Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Crowsnest River

My buddy and I drove by Lundbreck 2 weeks ago and the pristine waters were beckoning. We had to get home and were sad to leave this outstanding riparian ecosystem. Having said all this, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to launch some tiny imitative nymphs hoping to entice Onchoryonkiss mykiss or Lewisii Clarki. With all this outstanding weather (blame it on global warming or El Nino) perhaps the flyfishing could be worth the long trek from Calgary. Keep your lines tight, your nymphs on the bottom and the soft hackles afloat.
the holster
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the holster View Post
My buddy and I drove by Lundbreck 2 weeks ago and the pristine waters were beckoning. We had to get home and were sad to leave this outstanding riparian ecosystem. Having said all this, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to launch some tiny imitative nymphs hoping to entice Onchoryonkiss mykiss or Lewisii Clarki. With all this outstanding weather (blame it on global warming or El Nino) perhaps the flyfishing could be worth the long trek from Calgary. Keep your lines tight, your nymphs on the bottom and the soft hackles afloat.
the holster
Couldn't even try keeping count of the number of times I drove from Calgary to Crownest to get in 2 or 4 or more hours of fishing before heading back. Always worth it even to catch the evening hatch on the long days of daylight even after work. My favorite (next to a couple of Elk tributaries that I just can't bring myself to pay $40 per day to fish).
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Was there a couple of weeks ago. It was good. Fish were in the deep holes as the river is low. BE SNEAKY!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Thanks for the quick responses

Ya can't beat the camping in this area. I'm hoping maybe to catch some of these beauties on a dry this weekend. If not, I'm not adverse to chucking small nymphs at the wary leviathans of the deep. Any pattern suggestions or am I getting to greedy with my questions?
the holster
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Sanwaun (spelling?) worm with a beaded prince nymph dropper has always worked on the early Crow for me. The real fun starts when the water clears and the hatches begin. Heading to the gap is always great too. The Oldman can give up some large ones in the deep pools.

Last edited by drhook; 03-16-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added some
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Small midges tend to be the ticket for me. Size 18-24 black or green. Usually as a dropper to a sjw.