Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Old Weaver scopes

Was given a couple scopes ,a steel 1" K2.5X Weaver El Paso Texas with no crosshair foggy lenses and a Weaver G4 steel 3/4" same shape better lens.Are they worth fixing or paperweights? I know Trace used to repair some stuff.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:16 AM

I've thrown quite a few of them in the garbage. Years ago when you bought a used gun a lot of them would have those weavers on them.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 AM

I have always found the old steel tube weavers to be indestructible.
I currently have a k4, and k6 on rifles that have been used every season for twenty years and haven’t missed a beat.

I have a k2.5 that will be heading to Trace for a rebuild next week as the lenses have yellowed....
Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Default maybe

I'll get Trace to look at the 1" 2.5x one and see if it's fixable? The adjustment turrets are rather primitive.Have to find a contact # first.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM

The Old Weaver steel body scopes make a nice addition if you are trying to put together a period piece along the lines of a pre 64 model 70. With respect to the glass, new scopes have MUCH better clarity, coatings and overall light gathering. Even in their day they were only a mid range scope. Back then the top of the pile was German glass like Zeiss and Leica, followed by Redfield, then Leupold. The Guy that started Burris, Don Burris, back in 1971 used to work for Redfield and wanted to make a great scope at a lower price point than Redfield offered.

Unless you are looking to match the scope to a period Husky, Winchester or the like, I would not be spending a lot of money getting one fixed. Trace does do great work and is quite reasonable. Phone is 403-651-0793 Email is Phil@tracescoperepair.ca He is located in Cochrane He fixes Weaver, Redfield, Scope Chief and a bunch of other older scopes.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Old Weaver steel body scopes make a nice addition if you are trying to put together a period piece along the lines of a pre 64 model 70. With respect to the glass, new scopes have MUCH better clarity, coatings and overall light gathering. Even in their day they were only a mid range scope. Back then the top of the pile was German glass like Zeiss and Leica, followed by Redfield, then Leupold. The Guy that started Burris, Don Burris, back in 1971 used to work for Redfield and wanted to make a great scope at a lower price point than Redfield offered.

Unless you are looking to match the scope to a period Husky, Winchester or the like, I would not be spending a lot of money getting one fixed. Trace does do great work and is quite reasonable. Phone is 403-651-0793 Email is Phil@tracescoperepair.ca He is located in Cochrane He fixes Weaver, Redfield, Scope Chief and a bunch of other older scopes.
I've got an old WW2 era Winchester with a B.Nickel and Marburg scope. If I remember right its 2 .5 x.
Its German so I'm thinking it must be older than the gun its on because they wouldn't have been selling us sporting scopes during the war. Ever heard of them? Its a good quality scope.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Most German Glass was very well built, still is. They never bought into the build to a lower price point idea that hit in Canada and the States as a result of the average working Joe being a hunter too. The guys that hunted in Europe were very well healed and had lots of money; price was not a major consideration. Still true there today.

I peeled this off the Web cause it was faster than typing it.

Quote:
The B Nickel business started in 1926 or there about . Mr Nickel worked before that for Carl Zeis in Jena and thought that he could do better and had the time on his side with the lurking WWO two . After the war they started with producing hunting scopes who were of very good quality . In the 60 the company was taken over by an other German company called Hertel and Reuss . The take over was because ther was nobody to take over from Mr Nickel to keep the business in the family . Hertel and Reuss kept it going untilll they stopped in the 80 but always kept a very high standard of quality also to there own name . In 1996 the name and rights were bought by an other German company and the started to produce high end top quality scopes under the name Nickel and still do . They only bought the name and not the knowledge and plans or details of the scopes under the name B Nickels , so there is nothing left of that . There are still a good number of the old scopes around and they are very good but the whole way of scope manufacturing has changed.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Hi Harold, if you are feeling adventurous I think I have some replacement crosshairs for your 3/4" Weaver that you can have if you decide to explore the innards of the scope. Might be worth a try before it heads to the garbage can. David.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Default kind of you

Thanx