Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Who uses hearing protection out hunting?

Just throwing it out there who is using hearing protection while hunting? I started doing this over 10 years ago now and have adopted it as part of my regular hunting kit. First started using banded hear plugs specially the Honeywell quiet bands they worked fine, quick to put on and fairly good noise reduction rating 25db, but when shooting a high powered rifle one should really be using double protection ear plugs and ear muffs. Still better than nothing. Upgraded to 3M hear muffs because they offer a better NRR 32db. For my type of hunting I rely heavily on my hearing. Usually I’m in a ground blind in heavy timber calling game or spot and stalk down cutlines, so in most situations I have time to put on hearing protection before taking a shot.

Just wanted to know if anyone else is using hearing protection out hunting and if anyone has any experience using noise canceling hearing protection eg. Walkers game hear?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Just throwing it out there who is using hearing protection while hunting? I started doing this over 10 years ago now and have adopted it as part of my regular hunting kit. First started using banded hear plugs specially the Honeywell quiet bands they worked fine, quick to put on and fairly good noise reduction rating 25db, but when shooting a high powered rifle one should really be using double protection ear plugs and ear muffs. Still better than nothing. Upgraded to 3M hear muffs because they offer a better NRR 32db. For my type of hunting I rely heavily on my hearing. Usually I’m in a ground blind in heavy timber calling game or spot and stalk down cutlines, so in most situations I have time to put on hearing protection before taking a shot.

Just wanted to know if anyone else is using hearing protection out hunting and if anyone has any experience using noise canceling hearing protection eg. Walkers game hear?
I use the Walkers ones. I usually have them on my head but not over my ears until it's time to shoot, because I've found that in situations where hearing in detail is important, the sound quality through the microphones isn't quite what it needs to be. Maybe higher-quality ones would solve this issue.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Been using electronic muffs for years. They protect what hearing is left, amplify quiet sounds and keep you ears warm.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Using electronic muffs, always protect my hearing.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM

I used 3 shells in rapid succession in 2018 from my 308 and my hearing, while still good, has deteriorated. Even during the gutting my ears were ringing.

This year I had a set of sponge-style plugs tied to a string which I slipped in prior to shooting my deer. Glad I did that and will do so from now on.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:57 PM

You bet started with the Walker muffs 2 years ago and love them for geese and ducks. Was using plugs before that. My kids have been brought up to wear hearing protection and we wont shoot without it. Cant believe we went without for so long but never again.

HT
Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Usually not. When I'm with my friends that hunt with rifles that have brakes, you bet I do. Still not sure why you need a brake on 6.5 Credmoor...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 PM

If you're hunting, why disable one of your most important senses, especially if you have to concerned about apex predators that might be after your hide ? Not like you're doing this daily and often.

Grizz
Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 PM

I use the walkers, I turn up the volume on them and dont feel like I am missing anything, actually I hear better with them...

I know we arent doing this often or a tonne.... but every shot is damaging and it doesnt grow back. It adds up, unless you never tag out. lol
Old 12-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Not while hunting but always when shooting. I especially use plugs for gophers too. My hearing always tests fine.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 12-06-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:04 PM

I do now...wish I had started earlier. Between a rupture on a plane descent when I was a kid, loud engines and shooting I did some serious damage.

Always, always double up at the range.

For hunting: Highest dB protection muffs I could find, keep them on my head above my ears until it’s time to shoot. Do it all year hunting squirrels so it’s muscle memory now, less than a second. I’d rather miss a shot opportunity than do any more damage.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:14 PM

absolutely, I have a set of the soft disposable plugs hanging around my neck all the time while hunting, only takes about a few seconds to pop them in your ears, my hearing is bad enough without muzzle blast yet, especially my 300 RUM with the brake on it, I have a set of custom ear plugs that I wear while trap shooting, they are much better but take to long to put in as they are molded to the inner ear canal and have to be wet before putting them in, plus if I lost them I would cry at $200 a pair..........

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:27 PM

What? you have an ear ring infection?
Old 12-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Banned

I have a couple different sets of electronics. I wore them in the field this season. I had them on for every shot, except one. I use them even for the 22's. From work I already have hearing loss. Most of us having more hearing loss in the left ear already. According to my last occupational hearing examiner, it's due to driving with windows down, especially at highway speeds. I have made it a habit to wear them at work more often as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Use 3m electronic hearing protection whilst shotgun shooting, but we are able to use sound moderators here, so no need whilst after deer.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Absolutely, I already have so much hearing loss I wear hearing aids. For the range and hunting, the MSA Sordin Pro X Supreme with gel ear cups. Very comfortable with good protection, excellent electronics. I hear better with them on than off. They are pricey, but a lot cheaper than hearing aids and the social difficulties that hearing loss entails.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 PM

I wear soft plugs when bird hunting. Started wearing them when I started bringing my son out and had him wear the big muffs. So stupid that growing up we never wore them while bird hunting. Hundreds of shots from the 12 gauge with no protection throughout the years.

I don’t wear protection when big game hunting though I probably should.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:09 PM

the best for electronic hearing protection is custom molded plugs to fit your specific ears. sadly im quite irresponsible and keep losing the dang things so for coyote calling and everyday hunting i keep a pair of impact sports perched on my head. when a coyote is spotted i just slide em over my ears and they work great

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-06-2019, 09:23 PM

always wear them when at the range practicing, however the one or two shots I take while hunting I don't. I should as my 270WSM is bloody LOUD! However I also notice in the "moment" of taking a shot, the auditory exclusion muffles the report. Learned a bit late to protect my hearing. Between the military and loud music i have Tinnitus and fully expect to have hearing loss in my future.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:27 PM

I wear in ear electronics. Stealth pro I believe is the brand at the range I wear electronic muffs.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Normally not when hunting, got a couple rifles that I won’t ever shoot without plugs. Been looking at the electronic ones but not a fan of the full size muffs, anyone use the earbud style?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 PM

I have the stealth pro ones. I like them. For the 100$ they cost they have pretty good quality sound.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Banned

Still having perfect hearing, but always wear protection when at the range, or plinking. Never while hunting. Love hearing the nature around me.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 PM

Default No

....don’t even hear the shot when I’m hunting big game when the rifle goes off.I assume that’s the adrenaline pumping...waterfowl hunting earplugs go in though.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:33 PM

Always. On backcountry trips I often just bring foam plugs but for day trips and birds I have a pair of rangeguards.

Sucks when you can’t hear as well in the moments before the shot, but better than not hearing all the moments for the rest of your life.

Dad and grandpa were deaf from shooting. No thanks.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 PM

I use hearing protection , so used to it now I can have it on in short order before I shoot. I do not like running my chainsaw without them now or riding mower either.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Default For sure

I always have and as my hearing isn’t getting better I always will. At least ear plugs and usually the electronic ear muffs.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:01 PM

I work in the trades, it’s second nature to were hearing protection. Even so my hearing has been on the decline noticeably for the past 10 years. The industrial accident I was involved in about 7 years ago didn’t help it was a kin to having a full power rifle blast going off right next to your hear, even with ear plugs it was still enough to cause permanent hearing damage. So it’s in my best interest to protect what hearing I have left.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Usually not. When I'm with my friends that hunt with rifles that have brakes, you bet I do. Still not sure why you need a brake on 6.5 Credmoor...
This makes me question your choice of hunting partners
Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This makes me question your choice of hunting partners
True, not sure why anyone needs a brake on a hunting rifle. Haha

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk