Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Default makeing snares close easy

what are your guys tricks to makeing your own made snares close fast and easy...i make a basic snare with 3/32 stiff cable, breakaway and camlock... i had them all outside hanging in the trees all spring and summer and now they seem to close harder .... i already put the bend into the loop it still seems like theres to much friction between the cam and cable. Is there anything that would work for a lube that coyote wouldnt notice? anyone have any idias that work
Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
what are your guys tricks to makeing your own made snares close fast and easy...
Load your snares. Snare loading is a method of adjusting the snare so that it has a rounder loop and will work more efficiently. To load the snare, grab the lock with your left hand and about 7 inches of cable with your right hand. Run this portion of cable, in its natural lay, several times over a small round rod or screwdriver that has been clamped in a vise. Do not apply to much pressure on 7X7 cable or the snare will become kinked. The 1X19 cable will take a lot more pressure but you still need to be careful. Practice will teach you how much pressure is needed to provide either cable with a round loop that will close quickly when little pressure is applied to the bottom of the loop.

In the following picture of a well loaded 1X19 cable snare, the loading is to the left of the lock. Load the cable from the lock out, not the cable the lock runs over.

Last edited by tomcat; 08-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 AM

Just to clarify are you saying that in the picture above the load should be on the left side of the lock. Sorry just reread your post and it does say left side. I tried this in the past but on the wrong side of the lock.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Load your snares. Snare loading is a method of adjusting the snare so that it has a rounder loop and will work more efficiently. To load the snare, grab the lock with your left hand and about 7 inches of cable with your right hand. Run this portion of cable, in its natural lay, several times over a small round rod or screwdriver that has been clamped in a vise. Do not apply to much pressure on 7X7 cable or the snare will become kinked. The 1X19 cable will take a lot more pressure but you still need to be careful. Practice will teach you how much pressure is needed to provide either cable with a round loop that will close quickly when little pressure is applied to the bottom of the loop.

In the following picture of a well loaded 1X19 cable snare, the loading is to the left of the lock. Load the cable from the lock out, not the cable the lock runs over.
I do build all my snares loaded i put that slight bend into the end of the cable to make a perfect circle (loaded snare) and with new cable it works....but now i have my snares from last year boiled and weatherd from being outside all summer so they have as much natural sent as possible and when i try them out they seem to have more friction between lock and cam...dont close as easy
Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
I do build all my snares loaded i put that slight bend into the end of the cable to make a perfect circle (loaded snare) and with new cable it works....but now i have my snares from last year boiled and weatherd from being outside all summer so they have as much natural sent as possible and when i try them out they seem to have more friction between lock and cam...dont close as easy
I don't know what to suggest other than to reload them and I would suggest that, that little bend is not necessary and may be part of your problem. A well loaded snare with the lock set in the 10 or 2 o'clock position will pop over the top with the slightest pressure to the bottom of the loop. Other than boiling are you treating your snares with wax or a dip as this may cause them to slow down.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Open and close them a bunch of times kinda work them back and forth, after they sit outside they kinda get grippy
Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Open and close them a bunch of times kinda work them back and forth, after they sit outside they kinda get grippy
yup thats what i find they get grippy from being outside