Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Default Old Bear Spray

Had one old can of bear spray , at least 15 years old maybe 20 . Tried it out and it worked fine . Looks like you want to hit something from no farther away than 8 ft with no wind . Closer is better .

Oh and don't walk throw the mist you just sprayed , lol that stuff floats for a while
Old 02-14-2019, 07:29 PM

I knew I was saving the old cans for something.
For the cost I replace mine when expired but I wouldn't hesitate to give one that's a couple years old to a hiking partner that isn't bringing one.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Default Bear spray

I was told the actual contents dont go bad, its a matter of the full propellent charge cannot be warranted to be there after the expiry date. Much like a fire extinguisher.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 PM

The price has at least doubled for Bear Spray now . Why hasn't my income double also lol

On the can I used it said it expired in early 2011 . Further reading of the label said it was effective to 18 ft , that seem excessive but maybe when new the propellant would be more powerful , rather than the 8 ft range I got , 8 years after the expiry date .
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Ya if your actually using it for bear protection I’d not trust expired spray. Another tip if you practice spray and have the slightest bit of wind be thoughtful when taking a leak.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 AM

I put peanut butter on my expired ones and leave around my camp
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Bear spray

Bear ate our can of bear spray we had in our outfitter tent, guess he nwanted more spice in food.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Those old cans loose pressure over time and do not have the effective range or discharge time as a new can. Also when you first discharge a new can, it will never seal properly again so the propellant will slowly leak out even if you cant see or hear it. Some of the old cans were made from pressed steel so they will rust and or corrode away. I had a can of dog spray do this inside the cab of my truck. It is not fun to clean out. Even if the spray does not aerosolize the fumes will burn your eyes, nose, throat and any skin it touches.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Great thread...reminds me I need to buy a new one this spring.

I save the old cans and use them on my chicken wings before they go in the smoker. Especially id my mother in law is coming over for dinner. Usually cuts her visits short and she talks a lot less.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Expired cans of bear spray are good training aids. You ought to know limitations in how it works.
It is a little too exciting to be finding out with a bear a few feet away.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 PM

I keep a few expired cans to give to friends who want to tag along on hiking or scouting trips.

Otherwise I take the kids in the woods and we practice using them

builds confidence for them and myself, however doing it in front a charging bear would be a different matter
Old 02-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Banned

Talking

Having been directly involved with field studies regarding the effectiveness of bear spray, I now carry my own version:

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-16-2019, 04:15 PM

I got a few expired cans of spray. No one would volunteer to see if they are still effective. Carried them for years and never had a need for them. That is good. Now what do I do with em?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post

I got a few expired cans of spray. No one would volunteer to see if they are still effective. Carried them for years and never had a need for them. That is good. Now what do I do with em?
Your local landfill or transfer station should have a barrel for them. Our transfer station in Jasper sends them to someone around Lethbridge for disposal, but the safety must be on each can. It is considered as hazardous waste.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 AM

Default Bear spray

Honda 450, keep your cans of expired Bear spray and throw them at the grizz just before he eats you for lunch. My son now carries the same bear spray as Iron noggin!
Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 AM

I got a couple expired cans laying around. I’ve been meaning to take them out and practice with them. Costco had a great sale on them 30$ for 2cans of UDAP here in montana. Probably should pick some up just for when friends visit.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Honda 450, keep your cans of expired Bear spray and throw them at the grizz just before he eats you for lunch. My son now carries the same bear spray as Iron noggin!
I can't carry a gun......company rules. I fly fish in a lot of grizz country and don't carry a gun. Got a few in the trailer though. hehhe. Dang samsquanch.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 PM

Old cans _can_ happen to be OK years after expiration. They also _can_ happen to be disasters waiting to happen... Tested one, well past the warranty... and it spilled all over my hand, with no spraying at all. Good I had training and plenty of water for proper cleanup! Pressure was there, just was not directing where it should be, the valve clogged and seals degraded. Suddenly ended up with dangerous object in hands - can't leave it in the forest, can't pack it back... Had to puncture the thing remotely to relieve pressure and then thoroughly wash it for safe disposal. Could be worse - had i happened in front of a bear, would have two problems instead of one!