Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Default New Traeger or something else?

I picked up a Traeger Junior Elite this spring and feel in love with it, so much that I am upgrading to a bigger one. I am looking at getting the Pro 22, however I am also going to look at Lousiana Grill and Green Mountain Grill. I have done my research on the 3 and still leaning towards the Traeger, probably cause its what I know. I would like to here people opinions on ones they have used, reliability, temperature control, maintenance etc. My budgets in that 1100 - 1200 dollar range so I don't need to hear about Yoder and other better pellet smoker

TUNA
Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

traegars are absolute garbage when you do a direct comparison to louisiana grills. I stopped by costco the other day when traegar was there and even with costco prices the traegars cost more then the louisiana grills, they dont get nearly as hot, they werent expandable like louisiana grills and they are smaller grill surfaces.

Why spend more on a traegar and get less options then the louisiana? Its a simple decision between those 2 grills.

Dont get me wrong traegars are great but when comparing directly to louisiana they are no where near as good.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 PM

2nd for Louisiana grills.

Traegers were amazing when they were made in Oregon now that they are from china, not so much.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Default Louisiana Grills

I've had my LG for 2 years now and I've come across a few issues. One call to the Edmonton number and they've sent me parts and even rushed them over in 24 hours so I didn't miss a big event I was cooking for. Their customer service is second to none, I wouldn't hesitate buying another.

They also have slightly dinged units available, if you check Edmonton kijiji they have a list or you can call them directly and they'll let you know. Pretty decent discounts!

The issues were due to very cold temp usage, not poor quality and they still had options available for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberteh View Post
2nd for Louisiana grills.

Traegers were amazing when they were made in Oregon now that they are from china, not so much.
I've got one of the old Traeger's (357 Mag.) and there is some serious iron put into the construction. I've had it for 12 years and not a hiccup. I can still get mine to 550 which isn't pizza temp but will cook a steak. My neighbor just bought a new Pro 22. Nice but he can't get the temp past 425. Pretty flimsy construction in my mind. I've never looked into a Lousisiana but lots of people I know really like them.

I know you are into the pellet bbq's but if I did it all over again I would just stick with my Big Green Egg. We cooked pizza last week and I wrapped the temp guage past 750 easily. Cooked only 8 pizza's but it sure does the job on low and slow or high forno temps.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:31 PM

I'll second the ceramic grills. Really like my Primo Oval XL.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
I've got one of the old Traeger's (357 Mag.) and there is some serious iron put into the construction. I've had it for 12 years and not a hiccup. I can still get mine to 550 which isn't pizza temp but will cook a steak. My neighbor just bought a new Pro 22. Nice but he can't get the temp past 425. Pretty flimsy construction in my mind. I've never looked into a Lousisiana but lots of people I know really like them.

I know you are into the pellet bbq's but if I did it all over again I would just stick with my Big Green Egg. We cooked pizza last week and I wrapped the temp guage past 750 easily. Cooked only 8 pizza's but it sure does the job on low and slow or high forno temps.
I like the Big Green Egg as well, but I like the idea of having several types of cookers. I have a couple Bradley smokers that by themselves I am not overly keen on but used in conjunction with my egg, the results are awesome.
I cook prime rib roast and very thick steaks low and slow in the Bradley with a bit of smoke then just before they are done I throw them on the egg at pit of hell temperature to finish the surface. For me the result is better than doing the sear first and then roasting slow.

The OP asked if he should get something else. I say sure! Look for something different from what you got!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMZ...#t=586.9150208
absolutely love my Rec Tec RT 680. No comparison to the Traegars as I know people who have them and they are all envious of my Rec Tec.
If money is not an issue, the Yoder is the Mother ship of Pellet grills in my opinion.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Keep the Treg you have now, get an Egg to go along with it. Very different strengths and abilities that will work excellent together. I don't see you gaining much by just switching to a Louisianan or Green Mountain. When buying the first one, then try to pick the best, once you already ave one that is really decent quality, not so much do you gain unless you go WAY up market.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post

I have the same 357. Love it. Had to change a few parts on it in the last 11 years. I couple fuses and I upgraded to the new digital controller with the dual heat temp prongs. When I go for a new one it will be the Louisiana Grill. New traegers are pretty flimsy
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 AM

Another nice thing about the better louisiana country smoker series is they are made in west edmonton.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:10 AM

My brother in law has a GMG and it doesn't have a smoke setting. Just the lowest temp setting which is 150. I love my Traeger. She really huffs and puffs the smoke and being able to adjust the P-setting to lengthen or shorted the time that the auger sits idle between cycles is great! I can smoke down to 90
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM

I chose the LG over the Traeger about 3 years ago mainly because you can sear meat with an open flame whereas the Traeger can not. Besides that, my LG was made in Canada. It's a Canadian company and some grills are made in Canada and some are outsourced to China.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

I have the GMG Jim Bowie, and love it. I have no experience with other brands, but would have no reason to choose a different one.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AO Sponsor

I too went with the Louisiana recently and an super happy! Works very well, quality is great and built in Canada (Edmonton to be precise)... No regrets if you are looking for simplicity and functionality. I still like my stick burner but the pellet grill lets me sleep! lol!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 AM
AO Sponsor

edit double post
Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I have the GMG Jim Bowie, and love it. I have no experience with other brands, but would have no reason to choose a different one.
I have a Jim Bowie, Davey Crockett and a Daniel Boone GMG as well as a 680 yoder, I go to the jim Bowie everytime but Ive had it the longest so I may be just used to it more. I'm sure if you learn to use what ever you buy you'll be happy.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

During the winter do you guys store these units inside?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
During the winter do you guys store these units inside?
Never have yet.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Never have yet.
Perfect thanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Just what I was told, if made in China, slow parts, may be fine at the start, but will slow down. If made in Canada, parts will always be available. I have a Napoleon NG, have had it for 20 years, stainless steel grill, and have never spent a dime on it. Just my 2 cents.