Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Default Americans prefer happy holidays

I'm surprised by this! I wonder what the Canadian statistics look like? Maybe it's just around here or just the people I come into contact with, but it seems like the vast majority like to hear/say Merry Christmas.

More Americans prefer 'happy holidays' over 'Merry Christmas': Poll

CHICAGO - Nearly half of Americans say stores and businesses should greet customers with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" instead of "Merry Christmas" out of respect for people of different faiths, according to a poll released on Tuesday.

The issue has become increasingly political, with 49% of Americans supporting "Happy Holidays," up from 44% in 2010, according to the Public Religion Research Institute. A minority, 43%, prefer the specifically religious greeting.

"Americans seem to be turning a corner on the appropriateness of more inclusive holiday greetings during December," said Robert Jones, CEO of PRRI.

Opinions split along political lines - 61% of Republicans favour using "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays," while 58% of Democrats say the opposite.

Among white evangelical Protestants, 62% would prefer that businesses use the religious greeting. However, most minority Protestants (55%), the religiously unaffiliated (58%) and half of Catholics (50%) favour the more generic greeting.

The answers also differ by generation. About two-thirds of young adults, ages 18-29, support stores using a non-religious greeting, as opposed to 39% of American seniors, the poll found.

Some conservative pundits have criticized the use of "Happy Holidays" as a sign that religious festivities have come under secular attack. This year, Texas passed a "Merry Christmas" law, allowing public school students and staff to say "Merry Christmas" and sing Christmas songs without fear of punishment.

Gordon Billingsley, 58, of Overland Park, Kansas, said he's fine with any holiday greeting.

"Why should I be offended by someone who is choosing to be inclusive as they offer me a kindness?" Billingsley said. "It makes it no less kind, and it sort of gives me some hope that the spirit of the season can reach across our differences."

The telephone and cell phone survey of 1,056 randomly selected adults was conducted from Dec. 4-12 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/1...christmas-poll
Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM

I wouldn't say that a survey of just over 1,000 people says much for what a country of 300 million prefers.

I took my holidays in August, why didn't anyone wish me happy holidays then? It's Christmas time.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Banned

Immigration.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Immigration.
Well that may be a large part, but there are lot's of whites who would love to see Christmas go the way of the dodo..
Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Well that may be a large part, but there are lot's of whites who would love to see Christmas go the way of the dodo..
I wasn't talking about race, I was talking about point of origin. Different beliefs from different parts of the world. Less Christian % of population.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about race, I was talking about point of origin. Different beliefs from different parts of the world. Less Christian % of population.
Ahh, I see what you are saying. ya that makes sense. Unfortunately, even amongst people who were born here, Christianity seems to be shrinking. Maybe something awesome will fill the vacuum?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Happy Festivus.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

I`m not "Christian" What does that mean anyway?I`d rather bite the head off a live rat that waste a good part of my day in church.I live by good common sense morals and ways.10 commandments are mostly right on the money,rules for a civilized society to live by and prosper.
So as far as I am concerned Merry Christmas is just my preferred greeting this time of year.The greeting does not mean you subscribe to a particular faith,same as Happy Hanakka or Happy Kwanza,it`s just folks being happy and passing along a friendly greeting in their own way.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Merry Christmas to all of you:0)

I will continue to say that regardless of who
You are....
Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 PM

LOL @ Fisherpeak Osbourne....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
I'm surprised by this! I wonder what the Canadian statistics look like? Maybe it's just around here or just the people I come into contact with, but it seems like the vast majority like to hear/say Merry Christmas.

More Americans prefer 'happy holidays' over 'Merry Christmas': Poll

CHICAGO - Nearly half of Americans say stores and businesses should greet customers with "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" instead of "Merry Christmas" out of respect for people of different faiths, according to a poll released on Tuesday.

The issue has become increasingly political, with 49% of Americans supporting "Happy Holidays," up from 44% in 2010, according to the Public Religion Research Institute. A minority, 43%, prefer the specifically religious greeting.

"Americans seem to be turning a corner on the appropriateness of more inclusive holiday greetings during December," said Robert Jones, CEO of PRRI.

Opinions split along political lines - 61% of Republicans favour using "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays," while 58% of Democrats say the opposite.

Among white evangelical Protestants, 62% would prefer that businesses use the religious greeting. However, most minority Protestants (55%), the religiously unaffiliated (58%) and half of Catholics (50%) favour the more generic greeting.

The answers also differ by generation. About two-thirds of young adults, ages 18-29, support stores using a non-religious greeting, as opposed to 39% of American seniors, the poll found.

Some conservative pundits have criticized the use of "Happy Holidays" as a sign that religious festivities have come under secular attack. This year, Texas passed a "Merry Christmas" law, allowing public school students and staff to say "Merry Christmas" and sing Christmas songs without fear of punishment.

Gordon Billingsley, 58, of Overland Park, Kansas, said he's fine with any holiday greeting.

"Why should I be offended by someone who is choosing to be inclusive as they offer me a kindness?" Billingsley said. "It makes it no less kind, and it sort of gives me some hope that the spirit of the season can reach across our differences."

The telephone and cell phone survey of 1,056 randomly selected adults was conducted from Dec. 4-12 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/1...christmas-poll
The answer is easy...people prefer alliteration.
Its catchier...

That and the word happy is just more used and probably less archaic in peoples minds...not to mention...easier for more people to spell correctly.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Immigration.
what is christmas now? Christmas is nothing but a shopping frenzy when was the last time any of those Christmas enthusiasts went to church saaaay for midnight mass.

it could be the fact that Im agnostic but really im not too hung up. when someone says happy holidays I reply with that and when someone says Merry Christmas I reply with that too.

here is a side note, a friend of mine is athiest and his family has always been and they always celebrate Christmas. funny thing the guy doesn't know anything about Christianity. oh and hes white
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

Another faux war against a faux holiday.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM

It's a christian holiday. It's called christmas. I don't understand how the term merry christmas could offend anyone. If you're not celebrating christmas than you shouldn't have an opinion about it. And if you do celebrate it, then why would you refer to it as anything else?

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2flypat View Post
It's a christian holiday. It's called christmas. I don't understand how the term merry christmas could offend anyone. If you're not celebrating christmas than you shouldn't have an opinion about it. And if you do celebrate it, then why would you refer to it as anything else?

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you
What does Santa and elves and reindeer have to do with Jesus Christ ?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Santa, elves and reindeer is part of how we celebrate. More specifically, it adds a little entertainment for the really young kids. Jesus christ is why we celebrate.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2flypat View Post
Santa, elves and reindeer is part of how we celebrate. More specifically, it adds a little entertainment for the really young kids. Jesus christ is why we celebrate.
Jesus has very little to do with Christmas anymore. It's a commercial holiday at best so I don't get upset what people call it.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM

If they don't celebrate Christmas that's fine with me. But I do and I'll be
call it what I want. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 PM

I always say merry Christmas. Guess its just how I was brought up. The thing I hate about Christmas is how they start advertising the end of October and it just seems like a big cash grab to me. I could care less about presents. To me it's about spending time with family and friends.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
If they don't celebrate Christmas that's fine with me. But I do and I'll be
call it what I want. Merry Christmas!
Why does it offend people if other people call Christmas holidays ? Isn't Christmas time a holiday ?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I always say merry Christmas. Guess its just how I was brought up. The thing I hate about Christmas is how they start advertising the end of October and it just seems like a big cash grab to me. I could care less about presents. To me it's about spending time with family and friends.
All holidays have become way over commercialized, it's gotten to the point I hate even decorating.

I like the time off work and spending time with the family. Great excuse to sneak away to the cabin with the family for a few days.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I don't care what people call it personally. I agree Christmas has become to commercialized. Maybe I have turned it off though because I don't notice the ads anymore.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Immigration.
I think many immigrants to America are Latino who are overwhelmingly catholic who I would guess would celebrate Christmas.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I think many immigrants to America are Latino who are overwhelmingly catholic who I would guess would celebrate Christmas.
Shhhh

It's always the immigrants fault.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM

Merry Christmas my fellow A0 members!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
Merry Christmas my fellow A0 members!
merry Christmas to you too and everyone who celebrates. and happy holidays everybody else.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Illegal immigrants wouldn't answer the phone to answer the survey

It was just a guess at why the results were what they were. Latinos are a part of the immigrants to the US, but there are also lots of other immigrants. What do you think the results of the survey would have been 40 years ago? If there was zero immigration from then until now do you think it would still be the same result? I doubt it.

What else, besides having an alternate religion, would cause one to want happy holiday rather than Merry Christmas?
It's the best I could come up with.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Shhhh

It's always the immigrants fault.
Ok, why is it so then? What is your explanation???
Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok, why is it so then? What is your explanation???
Sarcasm.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Sarcasm.
Hard to pick up on sarcasm on the net sometimes.

Merry Christmas Ali, no sarcasm in this post.