Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Saskatchewan bound!

All loaded up, I'll work the night and then we're of for 12 days. Super stoked.

DSCF1531 by , on Flickr
Old 07-03-2020, 03:08 PM

Have a great trip, I look forward to your story when you return. Take lots of bug spray, you'll need it.

BW
Old 07-03-2020, 03:40 PM

X2 Have loads of fun

If you tie a bar across the bows and back ends put a platform in the middle you could have your home made pontoon boat and a sun deck or stand up casting platform
Old 07-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Enjoy your trip!! Lots of fish and photos!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-03-2020, 04:22 PM

Cool rig Bushleague!

My kids are a couple years away from being old enough for a trip like this, very curious to hear what adventures your gang gets into.

Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 04:41 PM

Best of luck
Old 07-03-2020, 07:11 PM

Have a great trip.I know how the trip cant get there quick enough and then it goes by way too fast.Enjoy every minute of your adventure and good luck.IM missing my yearly Mirond Lake outing so im jealous!Have a safe travel.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Cool rig Bushleague!

My kids are a couple years away from being old enough for a trip like this, very curious to hear what adventures your gang gets into.

Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A long time ago, in a far away galaxy, me and my wife spent 3 months wandering the back roads of BC, Yukon, and Alaska in a rig much like that. We caught a few nice fish but mostly we just fished for our dinner, drove a little when we felt like it, and did lots of paddling and exploring. It was the most enjoyable trip I've ever done, and to be honest its kind of warped my view of what life is supposed to be like ever since.

Hopefully I'll be able to re-create the experience for my kids. Not expecting trophy fish, just a good taste of footloose freedom to screw the kids up.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Report when back....pics.....write up.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Report when back....pics.....write up.....
What he said...
Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Were you heading north towards buffalo narrows today? Pretty sure I met you on the highway just south of beauval.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Were you heading north towards buffalo narrows today? Pretty sure I met you on the highway just south of beauval.
That would have been me, not too many rigs that look quite like mine LOL.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
That would have been me, not too many rigs that look quite like mine LOL.
Lol that's exactly what I figured. We spent a few days at la plonge saw you on our way out.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Lol that's exactly what I figured. We spent a few days at la plonge saw you on our way out.
How did you do at La Plonge? Man those horseflys were something else! Having spent a lot of time working in the Wabasca/ Red Earth areas, I can still say that was the worst I've ever seen them.

With the canoe's we were just out after pike, the fishing was a somewhat slow but we did get a couple around the 36" mark. Someday I'd like to go back and put in a more concentrated effort.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
How did you do at La Plonge? Man those horseflys were something else! Having spent a lot of time working in the Wabasca/ Red Earth areas, I can still say that was the worst I've ever seen them.

With the canoe's we were just out after pike, the fishing was a somewhat slow but we did get a couple around the 36" mark. Someday I'd like to go back and put in a more concentrated effort.
Friday and Saturday were solid days.....multiple doubles trolling in 50fow and a decent average size (6-8lb with a couple pushing double digits). Lost what would have been a high teens probably 16-18lb laker at the boat. Sunday the weather blew in (late Saturday actually).....we got stuck seeking shelter in a bay for 3 hours then headed in once the white caps dropped below 4ft lol. Monday morning we picked up a couple more lakers but barometric pressure had gone through the roof and the fish were super lazy. Didnt do any pike fishing.....can catch those anywhere.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Friday and Saturday were solid days.....multiple doubles trolling in 50fow and a decent average size (6-8lb with a couple pushing double digits). Lost what would have been a high teens probably 16-18lb laker at the boat. Sunday the weather blew in (late Saturday actually).....we got stuck seeking shelter in a bay for 3 hours then headed in once the white caps dropped below 4ft lol. Monday morning we picked up a couple more lakers but barometric pressure had gone through the roof and the fish were super lazy. Didnt do any pike fishing.....can catch those anywhere.

Ya, I've got issues... if theres half a chance of catching a big pike I wont even bother fishing for anything else. I did have a smallish lake trout follow my spoon in and hang out under my canoe for a bit one evening. I was still inside the islands, nowhere near any deep water, kind of surprized me. Couldn't get it to bite though.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Ya, I've got issues... if theres half a chance of catching a big pike I wont even bother fishing for anything else. I did have a smallish lake trout follow my spoon in and hang out under my canoe for a bit one evening. I was still inside the islands, nowhere near any deep water, kind of surprized me. Couldn't get it to bite though.
Oh trust me....pike is my fish of choice as well....but if I'm driving 500km to a lake trout lake that's what gets my focus...lots of closer lakes I can get 40" pike on a fairly regular basis. We were watching 1-2lb Lakers swim through the docks still while we were there. Winter time they fill that bay though which is surprising seeing as I dont think its deeper then 12ft anywhere in there.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Youre one of the few that ive heard talk about barometric pressure! Please expand on that a little if you dont mind. Do you have a gauge of some sort, whats good, whats bad???

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Youre one of the few that ive heard talk about barometric pressure! Please expand on that a little if you dont mind. Do you have a gauge of some sort, whats good, whats bad???

Thanks!
Pressure affects the swim bladder.....low low pressure is bad....drives fish deep they dont feed as much. High pressure is bad too but not as bad as low. Usually pressure falls before a storm front...best time for fishing. Storm moves in pressure is low....bad time for fishing. Storm moves out pressure starts to rise....ok time for fishing....pressure peaks after storm front....bad time for fishing lol. We had falling pressure friday and Saturday morning.....fishing was great. Saturday night and all of Sunday was super low fish weren't biting as much as the wind and rain moved in. By Monday morning the storm had passed and pressure had peaked....fishing was slow. Had we been there Tuesday Wednesday the pressure would have fallen back down to normal and I suspect fishing would have been better.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Pressure affects the swim bladder.....low low pressure is bad....drives fish deep they dont feed as much. High pressure is bad too but not as bad as low. Usually pressure falls before a storm front...best time for fishing. Storm moves in pressure is low....bad time for fishing. Storm moves out pressure starts to rise....ok time for fishing....pressure peaks after storm front....bad time for fishing lol. We had falling pressure friday and Saturday morning.....fishing was great. Saturday night and all of Sunday was super low fish weren't biting as much as the wind and rain moved in. By Monday morning the storm had passed and pressure had peaked....fishing was slow. Had we been there Tuesday Wednesday the pressure would have fallen back down to normal and I suspect fishing would have been better.
I've always found much the same thing, before a storm is usually good, fishing right through the cold front is often worthwhile, fishing right after is usually bad.

I've also found that river fish are less affected by it than fish in lakes, though they may also be affected by the associated change in water levels and clarity. Oddly enough I've found that Pike are often more affected by a cold front than most other species.

So despite my love of pike, if a cold front has come through I will often opt to visit a trout pond, or soak bait in a particularly nice river hole for walleye right after a cold front.