow bulbs.

if you dont stare at them... they dont blind you.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Well consider yourself lucky.Had you been in a Kenworth instead of a Kia(or whatever),you as a driver would of gotten the ticket and probably an "out of service"(OOS).(As the owner of the truck,they would of had points against thier carrier profile and after so many points they would of gotten audited.If they never cleaned up their act and got some more they would eventually get shut down).Meanwhile the RC is writing your ticket/warning up and your friendly neighbor hood DOT happens to drive up.
DOT"Well what do we have here?"
RCMP"Burnt out headlight"
DOT"Well I better check out the rest of the truck then"and out comes the creeper and now you are sitting here for a few hours while he does his best to rack up a few more OOS points for you.Sounds like fun don't it.The driver is entitled to do a pre/post check of his unit as well as at intervals through out the day.Very seldom does "oh it was good when I left ever get you very far."
It may have been that way,but you have to remember that the officers hear that many times a day,as well as a few hundred different excuses
Isn't that the truth. Had a conversation with a DOT officer after they had a checkstop here in Lethbridge. The newspaper told the number of tickets handed out but not for the offenses they were for. Gave a suggestion that the offenses should be listed so that owners of non-commerical vehicles could see what we get ticketed for and the laws that they are breaking and could be getting away with. Also would show that if private vehicles were checked to the same standard there would be private vehicles shut down for lack of safety. We have to get our trucks and trailers checked yearly, one of the times a safety might have to be done on a private vehicle is a change of ownership of over a 12 year old vehicle the rest of the time it is deemed safe. Be happy you aren't judged to the same standards as commerical vehicles, we would need a lot more mechanics.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
We have to get our trucks and trailers checked yearly..........
Unless they changed it your Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) stickers expire every 3 months? If they notice an expired sticker when you are going through the scales they could direct you to the maintenance building for an on-the-spot inspection. If you pass you get a new sticker but if something is picked up you have to get it repaired on the spot before a new CVSA sticker is issued. This is a standard for Canada, USA and Mexico.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Part of driving on public roads is to do what you can to maintain the vehicle and save your own as.s.

That means carrying all types of bulbs in the vehicle for immediate replacement if necessary, as well as walking around the vehicle and doing a check before driving every time. That even includes after just stopping at the post office to drop off a letter too.
Which does you no good if you are driving down the highway for hours and are pulled over for a burned out headlight that was working when you left.With some lighting conditions,you might not even be aware that the headlight is burned out.You likely won't even know if a tailight burned out as you were driving.Even if you realized that a light burned out as you were driving, in some traffic conditions, you are not going to pull over immediately to change a bulb, because it would be dangerous to do so. I have seen police vehicles driving around with a headlight or tailight out, so why should we be expected to immediately know that a light is burned out, and immediately pull over and replace it?
Sure we should make an effort to keep our vehicles in proper working order, but you can prepare as much as you like, and still end up driving for a period with a burned out light.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM

There are two types of inspections, one done by a licensed mechanic and one that is done roadside/scale by the DOT. The one done by the mechanic is good for 1 year and has to be redone yearly. The one done by the DOT is good for 3 months and does not have to be redone till the DOT stops you and does another roadside/scale inspection. I know of drivers that get the DOT to inspect their trucks/trailers every 3 months just so that they don't have to go through roadside/scale inspecton. You could get the yearly inspection done today and tomorrow the DOT could pull you over and do a roadside inspection. If you passed that inspection then you'd get a sticker and then if you got pulled into another inspection site they would give you a pass for 3 months.
CVSA:Alberta is a member of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), as are the other provinces and territories in Canada, the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico. CVSA offers a uniform methodology for inspecting large vehicles and a criteria under which unsafe vehicles and drivers are removed from the road. Vehicles passing the CVSA inspection are given a decal which is recognized by all member jurisdictions for 3 months after the inspection.
CVI:A network of private facilities are licensed by the Vehicle Safety Section to conduct inspections under the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program. Registered owners are responsible for ensuring that each bus, truck, light truck or trailer owned by them receives the required inspection. Trucks, truck-tractors, light trucks, trailers, and semi-trailers with a combined weight of 11,794 kilograms must be inspected annually. As well, all registered buses designed to carry more than 10 passengers, including the driver, must be inspected semi-annually.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

I got a 403 stunting ticket and i didnt pay a tinted windows ticket and a seatbelt ticket the stunting was cause a bi law officer siad i gave him the finger. i went to court to fight them the total for tickets was 610 bucks i went in and they looked at all the tickets and threw them out i was in court for less then five mins
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Coorslight I wouldn't have posted that. Now all you're going to hear is how the you should have just bent over and taken it. The law is the law and its always right you know!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM

It would be truly amusing to see non-commercial inspections come out. Be some seriously upset people when it came to exhaust regs violations, likely quite a few on bumper heights. It still won't get the 70klickers off Deerfoot though.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM

how high is an illegal bumper? dodnt even know that was illegal
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Well how about this warning

I went through a checkstop last weekend located west of Slave Lake. While getting my paperwork in order, the RCMP told me that he was warning me that the Alberta Sherrifs would give me a $400 fine for having expired insurance and registration papers anywhere in my vehicle. He noticed the old one that were underneath the new ones in the plastic folder. He told me that if I presented them to them I would gain a nice fine. I expressed that I did not present them to him as I took the new ones out of the folder and handed over the new ones only and he told me that I did present them to him. Ya whatever!

Anyways, I understand the issues that LEO have with people trying to pass off expired paperwork, however this is not what I did or attempted to do. $400 worth of tax for the purpose of what is the question? What injustice did we save everyone with by passing a law that allows them to fine me $400 for having old paperwork in my vehicle???

Greg
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
I went through a checkstop last weekend located west of Slave Lake. While getting my paperwork in order, the RCMP told me that he was warning me that the Alberta Sherrifs would give me a $400 fine for having expired insurance and registration papers anywhere in my vehicle. He noticed the old one that were underneath the new ones in the plastic folder. He told me that if I presented them to them I would gain a nice fine. I expressed that I did not present them to him as I took the new ones out of the folder and handed over the new ones only and he told me that I did present them to him. Ya whatever!

Anyways, I understand the issues that LEO have with people trying to pass off expired paperwork, however this is not what I did or attempted to do. $400 worth of tax for the purpose of what is the question? What injustice did we save everyone with by passing a law that allows them to fine me $400 for having old paperwork in my vehicle???

Greg
I was told something very similar when I got a speeding ticket near Hanna. I gave him the mini AMA doc holder, and it had 6 old insurance, and 3 old registration documents. Warned me he could have given me a fine for each one (9 fines!). Just feigned surprise, took my speeding ticket, closed the window, beamed a big toothy smile and told him to **** off under my breath through my teeth.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
While getting my paperwork in order, the RCMP told me that he was warning me that the Alberta Sherrifs would give me a $400 fine for having expired insurance and registration papers anywhere in my vehicle.
Quote:
I was told something very similar when I got a speeding ticket near Hanna. I gave him the mini AMA doc holder, and it had 6 old insurance, and 3 old registration documents. Warned me he could have given me a fine for each one (9 fines!).
Who makes such stupid laws?Why should someone care if I have an expired document,as long as I have the current documents in the vehicle to present to an officer?It is stupidity such as this that lead to mistrust of the entire system by the general public.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Its amusing the same people trolling that have nothing better to do than trash talk the police every chance they get.

Quit whining about every single law and whether or not u agree with it. Point is it's an offense to produce expired documents. Why trash the cop cuz ur too lazy to toss the 12 year old pink cards. Good grief
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post

Greg

Sounds like you are a bit of a loose cannon.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Its amusing the same people trolling that have nothing better to do than trash talk the police every chance they get.

Quit whining about every single law and whether or not u agree with it. Point is it's an offense to produce expired documents. Why trash the cop cuz ur too lazy to toss the 12 year old pink cards. Good grief

You nailed it. Quit complaining and questioning stuff. You could get a boot in the face or a stick to the chin, or a couple bites from Rin Tin Tin.

Now there's a law that tells me where to store my records of insurance. Wow! how many lives were saved when that law was enacted.
I'll just get my soother and curl up in the fetal position feeling all warm and safe knowing that the crimefighters are out there just given'er.

It's a stupid law.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I always put the new paperwork in the vehicle before the old paperwork expires,so I don't forget to exchange them on the exact day that the old card expires.Why should that be an offense?I don't have three of four expired pieces of paperwork in the vehicle.It sounds like just one more way to take money from the public for no good reason.

Quote:
While getting my paperwork in order, the RCMP told me that he was warning me that the Alberta Sherrifs would give me a $400 fine for having expired insurance and registration papers anywhere in my vehicle.
So what if an old document falls on the floor and you don't notice it when you change out the documents into your document holder?It's not like a person was trying to pass off expired documents as being valid.

Quote:
You nailed it. Quit complaining and questioning stuff. You could get a boot in the face or a stick to the chin, or a couple bites from Rin Tin Tin.
Seeing the recordings that keep surfacing does make a person wonder how such things can happen in a supposedly free country.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Now there's a law that tells me where to store my records of insurance. Wow! how many lives were saved when that law was enacted.
I'll just get my soother and curl up in the fetal position feeling all warm and safe knowing that the crimefighters are out there just given'er.

It's a stupid law.
Post of the month!!

Maybe they should threaten you with a firearm to the 'nads too? Just because they can!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM

The police are supposed to enforce all laws/acts. Not just the ones internet forum users think are important. The officer didn't draft the expired registration section and chances are he thinks it is every bit as foolish as you do.