Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 PM

Default motorized boat bans alberta

Ive seen this strategy work quite well in b.c in lakes that have too many boaters. Pigieon lake in my opinion should really start looking at a motorized boat ban for a few years untill water levels rise and the algea blooms are under controll i know for a fact alot of boaters dont take the time to clean their vehicles off properly when travvelling from lake to lake and the amount of pleasure craft out there in the summer reminds me of a carnival sometimes. I boat as well and it would be a bummer but in cases like pigieon i think a few years of motor bans would definatly help in conjunction with the catchand relese program. Not saying all boaters are to blam just that there is way way to many people on that lake . If the algea blooms stop people from swimming its time to start restricting the types of boats allowed . I seen it work very well on cameron lake south of hudson hope b.c after the motor ban a lake on the verge of collapse rebounded quite well after a few years. There are other lakes here in my opinion better suited for pleasure craft. Like wabamum . What are your opinions of alberta looking more into motorized boat bans? on the plus side paddles are great exercise and lord knows i could use more lol. sylvan and wabamum in my opinion are great lakes for sking jet skis ect. the good fishing lakes should have a little strickter requirments depending on volume of use
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM

i'm by no means a biologist, but have a feeling that the algae in pigeon has a lot more to do with the lake being in the heart of agricultural land, being fed by a creek that has about a hunderd miles worth of cattle pasture and fertilized farm land on either side dumping all the manure and phosphates into the lake. That in conjunction with warm weather in a shallow lake like pigeon spells b/g algae. there have been huge blooms on that lake since WWI; well before the big money boaters made a home there.

please correct me if i'm wrong
cheers
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM

I agree. Ban motorized boats on ALL lakes that have fish in them. We could call it the "New Participaction" campaign. I'm sure some of you on the forum remember "Participaction" Rowing is great exercise and lord knows it's hard to hold a drink while rowing. A great way to build up the old biceps, triceps and pectoral muscles, not to mention the old gut.

Just think of the peace and serenity as we all row around quietly in our boats, kayaks or canoes in search of fishes or just for the sheer joy of being in the great outdoors. We wouldn't ever have to worry about some wiener head swamping us with his/her massive wake as he/she speeds by. No big oil or gas slicks. No line ups at the boat launch. The fish, ducks, muskrats, beavers, herons, geese, loons, grebes, frogs and other aquatic wildlife would be much happier. I'd say it is a fantastic idea.
Hmmm.....maybe we could allow fishing from sea-doos though for all those sporty, speedy types. Don't want to exclude anyone from having their fun.

I think I'll write SRD and sell them on the idea.
Cheers,
Billybobjimbo Jr.

Last edited by billybobjimbo jr.; 04-17-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
i'm by no means a biologist, but have a feeling that the algae in pigeon has a lot more to do with the lake being in the heart of agricultural land, being fed by a creek that has about a hunderd miles worth of cattle pasture and fertilized farm land on either side dumping all the manure and phosphates into the lake. That in conjunction with warm weather in a shallow lake like pigeon spells b/g algae. there have been huge blooms on that lake since WWI; well before the big money boaters made a home there.

please correct me if i'm wrong
cheers
im sure that definaly is part of it. im just going on the example of lakes ive seen in b.c that after being hit hard with too many boats and DIRTY boats the lakes almost died. After a break with no motors they seemed to recover quite well and of course i will use a motor on pigion myself but could see some resoning on giving her a break for a few years if it would clean it up. i plan on living a long time lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjimbo jr. View Post
I agree. Ban motorized boats on ALL lakes that have fish in them. We could call it the "New Participaction" campaign. I'm sure some of you on the forum remember "Participaction" Rowing is great exercise and lord knows it's hard to hold a drink while rowing. A great way to build up the old biceps, triceps and pectoral muscles, not to mention the old gut.

Just think of the peace and serenity as we all row around quietly in our boats, kayaks or canoes in search of fishes or just for the sheer joy of being in the great outdoors. We wouldn't ever have to worry about some wiener head swamping us with his/her massive wake as he/she speeds by. No big oil or gas slicks. No line ups at the boat launch. The fish, ducks, muskrats, beavers, herons, geese, loons, grebes, frogs and other aquatic wildlife would be much happier. I'd say it is a fantastic idea.
Hmmm.....maybe we could allowing fishing from sea-doos though for all those sporty, speedy types. Don't want to exclude anyone from having their fun.

I think I'll write SRD and sell them on the idea.
Cheers,
Billybobjimbo Jr.
lol think you getting the wrong idea lakes with MASSIVE amounts of boats. Ever beenout there on the weekend ? dont you think i like motors too? Not saying a perment ban just recovery time. lots of lakes that dont have the amount of boaters to be concerned about.But hey if your fun is all your concerned about your absoulutly right.

Last edited by savagencounter; 04-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned

110% correct there seahawk. I've seen the same thing happening in dozens of lakes that I've fished since a kid. Feedlots, on the sheltered sideslope, protection from the winter winds, are not at all uncommon. As well, farmers, faced with ever increasing costs have had to utilize every acre and are therefore cropping right up to the lakes edges. As a boy, fishing around St. Paul, I realized this was happening and that was more than -oops- 40 yrs. ago. I think some sort of law is in the books but is not being enforced. Weed growth is magnified when combined with warmer waters and sunlite penetrates further down with shallower levels ..Basically, just a repeat of what was already mentioned...
As far as restrictions are concerned -- don't hold your breath--there are always people around who just love them.. Soon, I'll be allowed to fish on Weds., between 2 -4PM, every other week..
If your time slot is the same as mine, maybe we should get together--
Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 PM

Savagencounter,
Actually, I'm serious. I know I won't make any friends with these comments but if it was in my power I would ban ALL gas powered motors on lakes with fish in them. I have no problem with electric motors mind you. Much more peaceful.

This will probably upset a few people but I'm entitled to my opinion so here goes. I'd also outright ban ATV's as well. They are noisy, smelly, damaging, allow people access to places they would NEVER walk or hike to and are a contributing factor to obesity and overall slovenliness. It is my humble opinion that MANY not all quadders have a complete disregard for anyone or anything other than their own enjoyment and pleasure. Unfortunately, someone pi**ed in the gene pool.

Whew! That felt good to get off my chest.
Cheers,
Billybobjimbo Jr.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

I cant comment on Alberta lakes, but have any of you guys seen Lake Windermere on a weekend?

Rumor has a Boat ban comming into play out there. Or at least restrictions of some sort.

Between the boats and all the cabins it gets a bit dicey.

Jamie
Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 AM

I think we should also ban all those ducks from the lake. They stick their filthy little feet in all kinds of dirty water - even sewage lagoons, and then come traipsing into our clean lake. Who knows what organisms they're transfering around the province.

I'll get the SRD right on it - to install some NO DUCKS ALLOWED signs.

This fall I'm going to whack some ducks and save a lake!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:10 AM

we've got a lot of lakes in the peace country that ban or suggest the use of motors other than gas. I tend to disagree with it, but it does provide a peaceful fishery and guys arent running the lake to find their favorite spot like its a bass tournament. However, I dont agree with it on bigger lakes as a lot of the people arent fishing in the big lakes instead they are skiing etc. I think it depends on the fishery, not on the algae or traffic, instead there should be a ban on motors of a certain HP depending on the size of lake in question.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
motorized boat ban for a few years untill water levels rise
Maybe the two water feed lines to the Bonnie Glen Imperial Oil Plant might have more to do with the water level decline than boat usage.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:46 AM

Boat ban, Give me a break?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM

People thinking that they can get a boat ban for a short time 3-5 years will be dissapointed. Once that ban is in affect they will not remove it.

If they do something like that it would have to depend on the size of the lake. Motor restriction on some lakes sure. But if the lake has any size to it and any chance of big waves, then I think safety of boaters would also come into play and it should never happen on such a lake.

side note:::

Maybe they should start making lakes with a concrete base. Have it a nice uniform depth so it is warm for the swimmers and skiers. Then they could clorinate it and keep it nice and clean and all the people who do not fish could go to these "lakes" They could make then indoors too so they can be used all year around. Maybe this could be added to the west ed mall

ALso if you do not have fishing license you will not be allowed on any lakes with fish in them.

Sorry I think I went off on a tangent there
Old 04-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Algae blooms are a fact of life in Alberta. Banning motor boats is not gonna make them dissapear. If you dont like it then move to B.C.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM

The only lakes they put any motor bans on are little reservoirs and ponds.... sadly. I only use electric motors myself and i can't see how you need anything more for fishing. Personally I'd be overjoyed if they threw in a dozen large lakes in for electric only. Sure the throngs of teenagers who only can have fun if they are ripping the lake in half with their 2400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000hp megatron motor boat will be enraged but then so am i when i'm trying to fish and they storm through and smash the area i'm in. I bet the fish in most lakes near edmonton are permenantly shell shocked.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk1 View Post
Boat ban, Give me a break?
I'm with you on this. I'm also curious if most of the guys that are crying boat ban don't have a boat. Seahawkfisher and sourdough hit it right on the head, its not the boats that cause the problems, its the run-off. If you want another good example of this look no further than lake Isle.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM

I don't think It should be a " Boat Ban '' However I do think they need to crack down on folks with Leaky motors that are dumping oil and gas into the lakes . I think that is what they should do . I dint think Algae is caused from Boating however I do think its from Fecal matter entering our water ways . How can one compare Alberta to BC ..... You cant Alberta has I think around 800 lakes not all with fish . When BC has many more lakes and less people per a lake then Alberta . There are many variables you would need to look at here , but I think your on the right track but I cant agree with a '' BOAT BAN "
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

I was going to try and be polite, but the more I thought about it and after reading everyone else's rants, that went out the window.

Plain and simple, I've never heard a more ridiculous justification for an even more ridiculous idea. Why is everyone always trying to control the other guy rather than worrying about themselves, everyone's "big brother" these days...

There are numerous small lakes (and large ones for that matter) all over AB where you can fish all day in peace and quiet, most without motor bans. If you want total quiet, go to a lake where that's guaranteed.

Pigeon is a recreational lake in the middle of AB. What do you expect when you go there on a summer weekend? Knowing what it's like on a weekend, why would anyone go there if they're looking for peace and quiet? What on earth makes you think that your desire to fish in peace outweighs someone else's desire to take their kids waterskiing at the lake on the weekend? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the zoo any more than anyone else here, and our lakes in general are getting too busy for my liking, but I respect other's rights to enjoy public lands as they please, and I plan my trips accordingly. You don't like the noise or wakes or anyone doing something you don't approve of on a PUBLIC lake so it should be banned?

GIVE ME BREAK.

The algae bloom on AB's lakes has about 0.000001% to do with "dirty boats". Do you even understand what an algae bloom is or what causes one? The actual reasons for it have been made pretty clear by others above. Ban motorboats due to algae?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Water levels are low due to low runoff the last couple years, but also due to large usage of fresh water for industrial and agricultural purposes. I'm not sure how motorboats are in any way connected to water levels, this ones' a complete non-starter. Ban motorboats because water levels are low?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

The fishery at Pigeon could certainly be managed better IMHO, but I don't think you can say it's suffering, it's certainly not collapsed. It's one of the best walleye fisheries in the province in terms of catch rates. Ban motors because the fishery is suffering?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Some people never cease to amaze me...

Waxy
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I do think they need to crack down on folks with Leaky motors that are dumping oil and gas into the lakes .
Now THAT I can agree with.

Waxy
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
But if the lake has any size to it and any chance of big waves, then I think safety of boaters would also come into play and it should never happen on such a lake.
That's a really good point... You would definitely see a rise in emergency rescues if people had to resort to rowing on a lake the size of Pigeon.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjimbo jr. View Post
Savagencounter,
Actually, I'm serious. I know I won't make any friends with these comments but if it was in my power I would ban ALL gas powered motors on lakes with fish in them. I have no problem with electric motors mind you. Much more peaceful.

This will probably upset a few people but I'm entitled to my opinion so here goes. I'd also outright ban ATV's as well. They are noisy, smelly, damaging, allow people access to places they would NEVER walk or hike to and are a contributing factor to obesity and overall slovenliness. It is my humble opinion that MANY not all quadders have a complete disregard for anyone or anything other than their own enjoyment and pleasure. Unfortunately, someone pi**ed in the gene pool.

Whew! That felt good to get off my chest.
Cheers,
Billybobjimbo Jr.
some points i agree with places with specific designations would probably be a good solution
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=savagencounter;306733]some points i agree with places with specific designations would probably be a good solution[/QUOTE

Pigion id a recreation lake but is getting way way to much people now to the person who is concerned about taking kids out skiing and swimming im with you as we swim there and fish and contribute to the problem. But it is a proven fact alge is transported by dirty boats as well as parasites and diesies so remember to clean your boat but if you see half the people out there do you think they really care or understand that. Duck transporting alge sure bud ? the prop chewing up the water also increases alge by adding oxegen simular to an arrator. thats a proven fact. I think a motorized boat ban a =on a great fishing lake for a few years to clean it up would HELP how is that a bad idea? not saying this should be done on ALL lakes but some that are getting overused should have this. I have a boat with a motor but its not going to be worth the time if the fish are diesead or dead . And if you cant swim in the lake because the alge is to dangerous how is that good for your kids? definatly other things are contributing to the problem but on step at a time to start fixing things before its too late. Farming, oil and gas and recreation are all part of it but i see in some opinions here its better to not even worry about it or even consider some minor inconvienice if it could possibly maintain a good resourse.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Now THAT I can agree with.

Waxy
x2
Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I was going to try and be polite, but the more I thought about it and after reading everyone else's rants, that went out the window.

Plain and simple, I've never heard a more ridiculous justification for an even more ridiculous idea. Why is everyone always trying to control the other guy rather than worrying about themselves, everyone's "big brother" these days...

There are numerous small lakes (and large ones for that matter) all over AB where you can fish all day in peace and quiet, most without motor bans. If you want total quiet, go to a lake where that's guaranteed.

Pigeon is a recreational lake in the middle of AB. What do you expect when you go there on a summer weekend? Knowing what it's like on a weekend, why would anyone go there if they're looking for peace and quiet? What on earth makes you think that your desire to fish in peace outweighs someone else's desire to take their kids waterskiing at the lake on the weekend? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the zoo any more than anyone else here, and our lakes in general are getting too busy for my liking, but I respect other's rights to enjoy public lands as they please, and I plan my trips accordingly. You don't like the noise or wakes or anyone doing something you don't approve of on a PUBLIC lake so it should be banned?

GIVE ME BREAK.

The algae bloom on AB's lakes has about 0.000001% to do with "dirty boats". Do you even understand what an algae bloom is or what causes one? The actual reasons for it have been made pretty clear by others above. Ban motorboats due to algae?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Water levels are low due to low runoff the last couple years, but also due to large usage of fresh water for industrial and agricultural purposes. I'm not sure how motorboats are in any way connected to water levels, this ones' a complete non-starter. Ban motorboats because water levels are low?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

The fishery at Pigeon could certainly be managed better IMHO, but I don't think you can say it's suffering, it's certainly not collapsed. It's one of the best walleye fisheries in the province in terms of catch rates. Ban motors because the fishery is suffering?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Some people never cease to amaze me...

Waxy

No, give me a break. I am not suggesting they give up their right to have fun on public lakes but that they cater to all forms of public. That means I think they should make some of the lakes that are near major centers to be reduced in boat access, such as electric, and then other lakes also in the same widely travelled areas wide open that way everyone can be happy rather than a handful of ponds being protected while every lake near a major population being stomped into the ground by lake rippin rednecks. You say we should cater to everyone but since you are leaving it open in the end you only cater to the clown act. The other side of your argument is that why should we have to drive 6 hours to find a quiet lake when there are enough lakes in the area near to civilization to be able to offer a segregation.

Last edited by jpietrzak1979; 04-18-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

lol this topic is so stupid. Do you people realize how unsafe only having a electric motor is on any decent size lake. Most electric motor are going to have a hell of time pushing a reasoniable size boat back to the boat launch in 2+ foot waves. Your batterys will probably die before you get there and then what your at the mercy of the lake. Your stupid as **** if u go out on a lake the size of pigion in a 14 footer with a electric motor. If the wind picks up and starts pushing u out into the middle of the lake your ****ed. Electric motors are never suppose to be used for more then trolling and small trout lakes.

jpietrzak1979 if u wanna risk your life go for it. Just didn't try to force anyone else to risk theres. Also what do u expect its alberta crowds of people are everywhere.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
lol this topic is so stupid. Do you people realize how unsafe only having a electric motor is on any decent size lake. Most electric motor are going to have a hell of time pushing a reasoniable size boat back to the boat launch in 2+ foot waves. Your batterys will probably die before you get there and then what your at the mercy of the lake. Your stupid as **** if u go out on a lake the size of pigion in a 14 footer with a electric motor. If the wind picks up and starts pushing u out into the middle of the lake your ****ed. Electric motors are never suppose to be used for more then trolling and small trout lakes.

jpietrzak1979 if u wanna risk your life go for it. Just didn't try to force anyone else to risk theres. Also what do u expect its alberta crowds of people are everywhere.
WOW!! I actually agree with HPF on this. Excuse me while I go see if Calgary is frozen over.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpietrzak1979 View Post
No, give me a break. I am not suggesting they give up their right to have fun on public lakes but that they cater to all forms of public. That means I think they should make some of the lakes that are near major centers to be reduced in boat access, such as electric, and then other lakes also in the same widely travelled areas wide open that way everyone can be happy rather than a handful of ponds being protected while every lake near a major population being stomped into the ground by lake rippin rednecks. You say we should cater to everyone but since you are leaving it open in the end you only cater to the clown act. The other side of your argument is that why should we have to drive 6 hours to find a quiet lake when there are enough lakes in the area near to civilization to be able to offer a segregation.
Have you looked at a map or the regs? I think you'll find there's plenty of lakes within equal driving distance that offer peace and quiet.

If you want limited or no access, or electric only, then why do you need a large lake? As others have pointed out, this becomes a matter of safety and practicality.

There are a limited number of lakes of sufficient size in southern AB to support motorized recreation, and I think we're all pretty aware of which lakes those are. Personally, I'd much rather the wakeboard and watersports crowd stick to these main lakes. If you ban them on lakes like Pigeon, or restrict access, guess what, they're only going to show up at another lake, like the quiet and peaceful lake you've been fishing at for years, and do their thing.

The answer isn't a ban, there are VERY few things to which the best answer is a ban. I think we all agree that there's too much "clown" activity on the lakes. The answer to that is pretty simple, crack down on the clowns and start handing out a more booze, speed, saftey regulation, and careless driving tickets.

Waxy
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter
Pigion id a recreation lake but is getting way way to much people now to the person who is concerned about taking kids out skiing and swimming im with you as we swim there and fish and contribute to the problem. But it is a proven fact alge is transported by dirty boats as well as parasites and diesies so remember to clean your boat but if you see half the people out there do you think they really care or understand that. Duck transporting alge sure bud ? the prop chewing up the water also increases alge by adding oxegen simular to an arrator. thats a proven fact. I think a motorized boat ban a =on a great fishing lake for a few years to clean it up would HELP how is that a bad idea? not saying this should be done on ALL lakes but some that are getting overused should have this. I have a boat with a motor but its not going to be worth the time if the fish are diesead or dead . And if you cant swim in the lake because the alge is to dangerous how is that good for your kids? definatly other things are contributing to the problem but on step at a time to start fixing things before its too late. Farming, oil and gas and recreation are all part of it but i see in some opinions here its better to not even worry about it or even consider some minor inconvienice if it could possibly maintain a good resourse.
If any of these factors you've mentioned were truly the cause of the algae problems at Pigeon Lake, then most lakes and rivers in southern Canada would have massive algae problems. Ontario would be a cess pools of blue green algae...

You also seem to tbe missing the point that the fishing on Pigeon is not collapsed or in any danger of collapsing.

I'm not denying that weeds, invasive species, etc... can be transported by dirty boats, that is a proven fact, and we should all be more conscious of it, but it just isn't the issue with Pigeon. Removing motorized boats from the lake will have a near zero effect on algae growth.

I think we'd all agree that something needs to be done to address the real cause of the algae bloom on Pigeon and other lakes. It's not a good situation when the few lakes we have are becoming unusable due to pollution.

Waxy
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 AM

Default true true

Quote:
If any of these factors you've mentioned were truly the cause of the algae problems at Pigeon Lake, then most lakes and rivers in southern Canada would have massive algae problems. Ontario would be a cess pools of blue green algae...

You also seem to tbe missing the point that the fishing on Pigeon is not collapsed or in any danger of collapsing.

I'm not denying that weeds, invasive species, etc... can be transported by dirty boats, that is a proven fact, and we should all be more conscious of it, but it just isn't the issue with Pigeon. Removing motorized boats from the lake will have a near zero effect on algae growth.

I think we'd all agree that something needs to be done to address the real cause of the algae bloom on Pigeon and other lakes. It's not a good situation when the few lakes we have are becoming unusable due to pollution.

Waxy
I was only wondering if you think cutting down boat traffic and motors for a year or two might have any effect on cleaning up that lake last year in august it was terrible pure bright green water when in the spring you could see the botton the water looked like koolaid. They banned swimming thats how bad it got. Maybe maybe not cutting out motors for a bit may help but im not a biologist. And if safety is a concern use common sence and dont go out with an electric or canoes when there is a chance of rough weather . it really sucks to hear about people drowning . last year a few lives lost and even a really young one about 5 .
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The answer isn't a ban, there are VERY few things to which the best answer is a ban. I think we all agree that there's too much "clown" activity on the lakes. The answer to that is pretty simple, crack down on the clowns and start handing out a more booze, speed, saftey regulation, and careless driving tickets.

Waxy
Waxy,
You bring up some very good points but I don't see the reducing the "clown" factor all that simple. Handing out tickets is a good idea in theory but you and I both know that there is not enough money in government coffers to pay the number of Fish and Wildlife dudes needed to police the many lakes, rivers and streams in our great province. I've spoken to a few Fish & Wildlife guys over the years and most of them admit there is no way they can cover their territory effectively. It would be a big help for SRD to be able to allocate funds and hire more men/women.
One way to reduce the "clown" factor is for responsible people to report illegal behavior. Many of us have digital cameras and cell phones now so it is up to us to report people that feel they are above the laws and regulations. Another way is to educate people. Many folks out there just don't take the time to actually READ regulations, signage or whatever information that is available to them regarding the law, let alone plain good edicate and respect of others, while out there having fun in the great outdoors.

I'm off topic regarding algae, low water levels and such but it was a good rant anyway.
Cheers,
BBJ Jr.