Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Do I have a leg to stand on

Looking for some advice.

My wife and I just had our 3rd son and are having to trade in a little SUV for a minivan. We worked out a deal with a local dealership about a month ago for a 2018 Honda Odyssey. After some negotiations, I told him if he could get the payments down to $220 b/w on the term we'd put the deposit down immediately. He said he could do that. So we put down a deposit to hold the vehicle.

Fast forward to today. I go in there to pick up the van. He tells me he accidentally used the wrong interest rate. The payment increased by $8 b/w. He suggested we split the difference. I told him he should try to make the original price work. He said he'd talk to the manager. Next he comes back and says he used the wrong trade in value for my SUV too. Payment goes up another $8 b/w.

So this is all...words I can't say. Not really sure how to proceed at this point. Any thoughts??

Thanks (and sorry for any typos),

Carter
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Looking for some advice.

My wife and I just had our 3rd son and are having to trade in a little SUV for a minivan. We worked out a deal with a local dealership about a month ago for a 2018 Honda Odyssey. After some negotiations, I told him if he could get the payments down to $220 b/w on the term we'd put the deposit down immediately. He said he could do that. So we put down a deposit to hold the vehicle.

Fast forward to today. I go in there to pick up the van. He tells me he accidentally used the wrong interest rate. The payment increased by $8 b/w. He suggested we split the difference. I told him he should try to make the original price work. He said he'd talk to the manager. Next he comes back and says he used the wrong trade in value for my SUV too. Payment goes up another $8 b/w.

So this is all...words I can't say. Not really sure how to proceed at this point. Any thoughts??

Carter

I would tell him to give you your money back and stick it!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Play hardball. Walk away and wait. They will call ypu for a week. Dont budge though. That was your requirement so stuck to it if they cant meet it go some where else.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Give it up and keep shopping. You are not bound by that contract.
I'll bet they won't let you walk away from the original deal.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Which dealership ... My brother just trade in and is waiting on a 2018 odyssey .
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Tell them thanks for wasting your time, and you'd like your deposit back.
What the f is wrong with car salesmen?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Greasy. Get your money back and walk away.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 PM

Well I did just walk away already. My trouble is I've got a wife and 3 kids at home and we now have no way to get ourselves around (we still have the old car, but no way to get all of us to one spot at the same time...). And the fact we'd been waiting on this damned thing for a month doesn't help that.

I don't doubt I could get the deposit back. But this...more words I can't say...is just too greasy. I expect to leave a car dealership with a certain amount of a sheen...but this is nuts to me.

The other side is that this WAS a very good deal. At least relative to every other dealer around Edmonton that I talked to. (Not a dealer in the city and I'm not going to name them...yet).

I'm thinking I'm going to be calling Honda tomorrow and see what they have to say. Not sure what all they can do about it but I'll have to find out.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Just wondering, was anything in writing about the deal?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Reminds me of when I thought I had bought an Escape from Denny Andrews Ford.

We had the price agreed on, financing was approved, paperwork signed and they just needed a couple days to get it delivered since it was at another location. It was either the next day or the day after I get a phone call saying that the other location just sold the car and I wouldn't be able to get it...

I had signed paperwork with the vin # etc saying I was the owner. I was fairly annoyed with them though so I just said whatever and walked away from it and went and bought a Rav4 instead.

I never got another call from them and they didn't even try to find me a similar car. I think someone got in trouble for accepting too good of a deal so they forced me to back out of it.

Now back to your situation which sounds like it might be similar. I assume you filled out paperwork when putting the deposit down. Pull out your paperwork and see what you agreed to.

If the details are clear(agreed price, financing rate, trade in value etc) and there is no fine print saying they are able to make changes and they refuse to honour that legal agreement then you can demand them to give you your deposit back.

If the paperwork isn't clear on the agreed upon financing rate/trade in value or if there is some wording to allow them to make these changes then you are in a bit of a pickle. You can try to play hardball and hope they just give up on the deal otherwise you will need to suck it up and pay the extra fees or cancel and give up your deposit.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Just wondering, was anything in writing about the deal?
I thought I'd included this in the initial posting but I see I didn't. They made an initial offer that worked out to $229 b/w. I have that in an official offer, with the interest rate and what they'd give me for my trade-in included.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the $220 b/w that he'd agreed to in writing. I asked for it but it never came. Didn't bother to push it... Stupid stupid stupid...

I'm HOPING the initial offer that shows the interest rate and trade in value would be enough... But I'm not sure.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Reminds me of when I thought I had bought an Escape from Denny Andrews Ford.

We had the price agreed on, financing was approved, paperwork signed and they just needed a couple days to get it delivered since it was at another location. It was either the next day or the day after I get a phone call saying that the other location just sold the car and I wouldn't be able to get it...

I had signed paperwork with the vin # etc saying I was the owner. I was fairly annoyed with them though so I just said whatever and walked away from it and went and bought a Rav4 instead.

I never got another call from them and they didn't even try to find me a similar car. I think someone got in trouble for accepting too good of a deal so they forced me to back out of it.

Now back to your situation which sounds like it might be similar. I assume you filled out paperwork when putting the deposit down. Pull out your paperwork and see what you agreed to.

If the details are clear(agreed price, financing rate, trade in value etc) and there is no fine print saying they are able to make changes and they refuse to honour that legal agreement then you can demand them to give you your deposit back.

If the paperwork isn't clear on the agreed upon financing rate/trade in value or if there is some wording to allow them to make these changes then you are in a bit of a pickle. You can try to play hardball and hope they just give up on the deal otherwise you will need to suck it up and pay the extra fees or cancel and give up your deposit.
Yeah I suspect you're right. I didn't get much for paperwork with the deposit. Essentially just a receipt. Really not my brightest moment.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like you got screwed. Don't feel bad, your in good company. What normal, hardworking honest person with 3 children has the time and technical smarts to read pages of fine print on the bottom line? At least it's only 16.00 a month. Could have been worse.
Car salesmen, laywers, politicians, bankers. What would we do without them?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Sounds to me like you got screwed. Don't feel bad, your in good company. What normal, hardworking honest person with 3 children has the time and technical smarts to read pages of fine print on the bottom line? At least it's only 16.00 a month. Could have been worse.
I can still just walk away. Nothing's been signed. That was the weirdest part. I had been trying for a while to get this finalized in writing (it's a substantially better offer than anyone else could give) and he wasn't willing to do it "until I and my wife had test drove it".... I WANTED the pages and pages of fine print as I am actually decent at reading through all that bs.

As of now, I don't feel I'm stuck with the higher payments (again, NOTHING signed). But I want the deal I agreed to. Pretty sure that isn't happening now though.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
We would walk to court and be found guilty of tax evasion for keeping our money buried underground in tobacco cans.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Default My odyssey!!!

Accept it!!! Pay the extra for the b/w payments. I got this Honda brand new in 2012. Zero Kms. This is what a Honda can do!!! You won't regret it.😎
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1360.jpg (59.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Get your deposit and run, lots of others that will take your money.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I can still just walk away. Nothing's been signed. That was the weirdest part. I had been trying for a while to get this finalized in writing (it's a substantially better offer than anyone else could give) and he wasn't willing to do it "until I and my wife had test drove it".... I WANTED the pages and pages of fine print as I am actually decent at reading through all that bs.

As of now, I don't feel I'm stuck with the higher payments (again, NOTHING signed). But I want the deal I agreed to. Pretty sure that isn't happening now though.
If you haven't signed anything at all then you only have one option to try to get the deal you want and that is to play hard ball and demand they accept the verbally agreed upon details or refund your deposit. Complaining to managers, Honda, BBB etc or getting a lawyer involved is useless because you don't have a contract.

With no signed paperwork if they refuse to give your money back(after getting a manager involved) then assuming you paid with either a debit or credit card get your bank/credit card company to dispute the charge. Without signed paperwork they don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Stay away from 'go auto' dealerships. Crooks.

As for the interest rate i know for a fact they can move that number. Trust me. Dm me if you want to know how i know.

If you walk away because of that they will make it work for you. If not....another dealership will.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 PM

I never work with dealerships that want a deposit. Most change there tune when you walk out as they ask for one. Bought many vehicles and have yet to put a deposit down. Less hassle if something like this happens, then they cant give you grief with getting money back
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Drag their name through the mud, we bought a truck a year ago and they agreed on 540/month, came back and said they made an error on the computer and 585 was the best. The wife freaked out and we left,she wrote about 10 reviews about what happened, BBB, YELP etc.

Got a call the next day at 4pm from the regional manager, got the price we had talked about and free tonnou cover. Then they gave us 2 more years of warranty.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I never work with dealerships that want a deposit. Most change there tune when you walk out as they ask for one. Bought many vehicles and have yet to put a deposit down. Less hassle if something like this happens, then they cant give you grief with getting money back
Agreed. I am very lucky with our superb local dealership here. Hand shake or a call, actually, bought my last 2 trucks over texts.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 PM

I would want nothing to do with that salesman and dealership. Think about how it's gonna be if and when something goes wrong and you need warranty work done?
I hate being ripped off and I hate being lied even more.
You got lied to and if you buy the car on their terms now you're getting ripped off.
As someone said, stay the F away from GO auto. Unless you like paying about 5% more than what a non go auto would charge you.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
yup
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Looking for some advice.

Carter

If you feel misled, ask for your deposit back, and go elsewhere, before you do so, make sure that you have the spec sheet for the van you are after, so another dealership can get you the exact same unit. It is completely illegal to keep your deposit in Alberta, but most people do not know this! If you have a problem getting your deposit back, contact AMVIC! Just the threat of AMVIC is enough to make any dealership cringe!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Take your down payment and walk.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Is the vehicle worth the extra $416/yr? If so, take the deal and tell 'em you're never coming back. Not for oil changes, maintenance, whatever. They broke your deal and trust, so you're not going to that greasy dealership again. You'll get service done somewhere else. And you'll tell all your friends and acquaintances about this dealership.

If the vehicle isn't worth the extra $416/yr, ask for your deposit back, and walk away, and find another vehicle somewhere else. When this dealership calls you back, tell 'em to stop calling because they broke your deal and trust so you're not going to that greasy dealership again. And you'll be telling all your friends and acquaintances about this dealership.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Leave not the kind of place you want to deal with what next if something goes wrong with vehicle warantee claim they will be greasy there to.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Looking for some advice.

Carter
I'm going to take a not so wild stab in the dark and say you're talking about Alberta Honda? Take the deal you have to Sherwood Honda, I bet they match it and treat you right too.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Payment goes up another $8 b/w

You're bitching about 20. a month ? If things are that tight, better be considering another option, like a good dependable used vehicle.

Grizz