Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Looking for Skulls and Feathers

Hey Guys and Gals

I have a great deal of friends who are artisits and they know I am a hunter….So... They asked me if I knew where they could get small bird and animal bleached skulls to use in their art. The other question was obtaining interesting feathers from water fowl that would normally go to waste to use in jewellery and other art projects.

Can anyone help? I looked into getting beetles and collecting skulls but I just don't have the space away from my house to do that.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Default waterfowl feathers

If they want to sell this art I suspect they should avoid waterfowl feathers for it is illegal to sell trade or barter any portion of a duck or goose.
Domestic raised bird feathers have no such restrictions. Probably why you never see waterfowl feathers used in dreamcatchers or other art.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Good to know its unfortunate its ok to just let them go to waste but not ok to make use of……
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Call fish and wildlife of AB. ESRD or the federal government about migratory birds. Then and ask them that question. We are Canadian there are many laws that don't make sense. It doesn't mean they aren't laws.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Default anytime you potentially are creating a market for parts of birds it can have a bad effectt

Looking back over almost a hundred years ago feathers were used for fashion and many egrets, herons etc were almost wiped out because of it. I dont think anyone would have problems with your friends using feathers in art they just cant sell them.
Many people keep plucked feathers and down for quilts etc but one of the only duck species to go extinct was the labrador duck which was hunted for feathers (much like the eiders) on its flightless breeding grounds by off season whaling boats in the 1850's on islands in the mouth of the St Lawrence until they were extinct. Some boats reported killing 75000 ducks in each trip and there were many boats coming up from Boston and the eastern seaboard.
Last Labrador duck was seen in 1875 on east coast because at that time everyone slept on down mattresses. The laws prevent anyone from using and creating a financial market for feathers again.

Last edited by wwbirds; 09-04-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4u2nv View Post
Hey Guys and Gals

I have a great deal of friends who are artisits and they know I am a hunter….So... They asked me if I knew where they could get small bird and animal bleached skulls to use in their art. The other question was obtaining interesting feathers from water fowl that would normally go to waste to use in jewellery and other art projects.

Can anyone help? I looked into getting beetles and collecting skulls but I just don't have the space away from my house to do that.

Cheers
Maybe try your local taxidermist?