Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Ready for the freezer
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Sure looks good. How long will it keep for? Seems the sausage I have only stays for 4 months or so then then pork seems to go rancid.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Sure looks good. How long will it keep for? Seems the sausage I have only stays for 4 months or so then then pork seems to go rancid.
I experience the same thing. I started cutting with beef instead of pork and it lasts past a year now.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Is bratwurst a sausage you have to cook after it comes out of the freezer? Or is that sausage ready to eat?

My two buddies and I have done both cooked, ready to eat, and the type that you cook after it comes out of the freezer, but our largest batch was 120 #, Holy ape shirt, 1100 lbs is crazy. Of course it sounds like you have the set up for it.

Nice job.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
We have kept some for over 2 years and it's fine, if you vacuum seal it the air is gone and the pork lasts longer.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Sausage fest? Lol

:
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Is bratwurst a sausage you have to cook after it comes out of the freezer? Or is that sausage ready to eat?

My two buddies and I have done both cooked, ready to eat, and the type that you cook after it comes out of the freezer, but our largest batch was 120 #, Holy ape shirt, 1100 lbs is crazy. Of course it sounds like you have the set up for it.

Nice job.
Yeah ours is braughtwurst, we smoke it at a low temp to add flavour, we have to cook it after.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 AM

What cuts of pork do you use?

How long do you smoke it, or how would one be able to tell it's been smoked long enough.

Nice family tradition you have going there!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
What cuts of pork do you use?

How long do you smoke it, or how would one be able to tell it's been smoked long enough.

Nice family tradition you have going there!
We use the whole sow, wild meat is so lean that you have to add all the fatty parts of the hog or else it gets to dry, on leaner hogs we sometime have to add more fat. Generally we use an old sow who has been on good feed for 3-4 months, that seems to make the fat/meat ratio just right. We smoke ours for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 155-165 degrees. You smoke for taste, when it gets nice and red is how we like it, your better off to have not quite enough smoke than to much though.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
We use the whole sow, wild meat is so lean that you have to add all the fatty parts of the hog or else it gets to dry, on leaner hogs we sometime have to add more fat. Generally we use an old sow who has been on good feed for 3-4 months, that seems to make the fat/meat ratio just right. We smoke ours for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 155-165 degrees. You smoke for taste, when it gets nice and red is how we like it, your better off to have not quite enough smoke than to much though.
Are you using a cure, what is the internal temp when done.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Sausage

I like the way home made sausage goes with everything outdoors, and indoors too, nice job and nice pics
Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Are you using a cure, what is the internal temp when done.
We used to use fs cure, but we have trouble finding it so we now use Prague powder. To tell you the truth we have never taken the internal temperature when it leaves the smokehouse.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

I forgot the most important picture.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 PM

Good god that looks good.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Good god that looks good.
Oh it is, although I can't eat any right now. I must of ate 30 pounds on the weekend, the look of it revolts me right now, a steady diet on the weekend of sausage and great uncles special brew makes me want to eat vegetables for the rest of this week, boy was it fun though!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Oh it is, although I can't eat any right now. I must of ate 30 pounds on the weekend, the look of it revolts me right now, a steady diet on the weekend of sausage and great uncles special brew makes me want to eat vegetables for the rest of this week, boy was it fun though!!!
Lol I don't doubt that. Probably got neighbors licking their chops for miles around.
After you're done smoking do you dunk in water?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Lol I don't doubt that. Probably got neighbors licking their chops for miles around.
After you're done smoking do you dunk in water?
Nope, we just let it cool on racks outside before we wrap it. I believe when you make garlic sausage there is some sort of water process, it is really a fun time, getting together with family and hunting buddies making the good old family recipe. I worked out the cost of the whole process including the hogs the vacuum bags and spices, basically everything but the hunting costs. I came up with the best sausage in the world in my opinion with a cost of $1.63 a pound.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Pretty reasonable I think. At least you know what your getting to
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM

Yup 1.63 add hunting costs priceless lol
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Fantastic

Wow I did a couple hundred pounds this year, I thought that was alot, looks great from start to finish!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherbuck2 View Post
Wow I did a couple hundred pounds this year, I thought that was alot, looks great from start to finish!
About 10 years back we had a disaster when our camp was super successful and harvested 5 moose 2 elk and a handful of deer, we set a record that year and made 2150 pounds of sausage, now that was a weekend!!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
About 10 years back we had a disaster when our camp was super successful and harvested 5 moose 2 elk and a handful of deer, we set a record that year and made 2150 pounds of sausage, now that was a weekend!!!!
OMG!!! A ton of sausage!!! Can't even imagine what that would look like!! You guys must have had your fill of sausage that year!!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
OMG!!! A ton of sausage!!! Can't even imagine what that would look like!! You guys must have had your fill of sausage that year!!
Yeah lots and lots of sausage!!!! It's one of those foods you never get sick of, breakfast, lunch or supper, the best is leftovers in a bun for lunch the next day.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the great photos and information. I enjoy hearing stories from others who have been practicing outdoor activities for generations. It seems like your family does the whole gamit from harvesting the animal to butcher and then processing. I would be suprised if you guys were not reloaders as well. If you ever decide to share the secret recipe I am sure it would be put to use LOL. I also come from a large family and recall these type of weekends although we did not have the ability to do the smoking. I have many fond memories of getting together for the butchering and packing of whatever came our way.
Thanks again.