Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'd say selling out on a regular basis and being far and away the worst team of the last decade says something about their fan base.

And before one of you loyalists go posting about cup wins before color TV, McDavid, your new arena, or some other team in the league, it's coming from one of your own: "...now assured to have watched the poorest performing club of the entire decade...".

Link

They did this last year too didn't they? Wonder what it is, goalies can't maintain for the season, guys just lose the desire, takes other teams 30 games to remember how to shut down McDavid, other teams continue to mesh while the Oilers peak and then remain.....
Not just last year but multiple years. Can’t seem to put an entire season together. Chasser, Nuge, Nurse all career years last year and this year. Meeeahh. This team is way to loose at home. Seems like they head on the road and they are focused. Come home and Hockey is not important. It’s Brutal.

All the Fan support in the world and they lay an egg like that at home. Then you watch the post game interviews and it’s lip service as per usual. They just got destroyed by their provincial rivals and all they can muster up is “ yeah we talk about better starts forget that one and move on “.

No don’t forget it remember it well and don’t let it happen again. Being booed by your own fans should make you feel shame. Especially when it’s earned. Come to the rink prepared and ready to start on time. Don’t take shifts off and most certainly rely on others to be back defensively while your skating back straight legged.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'd say selling out on a regular basis and being far and away the worst team of the last decade says something about their fan base.

And before one of you loyalists go posting about cup wins before color TV, McDavid, your new arena, or some other team in the league, it's coming from one of your own: "...now assured to have watched the poorest performing club of the entire decade...".

Link

They did this last year too didn't they? Wonder what it is, goalies can't maintain for the season, guys just lose the desire, takes other teams 30 games to remember how to shut down McDavid, other teams continue to mesh while the Oilers peak and then remain.....
He is still around,I didn't think anyone read his columns anymore.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Whelp.... the kids enjoyed it regardless.

Deeply troubling....... the best this loyal fan can come up with is that the ‘plan’ is for next year when we got sumpin like 25million frees up.

Cut a bunch of dead weight.... and go fishing for some talent with $$.

Or

There’s injuries.... there’s exhaustion... and the goal is to ya get the last wildcard spot to placate the fans.

That’s all I got. There’s no real reason for any (Cept maybe Nuge), to have any serious loyalty to any team.

New kind of player these days.....

I give us a 65% chance to still make the playoffs.

My personal goal is to be in the hunt by Feb still...

Hopefully win sum whisky back from a couple o magpies I know..... grrrr
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-28-2019, 11:40 AM

That was a hard game to watch. Stauffer keeps talking about the battle of Alberta. Not even a wet noodle match these days. No one want's to hit anyone, sloppy passes, pucks jumping, no intensity. Seems like the team has run out of gas or the other teams have got better and we didn't. And whats going on with Leon? He don't even look like the same player from a month ago.

Hope it can be turned around quick, that nice start has faded to black.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:06 PM

How many players will the Oilers have under contract at the end of this season?

10 players under contract so they have to sign 13 players with just of $24 million in cap space barring trades.

If I understand the numbers correctly.

Last edited by JohninAB; 12-28-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:33 PM

I think I just got called a magpie....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-28-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
How many players will the Oilers have under contract at the end of this season?

10 players under contract so they have to sign 13 players with just of $24 million in cap space barring trades.

If I understand the numbers correctly.
Sounds about right. I would guess they try to move Russell M-NTC. Manning is also coming off. Combine that with nurse contract expiring you have 9.5m. That will be more than enough to sign nurse and make room for another Dman or 2 come up with some cash left over. Gags is coming off for over 3 million and kas for 2. Plus another 7 million dollar fourth liners. Plus Smith 2 million.

Starrett is probably ready for a look with the big club. With any luck Benson or Yamamoto will make the big club next year.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Sounds about right. I would guess they try to move Russell M-NTC. Manning is also coming off. Combine that with nurse contract expiring you have 9.5m. That will be more than enough to sign nurse and make room for another Dman or 2 come up with some cash left over. Gags is coming off for over 3 million and kas for 2. Plus another 7 million dollar fourth liners. Plus Smith 2 million.

Starrett is probably ready for a look with the big club. With any luck Benson or Yamamoto will make the big club next year.
Never in my life have I seen a contingency of fans always talking about next year. Lol... man this team sucks
Old 12-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Never in my life have I seen a contingency of fans always talking about next year. Lol... man this team sucks
Pretty sad I know! Every year around this time or sooner, it’s always maybe next year. Pathetic
Old 12-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Haha. Never hurts to plan ahead. We Oilers fans gotta go with what we know. Nothing new to see here move on !!!

Last edited by elk eater; 12-28-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Link

What must make it doubly concerning is their decade of failure comes with an embarrassment of riches that they had at their disposal.

With the number of first overall or very high first round draft picks this team has had in the last decade (or longer) there really is no excuse why they aren't in the elite 3 or 4 teams in the league.

There isn't a single other team in this league that's had the opportunity the Oilers have had, yet it's been completely squandered. What do they have to show for it?

Today it's two excellent players playing on an American league roster with salary cap pain, no secondary scoring, no franchise goal tending or anything close for that matter. How long can those two be expected to perform at that level with no light at the end of the tunnel? And one of them needs the other one on his line or he becomes a rather ordinary player that's over paid.

How many coaches, how many GM's must be sacrificed and take the blame for this abysmal record?

Of course the rabid fan base will come out an say "Oh yeah, but what has Calgary done over that time?"

Fact of the matter is they have no business looking over the fence at any other franchise in this league with the annual tire fire they constantly deal with. With the opportunities that have been presented them their results and failures stand head and shoulders below ANY other team in the league.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
What must make it doubly concerning is their decade of failure comes with an embarrassment of riches that they had at their disposal.

With the number of first overall or very high first round draft picks this team has had in the last decade (or longer) there really is no excuse why they aren't in the elite 3 or 4 teams in the league.

There isn't a single other team in this league that's had the opportunity the Oilers have had, yet it's been completely squandered. What do they have to show for it?

Today it's two excellent players playing on an American league roster with salary cap pain, no secondary scoring, no franchise goal tending or anything close for that matter. How long can those two be expected to perform at that level with no light at the end of the tunnel? And one of them needs the other one on his line or he becomes a rather ordinary player that's over paid.

How many coaches, how many GM's must be sacrificed and take the blame for this abysmal record?

Of course the rabid fan base will come out an say "Oh yeah, but what has Calgary done over that time?"

Fact of the matter is they have no business looking over the fence at any other franchise in this league with the annual tire fire they constantly deal with. With the opportunities that have been presented them their results and failures stand head and shoulders below ANY other team in the league.
8 coaches in the last 10 years and 11 first round picks in the last 10 years. But who’s counting. It’s an absolute debacle like no other in modern day team sports..
Old 12-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Wow, lots of Flames fans around this thread now. I though all the Flames fans flew south in November with the Geese.

Lets re-cap.....

Approximately 24 hours ago the Flames moved 1 point ahead of the Oilers for the first time this season and we are 40 games in. Calgary played 500 hockey in October and November and then had a great December. Oilers had their best October since the 80's, a good November, and a terrible December. So don't get to far ahead yourselves boys, the crash of the spring 2018 wasn't that long ago. And December is almost over and it's a new year.

And if anyone is looking over fences and tossing crap in back yard it is our neighbors to the south.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Wow, lots of Flames fans around this thread now. I though all the Flames fans flew south in November with the Geese.

Lets re-cap.....

Approximately 24 hours ago the Flames moved 1 point ahead of the Oilers for the first time this season and we are 40 games in. Calgary played 500 hockey in October and November and then had a great December. Oilers had their best October since the 80's, a good November, and a terrible December. So don't get to far ahead yourselves boys, the crash of the spring 2018 wasn't that long ago. And December is almost over and it's a new year.

And if anyone is looking over fences and tossing crap in back yard it is our neighbors to the south.
I concur
Old 12-28-2019, 05:51 PM

Ironic that Tyler Wright is director of scouting for the Oilers.
He was one of the biggest first round busts ever...
Old 12-28-2019, 05:53 PM

1 point ahead and thread is taken over by flames fans.
Something we didn’t see this year over on the flames thread....(stay classy Edmonton... )
Took longer than I thought for flames to over take the oilers.
And I predict it will remain that way most if not all the rest of the season.
That said, the oil will play better hockey here soon and be in the play offs this year....
Lol even 1899 is back posting...
Old 12-28-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
1 point ahead and thread is taken over by flames fans.
Something we didn’t see this year over on the flames thread....(stay classy Edmonton... )
Took longer than I thought for flames to over take the oilers.
And I predict it will remain that way most if not all the rest of the season.
That said, the oil will play better hockey here soon and be in the play offs this year....
Lol even 1899 is back posting...
I don’t see us having the goaltending to get in the playoffs. Both are shakier than Rosie Odonnell on a treadmill...
Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Wow, lots of Flames fans around this thread now.
There are a few, all the "negative" comments aren't from Flames fans though....
Old 12-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Lets re-cap.....

All good points.
But the lack of pushback, no grit, no one tried to fire up the team and bring the crowd back in. Chassion was the only one who half assed tried to start something, nothing from Nurse, JJ, or Kassian which was very disappointing.

I got a ticket to the skills competition tomorrow, I’ll go just for the person that got it for me. But with what I saw last night I’d rather go fishing.

BW
Old 12-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Oilers have a pretty light schedule coming up. Should get lots of practice time and hopefully clean up a pile of areas that need attention. Tough teams ahead but we seem to thrive in those games.

I Still think a pile of them need a good ***** chewing though and I don’t think McD has it in him. He lead by example last night and couldn’t seem to drag anyone into the battle with him.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Oilers have a pretty light schedule coming up. Should get lots of practice time and hopefully clean up a pile of areas that need attention. Tough teams ahead but we seem to thrive in those games.

Thrive? Is that what you call it??
That was the biggest game of the year last night. Honestly, so much on the line for 1/2 way through the season.

In all my years of watching/reading about hockey, I dont recall such a harshness coming from the media about a single game in particular. I was stunned reading and watching the media feedback about these guys.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

Lets re-cap.....

Well perhaps the thread name should be changed to "Oilers Fanboy Club, where never is heard a discouraging word"

It seems whenever a little reality and honesty gets interjected from outside the fanboy club feelings get hurt.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Your beef shouldn't be about a Flames fan or two, you should direct your dissatisfaction to the Oilers organization.

They have let your city and fan base down over the last 15 years in unparalleled fashion, current season included. The team is still a house of cards with very little depth and secondary scoring or quality, consistent goal tending. The team is one serious injury away to the "anointed one" from a front row seat at the draft lottery for the umpteenth year in a row.

Flames fans would like nothing more than to take the credit, but this sad story is a home grown tire fire. Nothing more, nothing less.

BD, look forward to reading some of your comments on the Flames thread, you seem to be there often.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Banned

did ANY of you fans watch mcD's interview after the game last night? i really had to feel sorry for the guy......his demeanor was so hopeless it was almost unbelievable.

admittedly i don't know all the in/outs of contracts, but i think it won't take much more of this and he'll be trying to find a way out.

it doesn't take a flames fan to read the tortured way he did the interview.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
did ANY of you fans watch mcD's interview after the game last night? i really had to feel sorry for the guy......his demeanor was so hopeless it was almost unbelievable.

admittedly i don't know all the in/outs of contracts, but i think it won't take much more of this and he'll be trying to find a way out.

McD for 4 first-rounders & a roster player would guarantee the oil another cup in three years. The Avalanche still love Lindros!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
8 coaches in the last 10 years and 11 first round picks in the last 10 years. But who’s counting. It’s an absolute debacle like no other in modern day team sports..
Ohhh other teams have done much more with less.....trade this crap up and start playing heartfull hockey....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Well perhaps the thread name should be changed to "Oilers Fanboy Club, where never is heard a discouraging word"

It seems whenever a little reality and honesty gets interjected from outside the fanboy club feelings get hurt.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Your beef shouldn't be about a Flames fan or two, you should direct your dissatisfaction to the Oilers organization.

They have let your city and fan base down over the last 15 years in unparalleled fashion, current season included. The team is still a house of cards with very little depth and secondary scoring or quality, consistent goal tending. The team is one serious injury away to the "anointed one" from a front row seat at the draft lottery for the umpteenth year in a row.

Flames fans would like nothing more than to take the credit, but this sad story is a home grown tire fire. Nothing more, nothing less.

BD, look forward to reading some of your comments on the Flames thread, you seem to be there often.
Haven't been there since the 19th and my last comment was "boy this is an entertaining game" and I poked fun at Dead Moose.

When I do go to the Flames thread I talk about hockey 90% of the time and poke a little a fun the rest of the time. But I don't spend 99% of my post ripping the Flames apart and insulting the organization and their fans. Carry on as you will. Oilers are in a rough patch right, and if it makes you feel better to keep coming here to only rub it in, then have at it.

Causes it is only the internet anyways, and you might be a 10 year old boy for all I know.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thrive? Is that what you call it??
That was the biggest game of the year last night. Honestly, so much on the line for 1/2 way through the season.

In all my years of watching/reading about hockey, I dont recall such a harshness coming from the media about a single game in particular. I was stunned reading and watching the media feedback about these guys.
Let me clarify :

Not referring to “ Big games “ or the “ Biggest game of the year “ ( which I for one am tired of hearing commentators use every night ) sorry Bessie.

The oilers seem to have the notion that when they play teams lower in the standings or don’t have the big superstar on the other side ... they seem to think they can just mail it in and win. WRONG !!!

For whatever reason when they play those real powerhouse teams they seem to step it up a notch.

They need to learn to bring it every night regardless of the opponent.

It’s worse at home then on the road too.

Real lack of effort and commitment to compete as a whole.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:38 PM

And with Vancouver winning tonight, they push Edmonton out of the last playoff spot. And they have games in hand.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

You a leafs fan 😜

McDavid is fine. He has no intentions of wanting out. That’s just the rest of leagues wishful thinking. Remember he is being paid 12.5 million per year by Katz
And doesn’t want to give the money back.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And with Vancouver winning tonight, they push Edmonton out of the last playoff spot. And they have games in hand.
Welcome to this years oilers thread. Have we seen you here this year yet? If not, great timing....