Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Venison shoulders.

These appendages were never a favourite. Not much meat, too much connective tissue. What a pain for very little gain. Then I discovered blade roasts. Bone in, two per side and man are they moist and tender when slow cooked. Im a shoulder shooter by choice, but now I’m a little more careful. :-)

What do you do with shoulders?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Cutting

Got it off of You Tube for the cutting. Interesting and will have to try it.

Right now I bone them out and use the pieces either for sausage or for the cut up pieces for stroganoff.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 12-05-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 PM

When I shoot WT or Mule deer I am trying to be couple of inches behind of the shoulder as it is the most desirable part of what I am I am after for .
I don't care if the bullet hits a bit behind in the liver and sometimes guts .
It happens some times and I accept it .
But I will always try to make my shot to be as carefull as possible ,for not destroying the front shoulders meat.
I enjoy it as a party roast meal.
S12

Last edited by shooter12; 12-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 PM

Ground for pepperoni and or jerky along with the rest of the deer.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 PM

That’s where the flat iron steak is..
Old 12-05-2019, 10:04 PM

i save them from stroganoff as said above.

or pan fried in cast iron and finished in the oven.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:06 PM

We eat a lot of burger here in sauces, meatballs etc. My standard deer cuts are steaks from the backstraps, 6 roast from hinds, the rest ground.

The burger is usually gone first. The rest in bbq season.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 PM

I don't shoot shoulders as a rule. Low lung/heart and I get they don't go down like a shoulder shot but like you say, deer shoulders are slim on meat...…..that is why I don't shoot them up if at all possible. I debone and grind front quarters on deer
Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 PM

I BBQ those Flat iron steaks every single time, a family favorite for the first meal after a successful harvest. The rest of the quarter is excellent sausage trim. All the bones are each cut in half and made into broth.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 PM

My hunting partner down south always insists that I leave my deer with him to butcher because he really enjoys it ) and dies a really professional job!) and he does up blade roasts from the shoulders as well.
Cat
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 PM

X Rib roast.

LC
Old 12-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Banned

Looks tasty
Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 AM

As others suggested the grinder is a common destination for shoulders. Sausage, burger, etc. The connective tissue is a benefit for these preparations because it helps the proteins bind together.

Besides that I usually slow cook or can the meat. Again the point is to break down the bits that are less fun to chew while emphasising the flavour without letting it dry out.

For stroganoff I use the tenderloin or backstrap. Never heard of it with a tough cut before.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 AM

A corned venison shoulder is also nice. Pretty much just a corned beef recipe using boneless deer shoulder. Brine for 5 or 6 days and then cooked for 4 or 5 hours.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-06-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 AM

Default shoulders

The only time I shoulder shoot on purpose is on an evening sit especially if there is no snow to track.A double shoulder hit deer at last light is going nowhere but down.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
As others suggested the grinder is a common destination for shoulders. Sausage, burger, etc. The connective tissue is a benefit for these preparations because it helps the proteins bind together.

Besides that I usually slow cook or can the meat. Again the point is to break down the bits that are less fun to chew while emphasising the flavour without letting it dry out.

For stroganoff I use the tenderloin or backstrap. Never heard of it with a tough cut before.
The tasteless silverskin tissues have nothing to do with binding the meat in meal prep. Unless you mean something else by connective tissues... The proteins in the meat cells themselves do the binding.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
These appendages were never a favourite. Not much meat, too much connective tissue. What a pain for very little gain. Then I discovered blade roasts. Bone in, two per side and man are they moist and tender when slow cooked. Im a shoulder shooter by choice, but now I’m a little more careful. :-)

I do the same as you. It's a wonderful roast. Bone in neck roast has also become one of my favorites. I always used to just grind the neck.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 12-06-2019, 08:19 AM

After years of mostly grinding the front shoulders on deer, I too 'discovered' slow cooker blade roasts a couple years back. Completely changed how we process a deer.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM

I will be giving this a try on future deer as a result of this thread. Thanks fellas.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:31 AM

I always cut those out as chunks for stewing or chili, My brother calls it "mock Tenderloin"
Old 12-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I will be giving this a try on future deer as a result of this thread. Thanks fellas.
X2
Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Yep, bone in blade roasts here as well, slow cooker overnight with onions and spices. Then shred it, make burritos, tacos, melts, or just eat it with bbq sauce.

After the tenderloins, it’s the first thing we eat. Not a huge fan of pot roasts from the hind quarters so I’ll cut a shank in half and throw it in with a roast and cook those the same way, and get the same result. Some bone marrow and gelatin from the silver skin go a long way to making it much better.

If I have to take apart a shoulder to deal with blood clots or damage, I end up wrapping it back around the bone to cook the same way. If it won’t work, grind it, ground meat is very versatile as well

No right or wrong way, it’s all personal preference.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I owe my youngest son and Steve Rinella for introducing me to venison blade roasts. My kid was reading Rinella's book- Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game- saw the recipe in Vol. 1, Pg 336, and informed me he really wanted to try it when he got his first deer. I was sceptical, but happy to oblige when he was finally successful. Still one of our favorite blade roast recipes.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
The tasteless silverskin tissues have nothing to do with binding the meat in meal prep. Unless you mean something else by connective tissues... The proteins in the meat cells themselves do the binding.
Always eager to correct my misunderstandings I did some more research. This tissue is made of collagen, and collagen behaves differently from muscle tissue in sausage making. Whether this is an actual benefit or not is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contributions of Collagen to the Properties of Comminuted and Restructured Meat Products by Richard C. Whiting
Collagen plays a major role in the texture of meat and meat products. In intact muscle, it provides the background toughness and the texture of the fiber bundles. In meat products, its effect depends on the degree of comminution and extent of gelatinization during cooking. It also contributes to the nutritional value, flavor and succulence of meats.
Collagen content, therefore, affects a meat product's yield, texture and stability (Jones, 1984). At low levels, collagen may be advantageous in stabilizing shrinkage and improving texture [emphasis added]
This gels with my previous understanding of the matter, so if you can explain how it has no effect I'm always trying to get rid of false knowledge and acquire true knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if the practical effect is minimal for the home processor, but I'm not about to start removing the stuff.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Slow cooked blade roast or stew is my favorite way to cook deer now! Hot it off meat eater. I usually marinate any kind of steaks for deer and they turn out fantastic!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
I do the same as you. It's a wonderful roast. Bone in neck roast has also become one of my favorites. I always used to just grind the neck.
Kinda the same but bone out and tied.
I have never understood the want to shoot a critter your going to eat in the shoulder.
Double lung through the ribs as a rule.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
Always eager to correct my misunderstandings I did some more research. This tissue is made of collagen, and collagen behaves differently from muscle tissue in sausage making. Whether this is an actual benefit or not is another matter.

This gels with my previous understanding of the matter, so if you can explain how it has no effect I'm always trying to get rid of false knowledge and acquire true knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if the practical effect is minimal for the home processor, but I'm not about to start removing the stuff.
The collagen would have an effect on the texture, and if that texture is something you like, then do it, its your meat. But the chemical reaction that holds the meat together, is in the meat cells when they are mixed with water (100 to 200 ml per kg meat) and salt (15 to 18 grams per kg meat), at a cool temperature, below 7*C, and then agitated.

http://www.fao.org/3/x6556e/X6556E02.htm

Superior sausage-making properties of hot boned beef.

Meat, removed from the carcasses of bulls immediately after slaughter (within 1 to 2 hours), has long been appreciated in traditional European sausage production. Experience has shown that using such prerigor boned bull beef in meat emulsion can be a tremendous advantage resulting in a product of superior water binding and emulsifying properties with improved flavour, texture and stability of the finished product (Fig. 16). The reason for better binding and emulsifying characteristics of prerigor meat lies in the extraction of salt-soluble proteins (actin and myosin) before they combine to form nonextractable actomyosin causing the onset of rigor mortis. The addition of 2 percent of salt to prerigor beef results in the absence of rigor mortis, an increase of extractable proteins and enhanced water binding and emulsifying properties compared with conventionally chilled meat which has gone into rigor without the addition of salt. The maintenance of superior functional properties of prerigor meat requires either its salting or rapid freezing and its use without thawing or freeze-drying after salting.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Bone in roasts for sure! I'll skin it then just chop the front quarters up with a hack saw basically. The shoulder blade usually makes 2 roasts and the joint on the bottom of the shoulder blade makes for an excellent slow cooked roast as well. Those are probably my favorite cuts off the deer all things considered.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Looks good Chuck!

Little known fact. When you super slow cook with silver skin (fascia) on, it liquifies (rendering into fat essentially) and really adds to the quality of the stock it’s simmering in. I leave mine on (for the most part) with osso buco and shoulder roasts. Lean cuts are inferior roasts. This also creates less work at the butchering stage.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtenkink View Post
Bone in roasts for sure! I'll skin it then just chop the front quarters up with a hack saw basically. The shoulder blade usually makes 2 roasts and the joint on the bottom of the shoulder blade makes for an excellent slow cooked roast as well. Those are probably my favorite cuts off the deer all things considered.
Bingo. Me too