Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 AM

What Twisted Canuck said.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Don't recal thinking much about "regets" when I was 40, but now I'm 70 I can sure think of a lot ...
I'm with this guy.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

I would have taken a different direction regarding my education.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
This explains a lot.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 AM

Patriot 1 is this you?

No regrets. I fully believe all my footsteps are ordered by the Lord. Good and bad. I know some won't agree with that.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Never understood the people who say "No regrets. I wouldn't change a thing". Never made a poor choice or hurt anyone their entire life? Or just don't care if they did? I'd give the world for a few "do overs". But all you can do is try to make amends, vow to do better, and move on.

And I don't think god ordains everything you do. He gives us free will. He just forgives us when we err. I don't believe he causes our poor or evil choices. Otherwise there's your defense on a murder charge... "God ordained it". And no, murder isn't one of the things I regret. LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-15-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Richard Cory
By Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM

I do not think there are many do overs in life. There is nothing we can do to change the past. I think we should neither regret the past or fear the past but learn the lessons from the past to direct our here now so maybe in the future there will be less regrets.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Never understood the people who say "No regrets. I wouldn't change a thing". Never made a poor choice or hurt anyone their entire life? Or just don't care if they did? I'd give the world for a few "do overs". But all you can do is try to make amends, vow to do better, and move on.

And I don't think god ordains everything you do. He gives us free will. He just forgives us when we err. I don't believe he causes our poor or evil choices. Otherwise there's your defense on a murder charge... "God ordained it". And no, murder isn't one of the things I regret. LOL
You're right. We have the power of choice thru free moral agency. What you have said is 100% accurate (scripturally too). But even through those bad choices I believe it all comes out for the better. All thing work together for good- doesn't mean all things are good. I would love some do-overs too- we all would. However, it's all worked for good, hence my paradigm.
Regrets:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/regret
I can't say I get depressed or dwell on former things that are now out of my control. There definitly should be a time you feel the pain of bad decisions- but for a healthy person, that should end and not carry on. We can use those things to change our future. Clique? Possibly. But in this case that's how I feel exactly.

Sorry for the derail- especially to our different believing forum friends.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
As for education being way overrated, all I can say is
I have not met a single educated person saying that he/she spent money for no reason and that what they did was overrated. I have, however, met numerous people with hardly any education, ie high school or less, saying that education is highly overrated and it isn't worth the investment.
The fact that it is not for everybody is debatable. Really depends on when you draw the line.
But this is beyond the discussion of the topic at hand.
I stand my previous comment.

Agreed. There are many people in my wife's extended family with higher education, ie: chartered accountants, masters degrees in education, dentists and lawyers. NONE of them regret putting in the time and effort to get where they are. They have jobs that are way easier on the body than trades, better working conditions, usually more money, more vacation time.
If I could do it over I would have stayed as far away from trades as I could get, but being raised in the sticks by simple people who knew nothing and cared even less about education I guess we're doing OK. I encourage my kids to get out of trades but they won't listen...........
Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Agreed. There are many people in my wife's extended family with higher education, ie: chartered accountants, masters degrees in education, dentists and lawyers. NONE of them regret putting in the time and effort to get where they are. They have jobs that are way easier on the body than trades, better working conditions, usually more money, more vacation time.
If I could do it over I would have stayed as far away from trades as I could get, but being raised in the sticks by simple people who knew nothing and cared even less about education I guess we're doing OK. I encourage my kids to get out of trades but they won't listen...........
That's different. In one sentence your pro-education. In another your against it. Or, do you not consider "trades" as an education.
For every one accountant, teacher, dentist or lawyer, I would wager there are 3-4 people that started with these goals, but failed to finish. I.E. waste of time and money.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I think it more appropriate to say couldn't change a thing. I have made lots of poor choices including those that hurt others, Not saying would've, could've should've does not mean just don't care. It does not mean forgot, it just means that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change the past but there is a lot that can be learned from the past. No point dwelling on do overs cause they will never happen. Best to channel effort toward not repeating the insanity of the past.

Accepting things that one can not change is called serenity. Accepting does not mean not caring.

Changing things one can and should change often takes courage.

Knowing the difference between things that need acceptance and things that can change with courage is called wisdom.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think it more appropriate to say couldn't change a thing. I have made lots of poor choices including those that hurt others, Not saying would've, could've should've does not mean just don't care. It does not mean forgot, it just means that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change the past but there is a lot that can be learned from the past. No point dwelling on do overs cause they will never happen. Best to channel effort toward not repeating the insanity of the past.

Accepting things that one can not change is called serenity. Accepting does not mean not caring.

Changing things one can and should change often takes courage.

Knowing the difference between things that need acceptance and things that can change with courage is called wisdom.

I agree with everything you said. But I've still heard people say they wouldn't change a thing. But maybe those that actually mean that are pretty rare.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Default Interesting thread .

The two possibly worse human traits are Envy and Selfpity .
I can assure anyone that being a divine instrument is a difficult
task . Like most I made many youthful mistakes , uncaring at
times but time has a way of dealing with these events . I come
from a familly of very angry self righteous men .
I watch for these , all people that are important to me , tell me
they love me and I reciprocate . I wouldn't change a thing and
I'm going hunting .
Old 08-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
I come from a familly of very angry self righteous men .
Welcome to AO! You've found a home!

I'm joking... sorta. LOL
Old 08-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I agree with everything you said. But I've still heard people say they wouldn't change a thing. But maybe those that actually mean that are pretty rare.
There's not a person alive that could say they "wouldn't change a thing" unless maybe delusional. But to say "I have no regrets" -in my opinion and by definition is something completely different....

Buuuuut do you regret missing that 206 walleye day ?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post

Buuuuut do you regret missing that 206 walleye day ?
LOL I've never had a 206 walleye decade.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
LOL I've never had a 206 walleye decade.
Your day's coming haha
Old 08-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
As for education being way overrated, all I can say is
I have not met a single educated person saying that he/she spent money for no reason and that what they did was overrated. I have, however, met numerous people with hardly any education, ie high school or less, saying that education is highly overrated and it isn't worth the investment.
The fact that it is not for everybody is debatable. Really depends on when you draw the line.
But this is beyond the discussion of the topic at hand.
I stand my previous comment.
That would be an interesting thread topic. I bet you are 100% correct.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Would never have had a hack doctor mess with my brain ... shoulda just slowed down my whisky .
Atleast after your labotomy you were still able to post pictures on the world wide interweb
Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
This explains a lot.
Quote:
Atleast after your labotomy you were still able to post pictures on the world wide interweb
You had to take a second poke at the OP because the first one didn't get any recognition?

My regret, not investing in Pason when it first came out. All of us were looking at it and talking about how it was going to take off and be the next best thing. As predicted that thing sailed up up and away.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You had to take a second poke at the OP because the first one didn't get any recognition?
Actually bb356 did respond by posting a picture(as usual) hence my second post.

Try and keep up.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:21 PM

How do you learn without making bad choices. I think we all have regrets, I know I do. They remind me like a neon sign at times. Learn from them and move on.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Actually bb356 did respond by posting a picture(as usual) hence my second post.

Try and keep up.
Don't worry about me keeping up bud. I'm already at the top of the hill looking down at you. Don't worry it will "click" soon.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I didn't say I liked all of it... to give you an example: I had a shot at a doe at 50 yards. My arrow deflected off an unseen branch and went low, just cutting brisket. Felt like crap, looked the rest of the day. Went back the next day to look, and killed a moose just a little farther down the same trail. Doe recovered fine and had twins the next spring. So it all worked out. The only thing different is I know how it all worked out.

Same goes for relationships, and life in general. Maybe you did something wrong, and you learned not to do that, so you ended up in a better place. Or maybe hurting someone or being hurt kept you or them from worse. Maybe that hot little blonde would have made a great wife, or maybe she would have taken the house and your best friend. You will rarely ever know. I suppose smoking or drinking could be different. I can personally say there is no do-over I'd want, because I've dodged enough bullets to know I am lucky to be where I am. If I wished for a do-over, it might just put one of those bullets in the x ring. So yeah, no regrets.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That would be an interesting thread topic. I bet you are 100% correct.
You would lose that bet.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
.... no operation ...... prescription medication ... the sad part is meeting other people that have had the misfortune of listening to him
Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Bergerboy;3603783]You had to take a second poke at the OP because the first one didn't get any recognition?

No sweat ...
Old 08-16-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I regret not picking the right lotto tickets!

BW
Yes.
I remember when the Lotto's started to come out...I always thought about picking the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,&6. Simple, too easy. Never did pick those numbers.
A fall day in 1987 those numbers were picked...

Other than that, I am what I am, can't change it so no point dreaming...except for that f__king lotto thing!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
Yes.
I remember when the Lotto's started to come out...I always thought about picking the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,&6. Simple, too easy. Never did pick those numbers.
A fall day in 1987 those numbers were picked...

Other than that, I am what I am, can't change it so no point dreaming...except for that f__king lotto thing!
Quick pic's arn't giving me any luck either