Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Poacher Trapping/Snaring

Was out there yesterday shooting coyotes for some ranchers east of Westlock and was told that 2 dogs were almost lost last year, on private property, due to neck snares. The owner was able to find them after 3 days missing, in the snares.

Shot 5 coyotes there and one of them had its front paw gnawed off and bone broken from a leghold set without offset jaws.

Apparently someone is snaring and trapping in the area on private land they don't have right of access to, not checking their sets at reasonable intervals, and using illegal style of leghold traps. They had informed fish n game but nothing came of it aside from them advising the rancher to keep his dogs penned up.

How hard is it to ask the farmer for permission and warn him to keep his dogs close, or to spend 20 bucks on the right leghold instead of the wrong one.

Next time you approach a rancher for permission and they have a bad preconceived notion of hunting or trapping, losers like the guy above are the reason why.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foonus View Post
Sorry but with our rtarded lights out no shooting laws I have little to no sympathy for those without this handicap that can harvest wolves/coyotes 24/7 with traps and snares.

Someone shooting at them during the day has no effect on this aside from the possible case of too much pressure maybe forcing them to move off your trapline and then its an issue of costing you money, especially if they did shoot and remove it successfully.

If you really want something to complain about, try hunting a property that has seen half a dozen FoxPro users educating the pests on why they shouldn't move outside of dark hours. Good luck shooting then when they won't move inside of legal shooting hours.

Get the Fed's to legalize night hunting for pests, and everyone will be happy.
Add suppressors to the list while you are at it.

Had a bad week did you based on your other post?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Sounds like a bit of a story to me.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post

Sorry but with our rtarded lights out no shooting laws I have little to no sympathy for those without this handicap that can harvest wolves/coyotes 24/7 with traps and snares.

Someone shooting at them during the day has no effect on this aside from the possible case of too much pressure maybe forcing them to move off your trapline and then its an issue of costing you money, especially if they did shoot and remove it successfully.

If you really want something to complain about, try hunting a property that has seen half a dozen FoxPro users educating the pests on why they shouldn't move outside of dark hours. Good luck shooting then when they won't move inside of legal shooting hours.

Night hunting even for preds would be a rodeo in many parts of the province ..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

It might of worked in the 80’s but in 2019 every second average owner will be phoning in gunshots.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post

If you want to reply to a post reply to that post in its thread, don't copy and paste a post from another thread to immediately derail this thread. Read the forum rules, and gain some common forum etiquette. This isn't the place for forum lurkers and trolls.

Last edited by Foonus; 12-03-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Sounds like a bit of a story to me.
Indeed.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Indeed.
And what fact do you base this on? Do I need to go out to the garage and literally take a picture for you to see?

Cant believe some of "you people". trying to call shame a poacher in the area in hopes he sees the post and stops and the only response here is negativity and you jump on me instead of the poacher. You call yourselves responsible outdoorsman and trapper and respond this way.. Unbelievable.

Pro job. nice rear leg toe catch...now waiting on the first troll that will tell me I can cut like that with a knife and it will start growing over.

Last edited by Foonus; 12-03-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It might of worked in the 80’s but in 2019 every second average owner will be phoning in gunshots.
I guess someone else brought my post in from another thread so quote from it.

"Add suppressors to the list while you are at it."

Not here trying to be an asshat or call anyone out, this situation is as told to me by the few ranchers I had asked for permissions in that district along what I saw from what I harvested and posted what I saw to discourage it.

As a youngster I lost some of my best friends to coyotes. Don't get me wrong I have no love for them (the coyotes) and encourage trapping, snaring, and shooting.
Its the amateurism and irresponsibility that leads to collateral damage that disturbs me, and should disturb all of us in terms of how it effects how we know the current federal institutions will react.
In todays circumstances we need to be "holier than the pope".

The posts in this thread I made for one person, the guy (gal/non binary gender.. in todays age) poaching in that specific area to see, aside from that one individual I have no issue with anyone here and if I made this appear like an anti trapping post that's the last thing I intended to do. We all need to see our current situation and react accordingly, infighting is just a means to our end.

Last edited by Foonus; 12-04-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Spell check... sigh....”acreage “
Old 12-04-2019, 04:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Actually guys I have to side with Foonus this time.

What has night hunting to do with setting illegal sets. Seems to me that what he's talking about is a legitimate concern.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 AM

First of all that's a bummer that the rancher is having issues with illegal trappers. Did the busted leg dog have any indication that it was actually trapped? I have shot a fair number of coyotes now with missing appendages that I know for a fact have not seen a trap or snare for years.
The snared dogs that the rancher found. Were they on his property when he found them?
Not saying your wrong but often legal trappers get blamed or berated when someone's half wild dogs get caught 2 miles from home.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Illegal trappers are easier to catch than drive by shooters.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
First of all that's a bummer that the rancher is having issues with illegal trappers. Did the busted leg dog have any indication that it was actually trapped? I have shot a fair number of coyotes now with missing appendages that I know for a fact have not seen a trap or snare for years.
The snared dogs that the rancher found. Were they on his property when he found them?
Not saying your wrong but often legal trappers get blamed or berated when someone's half wild dogs get caught 2 miles from home.
Was out there again yesterday and talked with one of his neighbors, they had mentioned that he had a person snaring and trapping on his property, that property is right next to the rancher that had snares set on his land without permit. A bait pile was left his land, dogs went to it no doubt since he didn't warn the guy that it was there and got caught. He said he found them both in snares after 3 days missing when he searching around the property looking for them. Going off what he said but I did see the one dog and its neck did have visible scarring.

As for the paw, (no idea why image is broken now), that's how I shot her so I have no idea, if it was a trap, an offset jaw or padded trap wouldn't do that. Could have been a train I suppose . Jk. hah
Old 12-04-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Was out there again yesterday and talked with one of his neighbors, they had mentioned that he had a person snaring and trapping on his property, that property is right next to the rancher that had snares set on his land without permit. A bait pile was left his land, dogs went to it no doubt since he didn't warn the guy that it was there and got caught. He said he found them both in snares after 3 days missing when he searching around the property looking for them. Going off what he said but I did see the one dog and its neck did have visible scarring.

As for the paw, (no idea why image is broken now), that's how I shot her so I have no idea, if it was a trap, an offset jaw or padded trap wouldn't do that. Could have been a train I suppose . Jk. hah

So if I read that right the neighbor had a guy baiting and snaring on his place and your buddy found a bait and his dogs caught in his own land as well? If that's the case the neighbor may be able to point you to someone to talk to about it. As for the coyote with the bad paw it could be any number of things I have shot one with what speared to be a bullet wound and 2 completely healed up. Offset/padded or not footholds don't often snap feet right off.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM

I've got a coyote limping around my place with only 3 paws, I've seen him off and on for over a year now and no way am I going to shoot that guy. Its hard enough for a coyote to make a living through the winter here and this guy has been getting it done , shuffling around on 3 feet for over a year. Much respect for that guy, he's earned a pass from me.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
I've got a coyote limping around my place with only 3 paws, I've seen him off and on for over a year now and no way am I going to shoot that guy. Its hard enough for a coyote to make a living through the winter here and this guy has been getting it done , shuffling around on 3 feet for over a year. Much respect for that guy, he's earned a pass from me.
One way of looking at it.
I see a coyote that will be having a tough go compared to other dogs. I’d probably take him out.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Once heard a county trapper say "you'll never catch a 3 legged coyote".
Old 12-05-2019, 12:16 PM

I snares a yote last winter in sask here an caught a three legged yote it was missing back leg from elbow down the stub was Callist an can tell he had to no prob moving around I’ll see if I can find pic an idea some one wants to post pic I can’ txt it
Old 12-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I see a coyote that will be having a tough go compared to other dogs. I’d probably take him out.
3 paws and a great skin is still $120! The 4th paw won't up the price any.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing when I first saw him a year ago, but he seems to be holding his own.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Sounds like the trapper next door was doing things properly (unless He had snares on the wrong property). Sounds fishy though, if I found illegal snares on my place, there would be some discussion. A Coyote with broken or missing limbs, feet, ears, eyes, tails, toes, is all quite normal. They kill things for a living with Their mouth, fight, and get cold same as us. I have caught many 3 legged, broken healed, missing etc. Your being quick to point fingers here.

Spruce
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

Thats your average November deer season here.

Most people are sleeping at prime time.