Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Default Trailer Tux vs Bow Buddy vs RockGARD

Ive had my boat for 7 years now and the Trailer Tux on its trailer has just about had it. I will be replacing it but I'm not sure what with. Can you boys chime in on what has or hasn't been a good product? I am happy with the Trailer Tux bud I'm wondering if there is a more comparable and less expensive way to go.....thanks guys
Old 07-13-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneeranger View Post
Ive had my boat for 7 years now and the Trailer Tux on its trailer has just about had it. I will be replacing it but I'm not sure what with. Can you boys chime in on what has or hasn't been a good product? I am happy with the Trailer Tux bud I'm wondering if there is a more comparable and less expensive way to go.....thanks guys
There's a few other options and some shameless Trailer Tux rip offs out there, but the Tux is still the best one on the market in my opinion. Bob has been constantly improving and refining the design, and the service alone is worth it.

The first thing I'd do is contact Bob at Trailer Tux. His customer service is absolutely second to none, and I'm guessing he'll be more than happy to work with you to get your current Tux back to 100%, likely at a fraction of the cost of a new replacement or one of the other other options.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM

I have a rock guard and had to make modifications to make it do a better job
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 AM

My previous boat, I ran the Bow Buddy and not one single rock chip after 8 years. The screen itself was still in great shape.
When I purchased a new boat, I tried the Rockguard. The product itself looked like good quality and offered good protection. But I could not get the guard to fit properly on the trailer. Spare tire and jack (welded) caused problems. Had dealer help out but eventually returned.
Went back to BowBuddy and it works great. It definitely covers anything my truck may spit out the back. After 2 years of usage, no marks/chips on the bow of the boat. I used the brace bar kit instead of the bungee cord, which makes it more stable. It was around $700ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190525_165653 (4).jpg (66.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
My previous boat, I ran the Bow Buddy and not one single rock chip after 8 years. The screen itself was still in great shape.
When I purchased a new boat, I tried the Rockguard. The product itself looked like good quality and offered good protection. But I could not get the guard to fit properly on the trailer. Spare tire and jack (welded) caused problems. Had dealer help out but eventually returned.
Went back to BowBuddy and it works great. It definitely covers anything my truck may spit out the back. After 2 years of usage, no marks/chips on the bow of the boat. I used the brace bar kit instead of the bungee cord, which makes it more stable. It was around $700ish.
Where did you pick up a bowbuddy?
Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Where did you pick up a bowbuddy?
Made in the Shuswap area and have dealers all over. I just called around locally to find the best pricing.
Their website has a dealer locator

https://www.trailer-rockguard.com/
Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Made in the Shuswap area and have dealers all over. I just called around locally to find the best pricing.
Their website has a dealer locator

https://www.trailer-rockguard.com/
Who was the best pricing in red deer area
Old 07-14-2020, 10:45 AM

At the time, went to Boat Mart. It's a fricken mess in that shop, but they seem to have something of everything hiding in there.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Trailer Tux exceptional service

Bob with Trailer Tux made my day!! My protector was in need of replacement parts and repair so with out skipping a beat Bob offers to send me the replacement parts free of charge and says to send the screen his way for quality repairs when my season is over, top notch customer service right there guys!!! If anyone is need of protective parts for boats while trailering look no further than Trailer Tux.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneeranger View Post
Bob with Trailer Tux made my day!! My protector was in need of replacement parts and repair so with out skipping a beat Bob offers to send me the replacement parts free of charge and says to send the screen his way for quality repairs when my season is over, top notch customer service right there guys!!! If anyone is need of protective parts for boats while trailering look no further than Trailer Tux.
Yep.

He's the best.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the tip Walleedude, much appreciated!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
I have a rock guard and had to make modifications to make it do a better job
I had to do the same to my RockGARD to get it to fit nice without a ton of room to flap around. And lots of repairs along the way, the tension rope that runs along the top had been a non-stop issue until I went to a coated steel cable and turnbuckles.

Much like the OP's Tux, it is pretty much shot after 7 years. I think if I spend some time with the sewing machine over winter I can get a few more seasons out of it.

Not a bad product, it just hasn't suited my needs entirely. Decent protection if one is mainly highway with occasional gravel, but I am close to 50/50.

My next rock protection will be a Tux.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 PM

I opted to go a different direction .... went with Rock Tamers (integrated and adjustable mud flaps) that are installed in a few minutes and don't get in the way of the boat, the crank, the spare tire and stuff like that.

Unfortunately I put these on after I figured out I should have done it sooner, but been on a few long gravel road trips since and it's definitely working as there aren't any "new" marks (at least that I notice).

Bad news is, I have rear exhaust on the F150 and they would block the exhaust - worked great on my GMC, so consider that too.

On my garage wall they hang - so if you want to try them out, come by and grab them and see if you like them if you are in the Edmonton area.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:39 PM

I’ve been looking into this one few guys at the seasonal site have them.

https://www.alconplasticscorp.ca/pdf/boat-guard.pdf
Old 07-15-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post

I've seen those hard plastic ones before and I think the idea is good except, or unless, your spare tire, angle of the trailer or whatever makes it a pain to install and doesn't fit right and interferes - but would be pretty sturdy I bet.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I've seen those hard plastic ones before and I think the idea is good except, or unless, your spare tire, angle of the trailer or whatever makes it a pain to install and doesn't fit right and interferes - but would be pretty sturdy I bet.
Good call I’ll check that with my trailer..
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 PM

Have run the plastic Alcon ones on our 14's to go up into Northern Sask. Can't destroy them they take a beating n don't fail. They work on the smaller boats, but the bigger boats there not wide enough. While the bow is protected rocks bounce off the fenders n chip up side n back part of boat. Went with a trailer tux on the big Lund and would not buy anything else. Again Bobs service is great custom fit his design around my spare tire. No more rock chips for me. Cheap investment for the boat cost these days.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Alcon is awesome. I use it on mining roads, indestructible. I had one of the bug net ones before and destroyed it halfway up the road. You could shoot this thing and it would deflect it.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post

I run one of these and am real happy with it. With i would of put it on when i bought the boat
Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 PM

I’ve had a bow buddy on my river boat since 2010. After multiple repairs it finally completely fell apart on me this year. Like dragging on the highway. Couple of small rock chips on bow. But nothing bad for a river boat that see a lot of abuse and gravel roads.

The thing I liked about it was my windshield never got damaged over the years. My windshield is so close to the front of the boat compared to a lake boat.

Guess it wasn’t a bad product but probably would try a different brand next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Rock guard = NO

I had a bow buddy on my previous jetboat and It worked just great. New boat I tried the rock guard thinking it would be a better coverage yet and it was, but I am not impressed with the product. I find it has too many moving/loose parts and straps to ever get it the way you want it. UV breaks down the strings and straps and within 2 years (stored inside all winter) the cords started breaking and it has a metallic squeal to it since day one. Just the way the air sails through it. I for one will be going back to the bow buddy. Headed to BC this week so I’ll pick one up locally.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:20 AM

'I had to do the same to my RockGARD to get it to fit nice without a ton of room to flap around. And lots of repairs along the way, the tension rope that runs along the top had been a non-stop issue until I went to a coated steel cable and turnbuckles.

Much like the OP's Tux, it is pretty much shot after 7 years. I think if I spend some time with the sewing machine over winter I can get a few more seasons out of it.

Not a bad product, it just hasn't suited my needs entirely. Decent protection if one is mainly highway with occasional gravel, but I am close to 50/50.

My next rock protection will be a Tux.'

How good a Tux is? I'd like to try it either.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:33 PM

I've had a Rockgard on mine for two seasons now and zero issues. It fits nice. So far no stone chips. I store my boat indoors year round too so my rockgard isn't getting weathered to death which I believe helps alot.